Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 12:49 AM

67 posts, read 167,487 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I grew up in Boston and am currently living in California. I am moving back to the Boston area for the summer, and I was wondering if there are any gyms where I can pay on a monthly basis? I remember trying to do this before and didn't have much luck, as most gyms require you to sign a year-long contract. Boston Sports Club used to allow you to take over someone else's contract, but they no longer do that. It doesn't make sense for me to sign a year-long commitment because my plans for the fall are still up in the air and i'm not sure where i'll be living.

I've never had a gym membership before (besides that one time at Boston Sports Club-- I took over the last 3 months of someone else's contract). When I was in college, I would just use the gym at school. I graduated college last semester and am now using the gym at my apartment complex. So no real need for a gym membership. However, it's doubtful that the new place I move into in Boston will have a gym.

If anyone has any recommendations of a gym I can go to, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm even willing to sign a 6-month contract if necessary. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 02:21 AM

17 posts, read 44,354 times
Gym it on comm ave is a great option. $20 per mo but they don't have classes. . No contract and brand new.

Golds is another option - I believe about $50 per mo.

You could also try beacon hill fitness. If you are a woman there is benefitness in brookline. Most gums will probably let you do a month to month but you will get hit with a higher fee.

Whatever you do stay away from planet fitness and work out world. They are cheap per month but I know many people who were unable to get out of contracts after moving, or had month to month memberships and they would not stop billing after cancellation.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:27 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
The YMCA gyms are on a month to month basis. There's one in Oak Square, Brighton and a nice one in Newton Four Corners by exit 17 on the Mass Pike. And that one has a big parking lot.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:06 PM

67 posts, read 167,487 times
Those sound like great options, I will definitely check them out. Thanks so much!

Old 09-01-2016, 07:45 PM

371 posts, read 526,465 times
has anyone ever been to the YMCA in Quincy?

Old 09-02-2016, 06:27 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,115,788 times
Boston Sports Clubs has a month to month option

Old 09-02-2016, 06:55 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,790,414 times
Most have month to month options now. It’ll just be a bit more expensive than if you sign an annual contract. Gym it on Comm ave and Watertown is a good choice (I belong to the Comm Ave one). There are classes BTW, just not like the bigger places. It’s slightly more than 20/month (Which is an amazing deal) and has a join fee of like $40.

I checked out BSC and they do have month to month but their join fee for that was something over $100. And I heard that they are a pain to terminate.

Best of luck

Old 09-02-2016, 01:34 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Just so you know, Gym It is NOT a good choice if you like actual weight training. They actually kinda look down on people who lift too heavy and are obviously strong. Kinda like Planet Fitness. It's mostly a place where people go to run on a treadmill for 30 minutes. If that's all you want, then it's cheap and a good choice. If you want more, you will be disappointed.

I go to Beacon Hill Athletic Club. There are locations in Brighton, Brookline, North Station, a few other places too. They do month to month for 65 dollars I think. I've been going there for almost 4 years, so I guess they're decent enough.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:06 AM

5,788 posts, read 5,101,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnewyorkcity View Post
has anyone ever been to the YMCA in Quincy?
Yup, its huge and very new and very very nice.Even more parking will be available soon, once the new lot is complete (where the old Y used to be..finally demolished and removed). The Y in Quincy is pricey but you get two pools and whole lot of stuff with that membership.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:07 AM

5,788 posts, read 5,101,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Just so you know, Gym It is NOT a good choice if you like actual weight training. They actually kinda look down on people who lift too heavy and are obviously strong. Kinda like Planet Fitness. It's mostly a place where people go to run on a treadmill for 30 minutes. If that's all you want, then it's cheap and a good choice. If you want more, you will be disappointed.

I go to Beacon Hill Athletic Club. There are locations in Brighton, Brookline, North Station, a few other places too. They do month to month for 65 dollars I think. I've been going there for almost 4 years, so I guess they're decent enough.
You mean they look down on muscleheads who grunt really loud, throw weights around and sweat like rain all over the work stations? How is that bad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston