Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 01:28 PM

10 posts, read 17,505 times

Advertisements

I was recently offered and accepted a position with my company in Boston. I will be working in the Financial District, and think my rent budget will top out at around $2,500/month.

I'm relocating from CT. I'm a single woman in my mid-30s, and very much an anti-social homebody outside of work. I don't have a lot of "stuff" and I don't need anything bigger than a 1 bedroom - a studio would also likely work for me.

My co-workers are discouraging me from living "too far" from work - they think something in walking distance or a short T ride would be ideal for someone establishing a life in the area.

Restaurants and nightlife and social scene are not important to me. I am a big hockey fan, so I will likely attend some Bruins games when I have some extra money in the budget... that's about as social as I get.

I do have a car that I likely will not give up as I will be heading back to CT frequently - so I need parking, either included in my housing costs or in a garage.

A roommate is not an option. I will adjust my budget or lower my standards before doing that...

What are some good neighborhoods to consider? Some suggestions I've been given are North End, West End, Beacon Hill, Back Bay, Charlestown... but it's all overwhelming. Everyone seems to have different opinions.

Charlestown seems to be out of my budget, North End has parking issues, not familiar with Back Bay or West End... I like the feel of Beacon Hill, but also seems expensive.

I'm looking for some more opinion to be thrown into the mix. I need to find somewhere by the end of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 01:42 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,729,725 times
We were in temporary housing in this building and I really enjoyed the building and the area. It looks like a studio would be in your price range, but I don't know how much extra parking is -- you'd have to contact them to see about availability and price. It had very nice covered parking that was well-lit and convenient.
Third Square Apartments - Cambridge, MA 02142 | Apartments for Rent

This was in the Kendall Square (Cambridge) area. I would like it if I were in your position, because it was extremely convenient to the T, and wouldn't be a bad commute to the financial district. There are also lots of close-by restaurants, that you can walk to for takeout or for delivery. It's not far from shopping and movie theaters, and I think it would be a great place for a single person.

This particular place is on the high end. You could look in that area and see what else is around.

Old 10-02-2016, 01:54 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,236,397 times
The new Avalon North Station tower has apartments within your price range.

Old 10-02-2016, 02:45 PM

Thank you both - I will add Third Square to my list to check out.

I am actually waiting to hear back from Avalon North Station's leasing office - I found them in my search and saw they had studios in my price range. Just need to make sure they will be inhabitable in the time frame I need...

Old 10-02-2016, 02:49 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,699,483 times
many young people also like JP as it has good transportation into Boston. good luck in your job and Boston I did think of South Boston also if you can find a place-

Old 10-02-2016, 05:06 PM

176 posts, read 251,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
many young people also like JP as it has good transportation into Boston. good luck in your job and Boston I did think of South Boston also if you can find a place-
Yeah, if you want walking convenience and a high rise (doorman, pool, gym) there should be options within your budget near the Financial District, Downtown, in the Seaport, West End and Chinatown.

One of the things you should be sure to look into if you're renting in a high rise is pricing stability. I know some West End complexes are notorious for attracting renters with a reasonable teaser rate for the first year, and then jacking up the price by a considerable amount, basically forcing the prospect of a move.

If you're looking for a neighborhood with a more residential lean your best bet for a short commute to the financial district is the orange line. You may want to check out the South End around the Back Bay and Mass Ave. T stops, Jamaica Plain around the Stony Brook T Stop, or Fort Hill around the Roxbury Crossing T Stop. The neighborhoods on the Orange line can change block to block, so you're going to want to spend some time checking out an area before you commit.

Best of luck on your search!

Old 10-02-2016, 05:15 PM

Thanks so much! While a short commute walking or riding the T would be ideal, I'm open to anywhere as long as the commute is no more than about 30 min via some form of public transportation.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:23 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,435,107 times
A $2500 budget for 1 BR is pretty good. You should consider some of the new apartments at Assembly Square in Somerville.

Somerville Apartments in Middlesex County, Massachusetts | AVA Somerville

Easy access to the Financial District on the Orange Line and garage parking.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:05 PM

11,063 posts, read 12,463,801 times
Anywhere. Most newcomers to the city seem to be exactly as you describe yourself. Plenty of choices to hole yourself up and not talk to undesirables. I think you'll find most of the core areas to be very much along those lines.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:23 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,699,483 times
Roslindale on the west Roxbury line has bus and train and is safe also-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston