Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 09:41 AM

513 posts, read 646,494 times

Advertisements

I stand corrected. Anecdotally, the area seems to be more diverse compared to when I was growing up.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:42 AM

143 posts, read 158,605 times
I used to visit Boston and the Cape almost every summer growing up for family vacations. To this day it remains one of my favorite cities and New England in general is probably my favorite region in the US to visit. I would say the reason there is probably a perception of racism in Boston is primarily the bussing issue back in the 70s. To a lesser extent I think there is also a perception that the Boston area isn't as racially diverse (which may or may not be true, I didn't look up the numbers)as other northern cities, such as NY, Philadelphia, Baltimore, DC, Detroit, Chicago, etc. that in turn probably leads to the perception that it isn't as welcoming. I don't personally think that's the case, but if we're talking national perception that could be part of it

Anecdotally, as much as I do enjoy Boston and the people of Boston, I do remember hearing racial comments at Fenway Park, so the Adam Jones thing didn't surprise me. Granted my experience was Red Sox-Yankees in the Summer of 2004 so maybe that alone was the issue, since I never witnessed any such problems at Fenway in any other maybe 10 or so games I've attended. Regardless, that was a first for me at a pro sports venue. I especially felt bad for anyone who had their kids there

Old 05-03-2017, 10:03 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,954,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

Robert Kraft supporting Trump
Number one for inequality
No black movies set in Boston or New England in general

The list goes on and on... but don't worry black ppl are liars and are making up crazy stories.
I read your post with great interest because you have definitely highlighted the pervasive racism/economic disadvantages for blacks and latinos in the Greater Boston area. I would add that the economic/real estate segregation has been more hurtful on a day to day basis then the events that pop up from time to time. Please note that I am not condoning racism either, just focusing on the issues faced by people of color on a daily basis – jobs, commutes, and houses/condos – this is where Boston fails the most. The bread and butter issues.

However in the spirt of accuracy, I do want to challenge a few items that you listed here:

Robert Kraft supporting Donald Trump: Not sure how this is racist? Mike Tyson, Omorosa also supported DT. I am not fan of the President or Kraft for that matter, however don’t see the connection here.

Number one for inequality: Do you have any data to back this up? I always thought of place like San Francisco being worse for inequality (economic and Real Estate). This is something that is near and dear to my heart so if you can share any reports/information that would be great.

No black movies set in Boston or New England in general: Blue Hill Ave was set in Boston. It’s a great move, definitely check it out if you haven’t. Also, Amistad was set in New England.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:13 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alidmc View Post
I stand corrected. Anecdotally, the area seems to be more diverse compared to when I was growing up.
It is much more diverse it's just the diversity is remarkably concentrated into a few towns/citie that have sort of been designated as okay for minorities.

E.g. Malden Randolph Revere Lynn Everett Stoughton Milton Brockton Chelsea Salem Quincy..

Old 05-03-2017, 10:16 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I read your post with great interest because you have definitely highlighted the pervasive racism/economic disadvantages for blacks and latinos in the Greater Boston area. I would add that the economic/real estate segregation has been more hurtful on a day to day basis then the events that pop up from time to time. Please note that I am not condoning racism either, just focusing on the issues faced by people of color on a daily basis – jobs, commutes, and houses/condos – this is where Boston fails the most. The bread and butter issues.

However in the spirt of accuracy, I do want to challenge a few items that you listed here:

Robert Kraft supporting Donald Trump: Not sure how this is racist? Mike Tyson, Omorosa also supported DT. I am not fan of the President or Kraft for that matter, however don’t see the connection here.

Number one for inequality: Do you have any data to back this up? I always thought of place like San Francisco being worse for inequality (economic and Real Estate). This is something that is near and dear to my heart so if you can share any reports/information that would be great.

No black movies set in Boston or New England in general: Blue Hill Ave was set in Boston. It’s a great move, definitely check it out if you haven’t. Also, Amistad was set in New England.
Blue Hill Ave (Ididnt think anyone here would know that, also it was shot in Vancouver and without local landmarks so it fell short for me ), Squeeze and to a lesser extent there was a Tyler Perry movie set on Martha's Vineyard about 5 years ago. But that's it in like all time history..

Report: Boston Ranks No. 1 For City Income Inequality | WBUR News most Unequal city

Old 05-03-2017, 10:17 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
I have yet to understand why ethnicities separating themselves into certain neighborhoods is "racist."

Old 05-03-2017, 10:24 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Lets remember Massachusetts had a blind black Governor!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deval_Patrick

Old 05-03-2017, 10:25 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,109,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I have yet to understand why ethnicities separating themselves into certain neighborhoods is "racist."
If it's voluntary segregation, it's not.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:21 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,202,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
What?!! Are you serious?!! I never knew about this incident

Is The Walhburgers burger spot nice place to eat?!
Never been to Wahlburgers so I can't comment.

Mark Wahlberg recently tried to get a pardon for his conviction. From all accounts, he has turned his life around dramatically and is an every day mass attendee. He was seeking the pardon as convicted felons often cannot get a liquor license in many municipalities and his record was preventing the ability of the restaurant chain to expand.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:22 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,202,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alidmc View Post
I would venture to guess that this reputation goes back to the bussing days. Boston made national headlines for this in the 70s and the reputation never went away.
In addition, Mass. is very racially and economically segregated. It is slowly improving, but the pace is much slower than other areas of the country. This segregation does nothing to help people understand others who are different from them and can insulate those individuals who foster ignorant beliefs.
Yep - remember this photo:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston