Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 07:42 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,036,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Yep - remember this photo:
And everyone in that photo is either retired or pretty close to being retired.

It's annoying that Bostonians born 30 years after this incident occurred are still being held accountable for it.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:33 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,696,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
I'm from Baltimore and we do have our own set of racial problems, agitators and collaborators. But, it seems that Boston is historically nefarious for its racist nature more than any other city I've encountered.

I remember hearing a friend of mine from Dorchester who once stated, "In South Boston (Southies) don't like f*&&n anybody: Blacks, Puerto Ricans, Italians and even other whites who are not from South Boston!!! It's been like that since I was a kids and it remains so to this very day!" LOL
Unfortunately, there was at least some truth to his or her statement. In the mid- to late-70s a young man had his head smashed in with a baseball bat or something of that nature, just because his car broke down in a South Boston neighborhood, and he was not from there. He was white and just trying to get his car moving again, nothing more provocative than that.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:23 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,231,987 times
Whalburgers is pretty good. On par with other burger chains like tasty burger.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:14 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,526,069 times
Boston is a very very strange place when it comes to race relations and race relations with Black Athletes.

They did this to Jones, but what color was David Ortiz (who's probably their most popular modern jock after Brady)?

The Red Sox were the last team to integrate and Bill Russell loved his team but hated living there since the racism was so bad.

However the Bruins had the first NHL Black Player who, while he had a very short stay, never had a racial problem with their fans in Boston.

Sounds Bipolar ��

Old 05-04-2017, 05:30 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Boston is a very very strange place when it comes to race relations and race relations with Black Athletes.

They did this to Jones, but what color was David Ortiz (who's probably their most popular modern jock after Brady)?

The Red Sox were the last team to integrate and Bill Russell loved his team but hated living there since the racism was so bad.

However the Bruins had the first NHL Black Player who, while he had a very short stay, never had a racial problem with their fans in Boston.

Sounds Bipolar ��
Many Bostonians see minorities as fundamentally helpless, without agency. Don't like seeing minorities doing well without their benevolent help.

As for Ortiz, anyone on the 2004 team is going to be much beloved. Ortiz was on all three championship teams too.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:41 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,256,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
And everyone in that photo is either retired or pretty close to being retired.

It's annoying that Bostonians born 30 years after this incident occurred are still being held accountable for it.
Yep, it was over 40 years ago. Back in the late 80's, what were people saying about Germans born in the 1940s and after? They're not accountable for Hitler's actions. I think that pretty much dwarfs busing.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:52 AM

1,180 posts, read 983,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I have yet to understand why ethnicities separating themselves into certain neighborhoods is "racist."
A 'Forgotten History' Of How The U.S. Government Segregated America : NPR

Old 05-04-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Scientist View Post
The government is definitely to blame but quite a lot. The federal government, local government, is all very nefarious and into social engineering. Wish more people weren't so naive. But I'm responding to the idea that by people freely moving to be with people more like them is racist. It's not.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:40 AM

4,524 posts, read 5,096,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
*Huh??!!! Hahahahahahahahahahahaha! How does Mark "Markie Mark" Wahlberg fit into your list?
Mark Wahlberg, as a teen, went to prison for verbally and physically attacking African American and Vietnamese individuals -- he freely used the N-word. He sent a Vietnamese man to the hospital. He has since fully apologized and been fully pardoned by Massachusetts (in 2014 I believe). He deeply regrets this history and has been liberal politically in his adult life -- supporting Obama twice. I believe Wahlberg was a product of a racist environment in Boston and he has admitted he was playing up to his gang members. Today he seems like a decent guy but it just goes to show that the city he grew up in -- obviously to this day viz the Adam Jones incident -- still has serious racial issues DESPITE being a very blue/liberal city politically. Boston has always been paradoxical in this sense.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
still has serious racial issues DESPITE being a very blue/liberal city politically. Boston has always been paradoxical in this sense.
It's almost as if being "liberal" doesn't really have anything to do with racial tolerance (if I didn't know better, of course).

Some might not see any logical explanation for using the word "despite" in this sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston