Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 07:44 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Is it not fair to compare downtowns? Or suburbs either? You can compare aspects of different cities. No idea why you can't do it in this case. Not comparing downtown to a suburb or anything.

I think this is a weak argument.

But yes, Chicago is certainly ridiculous when it comes to tax burden. Still, and this is the point many here are missing, it IS considerably more affordable. I don't want to hear about less salary or whatever. How far your dollar goes elsewhere, in 90% of all US cities, you are a lot better off financially. I understand the point about job availability. But the people on this forum likely don't have to worry about that. Also, people who post here thinking about moving typically are saying "I have a job here if I want it", such as this thread. So I think I'm being pretty fair.
But it's not comparing downtowns. It could be fair to compare a 45 minute trip to downtown in one city to a 45 minute trip to downtown in another, but you didn't. (Even this, though, is not so simple. You may also need to compare the drive to areas other than downtown that are common destinations, such as other employment centers, or sports complexes or areas of activity/shopping.)

You can be 45 minutes to downtown and still be within the city limits in Chicago. Not the case in Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 07:46 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
But it's not comparing downtowns. It could be fair to compare a 45 minute trip to downtown in one city to a 45 minute trip to downtown in another, but you didn't. (Even this, though, is not so simple. You may also need to compare the drive to areas other than downtown that are common destinations, such as other employment centers, or sports complexes or areas of activity/shopping.)

You can be 45 minutes to downtown and still be within the city limits in Chicago. Not the case in Boston.
Yes, I am aware that Chicago is bigger.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
One missing point is the velocity of the price increase in just the last 5 years. Prices have increased about 30% overall. I'm pretty sure 'most' people's salary did not increase 30% and rates are higher than 5 years ago too.

People had always complained it was expensive, that's always been true but right now it's beyond expensive, it's unattainable unless you are in top 5% salary bracket for good school district
Yep, even in our supposedly healthy economy, cost of living is far outpacing wages.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:07 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
ND has too little housing. Could easily be corrected. Booming economy doesn't HAVE to lead to insanely high prices. Actually, a truly "booming" economy would have more plentiful everything at ever lower prices. Not sure how a boom is really a boom if nobody can afford much. That's another conversation though.

But I do think that there are plenty of other cities that are better than Boston, depending on who you are. Crummier? Maybe. But sometimes Boston feels too bland and "safe" (ever homogenizing culture) these days.

There are some. Chicago is one. 90% of them are worse, pretty easily, though.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
There are some. Chicago is one. 90% of them are worse, pretty easily, though.
I don't really know much about cities in the south or west. I could see those being awful. But I am a fan of most midwestern and east coast major cities.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:52 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
I don't really know much about cities in the south or west. I could see those being awful. But I am a fan of most midwestern and east coast major cities.

I guess it also depends on what you call a city. I mean, it's a legal form of government, technically, but lost of people wouldn't consider say, Oshkosh, WI a real city, despite it legally being so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston