Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 09:36 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post

I spent large chunks of my life hanging out and living in Mattapan, Egleston Sq, Dudley Sq, Jackson Sq, etc. Trust me, I could show you parts of Chicago that make these areas look like Newton. Nothing posted here is “fraud” unless being in areas that are majority black really frightens you that much. Truth is you’re highly unlikely to be victimized, especially if you’re not a black or brown male who may be misidentified as being a local gang member. My white female roommate liked off of Cummings Highway for years with no issues.

And this is what makes people "uncomfortable".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 12:09 PM

17,681 posts, read 9,164,338 times
Quote:
If you’re making “major life decisions” based from info gathered from an online forum, then you’re an idiot. I’ve lived in 3 major cities since joining CD (Chicago, LA, and now NYC) and while I appreciate the advice, I do more research beyond this.
I think it's great that you did additional research, but I believe the city-data forums are generally viewed as the most reliable source for relocation info. I certainly wouldn't call someone an idiot for relying on info posted here. If you know of a better source for relocation info, please share it with the rest of us.

Quote:
I spent large chunks of my life hanging out and living in Mattapan, Egleston Sq, Dudley Sq, Jackson Sq, etc. Trust me, I could show you parts of Chicago that make these areas look like Newton.
If the only positive thing you can say about these areas is that they are not as bad as some areas in Chicago...

Quote:
Nothing posted here is “fraud” unless being in areas that are majority black really frightens you that much. Truth is you’re highly unlikely to be victimized, especially if you’re not a black or brown male who may be misidentified as being a local gang member. My white female roommate liked off of Cummings Highway for years with no issues.
You misunderstood my post. People come here seeking honest and accurate relocation info from locals. When someone is deliberately posting misleading info for whatever reason (boredom? mental illness?), that person should be called out for being a fraud.

The racial commentary is nothing more than deflection.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:16 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I think it's great that you did additional research, but I believe the city-data forums are generally viewed as the most reliable source for relocation info. I certainly wouldn't call someone an idiot for relying on info posted here. If you know of a better source for relocation info, please share it with the rest of us.

If the only positive thing you can say about these areas is that they are not as bad as some areas in Chicago...

You misunderstood my post. People come here seeking honest and accurate relocation info from locals. When someone is deliberately posting misleading info for whatever reason (boredom? mental illness?), that person should be called out for being a fraud.

The racial commentary is nothing more than deflection.
I have lots of positive things to say about all the areas I’ve listed. If I could, I would buy a home in all of them. Of course listing the positives would just fall on the deaf ears of those who choose to only see the negatives, including the people who see majority POC areas as a negative by itself.

And honey, you haven’t been on this site long enough to start crying “fraud” towards seasoned posters, especially the ones with stars by their names.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:22 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,231,152 times
People have a warped view of danger. You're much more likely to get hurt driving in from a "safe" suburb then you are from being near high crime inner city and taking the train in.

Last edited by tysmith95; 03-14-2018 at 01:15 PM..

Old 03-14-2018, 12:22 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well I can only hope they’re uncomfortable enough to buy out on the suburbs. They’ve already caused prices in JP, Lower Mills, and Fort Hill to spike up to ridiculous highs. Mattapan is already losing a lot of the Haitian flavor I enjoyed about it (thankfully one of my favorite spots is still standing).

Old 03-14-2018, 01:09 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
If you’re making “major life decisions” based from info gathered from an online forum, then you’re an idiot. I’ve lived in 3 major cities since joining CD (Chicago, LA, and now NYC) and while I appreciate the advice, I do more research beyond this.

I spent large chunks of my life hanging out and living in Mattapan, Egleston Sq, Dudley Sq, Jackson Sq, etc. Trust me, I could show you parts of Chicago that make these areas look like Newton. Nothing posted here is “fraud” unless being in areas that are majority black really frightens you that much. Truth is you’re highly unlikely to be victimized, especially if you’re not a black or brown male who may be misidentified as being a local gang member. My white female roommate liked off of Cummings Highway for years with no issues.

Oh wait, what am I saying? No, don’t move here, you will be murdered on the spot! Don’t move here! In fact, if you moved to the area in the past 5 years, you should for sure leave before you press your luck any further! Stay far away and take your gentrification dollars with you! Some of us displaced Bostonians will make the sacrifice and buy in these areas.
Stop. Stop. NOTHING in Chicago makes Dudley square 'look like Newton' or Rgleston or Ruggles or whatever. Boston forums love randomly picking out the absolute tip worst areas of the country and saying hey at least it's not that. All those areas you listed are extremely dangerous compared to an average us town and are typically dangerous inner city neighborhoods. Good neighborhoods with character but also plagued with gangs and drugs. Full stop. I literally had friend from the south side and west side of Chicago (Austin and Siuth Shore. Neighborhoods) to be exact. They said to me "y'all really don't have sh*t") they also said they were uncomfortable by the ticket nature of the three decrees in the hood and said the place made them uncomfortable. This was in reference to the intersection of Morton and blue hill, magazine and George's street, uphams corner and to the area near franklin field.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:29 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Stop. Stop. NOTHING in Chicago makes Dudley square 'look like Newton' or Rgleston or Ruggles or whatever. Boston forums love randomly picking out the absolute tip worst areas of the country and saying hey at least it's not that. All those areas you listed are extremely dangerous compared to an average us town and are typically dangerous inner city neighborhoods. Good neighborhoods with character but also plagued with gangs and drugs. Full stop. I literally had friend from the south side and west side of Chicago (Austin and Siuth Shore. Neighborhoods) to be exact. They said to me "y'all really don't have sh*t") they also said they were uncomfortable by the ticket nature of the three decrees in the hood and said the place made them uncomfortable. This was in reference to the intersection of Morton and blue hill, magazine and George's street, uphams corner and to the area near franklin field.
What's hilarious is considering where these people on this board live in the area. Like they know anything at all about Mattapan. Oh but they went to a restaurant there once. I guess I take it back.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
And honey, you haven’t been on this site long enough to start crying “fraud” towards seasoned posters, especially the ones with stars by their names.
You may be impressed with high post counts and stars (whatever that means), but credibility is far more important in my opinion.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
All those areas you listed are extremely dangerous compared to an average us town and are typically dangerous inner city neighborhoods.
Exactly. And for those that want to turn this into a race issue, I'd guess that the vast majority of people (white, black, brown, yellow, purple, etc) are not comfortable in these gang infested areas.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:23 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,111,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
we were not uncomfortable until someone at the hotel told us later on that it was nicknamed murderpan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston