Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 04:48 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
The North End is pretty tiny though. I don’t know if it’s fair to compare it with larger neighborhoods like Southie and Mattapan.
Yea I totally agree. The white major neighborhood is South Boston at 76%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 05:49 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
The growth in total population is pretty impressive (where did they cram all those people?)
Well, being that Boston's population at its peak was over 800k, I'm guessing they can squeeze 'em in somehow!

(scroll down four pages to population graph)
http://www.bostonplans.org/getattach...e-fb5a80becd34

Old 09-19-2018, 08:12 PM

39 posts, read 30,327 times
Boston is now one of only 2 major cities where Dominicans are the largest Hispanic group (the other being NYC). There are also large numbers of Puerto Ricans and Central/South Americans. Dominicans and Puerto Ricans both number at about 45,000 each, meaning Caribbean Latinos represent 2/3rds of Boston Latinos and about 13% of the city together, reminiscent of the Bronx (particularly southwestern Boston where PRs/DRs share areas with blacks, compared to more Central/South American dominated East Boston). Boston also has a sizeable Portuguese speaking population, Cape Verdeans and Brazilians.

As for blacks, I think West Indians (especially Haitians) outnumber American Blacks. The only city I imagine West Indians make up a larger portion of the black population is Miami. I think all populations are growing, just the Hispanic, Black, Asian communities are growing significantly faster the the white population. Very unique city

Old 09-19-2018, 08:27 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,231,987 times
Quote:
The North End is pretty tiny though. I don’t know if it’s fair to compare it with larger neighborhoods like Southie and Mattapan.
Southie still doesn't have a lot of diversity. The only reason why there's any diversity is because of the public housing, the market rate section of Southie is probably 80% or more white.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Southie still doesn't have a lot of diversity. The only reason why there's any diversity is because of the public housing, the market rate section of Southie is probably 80% or more white.
more like 85%+ white. Charlestown is the same situation. They're not diverse places at all and it is unlikely they ever will be.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:20 AM

6,807 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Mattapan also isn’t very racially diverse accounting to BostonBorn’s numbers. However I imagine if you broke the numbers down further into ethnicity rather than race, Mattapan would become much more diverse than Southie.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:36 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,118,146 times
Quote:
It is very diverse if you count the different variations of Vineyard Vines shirts, and Sperry top-siders.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Mattapan also isn’t very racially diverse accounting to BostonBorn’s numbers. However I imagine if you broke the numbers down further into ethnicity rather than race, Mattapan would become much more diverse than Southie.
Undoubtedly. I'd guess Haitians would be the largest group followed by African Americans, then Dominicans, then Trinidadians and Jamaicans, trailed by Bajans and Puerto Ricans, and then White people.

IMO those who live in expensive white enclaves of the metro miss out on the diversity of the area. MOre so than in other large urban areas...Lifestyle wise, ethnically, occupationally. I think a lot of white individuals moving to Southie or Somerville even Savin Hill are kind of missing out on a lot of positive aspects of the city. Every time I go to (drive through really) Southie or Somerville I am inundated with boredom.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:24 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
IMO those who live in expensive white enclaves of the metro miss out on the diversity of the area. MOre so than in other large urban areas...Lifestyle wise, ethnically, occupationally. I think a lot of white individuals moving to Southie or Somerville even Savin Hill are kind of missing out on a lot of positive aspects of the city. Every time I go to (drive through really) Southie or Somerville I am inundated with boredom.
I’m with you until the last sentence. I agree that living in an area surrounded by people with different backgrounds, cultures, and ethnicities has tons of benefits. For me the big thing is food; I love trying out new restaurants and such. However, despite being whiter I don’t know if I’d say that Somerville is more boring than Mattapan and I drive through each often enough. (I can’t remember the last time I set foot in South Boston). Chelsea is also very diverse, but that doesn’t mean it’s inherently an exciting place.

And not to be “that guy”, but if you’re specifying “Haitian” and “Bajan”, then you can also say “Irish” and “Italian” instead of just “white people”.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:02 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,571,080 times
^ +1; somerville actually has a lot of haitian restauraunts and central american corner stores eventhough its only like 10% black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston