Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 08:31 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,116,611 times

Advertisements

I vote Newton for you if you want to keep your car around. Get close to one of the centers and it will feel a lot less suburban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 08:54 AM

17,679 posts, read 9,168,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78Record View Post
I own a car and will be taking it with me (I love long drives on the weekends)
Quote:
I've lived in NYC, Miami, Orlando, DC Area (Northern VA), and I'm now in Syracuse, NY.
Did you have a car in NYC?

Old 02-19-2019, 03:49 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,185,254 times
Do you insist on very new to modern apartments, or are older or even vintage places okay?

Don't discount Quincy on the red line. North Quincy station is closest to Park Street station for a transfer to Back Bay on the green line; 25 minutes at most to Park Street on weekday mornings if all runs smoothly.

On nice days when you have time, it's 12-22 minutes or so to stroll thru the Boston Common and Public Garden to Back Bay. Doesn't get much more Bostonian or desirable than that!

North Quincy has a few hi-rise modern apartment buildings, some a stroll to the subway, others a longer walk or bus or Uber and Lyft. You'll have water and distant skyline views from some units in some buildings and likely better value. The Marina Bay area there is more secluded but desirable. There's a new small luxury building on Victory Road there, near the boat service but the ferry doesn't go near Back Bay. I think $2,500 could get you in there.

Otherwise, Quincy is generally working-class white, many Irish still living here, more and more young professionals moving here along with a very big Chinese population and many Asian eateries in different parts of town. An improving city, for sure. A section in Wollaston is on Quincy Shore Drive and the beach, if you like walking or running.

Only 10 miles to the airport from parts of Quincy, and relatively safe nowadays.

And it's historic, as it's the "City of Presidents" with both the John Adams and John Quincy Adams birthplaces still here...

I agree it may not be your first choice versus other places cited, but maybe worth a look for you or other newcomers reading here...

Old 02-20-2019, 05:51 PM

11 posts, read 8,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Did you have a car in NYC?
No I did not the time but then I move to Northern VA and got my car.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Do you insist on very new to modern apartments, or are older or even vintage places okay?

Don't discount Quincy on the red line. North Quincy station is closest to Park Street station for a transfer to Back Bay on the green line; 25 minutes at most to Park Street on weekday mornings if all runs smoothly.

On nice days when you have time, it's 12-22 minutes or so to stroll thru the Boston Common and Public Garden to Back Bay. Doesn't get much more Bostonian or desirable than that!

North Quincy has a few hi-rise modern apartment buildings, some a stroll to the subway, others a longer walk or bus or Uber and Lyft. You'll have water and distant skyline views from some units in some buildings and likely better value. The Marina Bay area there is more secluded but desirable. There's a new small luxury building on Victory Road there, near the boat service but the ferry doesn't go near Back Bay. I think $2,500 could get you in there.

Otherwise, Quincy is generally working-class white, many Irish still living here, more and more young professionals moving here along with a very big Chinese population and many Asian eateries in different parts of town. An improving city, for sure. A section in Wollaston is on Quincy Shore Drive and the beach, if you like walking or running.

Only 10 miles to the airport from parts of Quincy, and relatively safe nowadays.

And it's historic, as it's the "City of Presidents" with both the John Adams and John Quincy Adams birthplaces still here...

I agree it may not be your first choice versus other places cited, but maybe worth a look for you or other newcomers reading here...

Thank you. I don't mind being in the suburb because I don't need to be in the heart of everything. I prefer somewhere that when I get home its easy for me to relax and be at peace. However, I have to take the commute time into consideration because of work. Your description of North Quincy is quite appealing, I will have to look into the area and the travel time.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:53 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,063,075 times
Nicer parts of Dorchester are another good option if you’re looking for a sub-$2500 good sized apartment, reasonable commute time and want to keep your car - you’re very close to the red line for a short commute downtown, many of the apartments come with off-street parking spots, and recently renovated units are often nicer than the much more expensive new construction “luxury” plywood boxes.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:57 PM

17,679 posts, read 9,168,053 times
Quote:
No I did not the time but then I move to Northern VA and got my car.
You can find what you're looking for in Brookline. It's nice, it's safe, and it's very close to Back Bay.

Your car is going to be a hassle. And you don't want to live in Dorchester.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:38 AM

50 posts, read 55,213 times
Cambridge.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:23 AM

875 posts, read 663,314 times
Brookline would be a good option based on your criteria and budget - good access to back bay via the T, safe, lots of 30 somethings living there, lots to do within walking distance.

There is no overnight parking on the street so you would need to make sure an apartment comes with parking.

Pad mapper is a decent site to look at options - market is a bit slow at the moment but you will get a rough idea.

Here is a list of 1 bedrooms up to $2,500 with parking mentioned.

https://www.padmapper.com/apartments...exclude-airbnb

Old 02-25-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
Brookline would be a good option based on your criteria and budget - good access to back bay via the T, safe, lots of 30 somethings living there, lots to do within walking distance.

There is no overnight parking on the street so you would need to make sure an apartment comes with parking.

Pad mapper is a decent site to look at options - market is a bit slow at the moment but you will get a rough idea.

Here is a list of 1 bedrooms up to $2,500 with parking mentioned.

https://www.padmapper.com/apartments...exclude-airbnb
Oh wow! This is great information. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston