Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2019, 06:33 AM

13 posts, read 31,966 times

Advertisements

Hello! Can anyone comment based on their experience about safety in the back streets area of the South End, specifically Wareham St area? Wareham is quite mixed with 2 new condo buildings going up and 2 residential buildings already there, but it also has a large block of dilapidated looking buildings which is amazing given Boston RE prices (though some of those buildings have business operating there including a high end interior design studio). I have never seen many people walking there and wonder if it would be unsafe for a single woman.

I understand there's also a proposed new development on Albany St at the flower exchange, which may make the area more lively. I imagine this might drive up RE prices in the area. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 09:12 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaL View Post
Hello! Can anyone comment based on their experience about safety in the back streets area of the South End, specifically Wareham St area? Wareham is quite mixed with 2 new condo buildings going up and 2 residential buildings already there, but it also has a large block of dilapidated looking buildings which is amazing given Boston RE prices (though some of those buildings have business operating there including a high end interior design studio). I have never seen many people walking there and wonder if it would be unsafe for a single woman.

I understand there's also a proposed new development on Albany St at the flower exchange, which may make the area more lively. I imagine this might drive up RE prices in the area. Thoughts?

Thanks!
All of the South End was that way going back 20-30 years and beyond. The idea that we would be surprised to see an area of underdevelopment/housing that's not taken care of shows just how far the cities largest neighborhood has become. Thank our gay population and our starving artists for the revitalization process.

There is still low income housing as the neighborhoods bleed into Roxbury, and to the east is methadone mile. So, while it's largely gentrified and should be considered safe by most big city standards, I'm sure crime is higher in the South End than a Beacon Hill or a Back Bay.

Plenty of single woman live there without hesitation. But, the closer to Tremont/Columbus east of Mass Ave, the better.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:23 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,854,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
All of the South End was that way going back 20-30 years and beyond. The idea that we would be surprised to see an area of underdevelopment/housing that's not taken care of shows just how far the cities largest neighborhood has become. Thank our gay population and our starving artists for the revitalization process.

There is still low income housing as the neighborhoods bleed into Roxbury, and to the east is methadone mile. So, while it's largely gentrified and should be considered safe by most big city standards, I'm sure crime is higher in the South End than a Beacon Hill or a Back Bay.

Plenty of single woman live there without hesitation. But, the closer to Tremont/Columbus east of Mass Ave, the better.
By what metric is the South End the city's largest neighborhood?

Wareham street is safe. 95% of the South End is safe. The exception would be certain blocks in the Ramsay Park area

Old 04-01-2019, 10:40 AM

875 posts, read 663,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
But, the closer to Tremont/Columbus east of Mass Ave, the better.

This is correct.

I lived in the S End for years long before the range rovers rolled in and still have a rental apt there.

Wareham st is probably fine and will continue to improve given the huge development/investment in the surrounding area, but that huge cathedral housing development between Harrison and Washington is on your door step and is going nowhere.

Also, the new developments are mostly the ikea box types that are pretty soulless and ugly compared with the beautiful victorians that make the south end special....personal preference of course.

Going just a few streets north, while staying east of Mass ave would be far better and is the best of the South End, although it may cost more on a sq ft basis.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:58 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
BPD D4 is right there so I think that you'll be fine if you're considering this area. Btw, the Boston Flower exchange is slated for a huge development so it will become a city within a city over there.

Old 04-07-2019, 07:23 PM

13 posts, read 31,966 times
Thanks for all the replies. I'd prefer to be further north in one of the row houses, but the cost per sq ft isn't feasible for me.

That huge (and unattractive) housing development on Harrison Ave is a bit of a concern - it seems fine during the day, doesn't mean it wouldn't be at night, but who knows ...?

Old 04-09-2019, 10:55 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,435,938 times
I wouldn't do it. It's so far from what makes the south end a nice neighborhood. You may as well be somewhere else.

Old 04-11-2019, 11:26 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,190,341 times
Plus don't forget the Pine Street Inn homeless shelter just a few blocks in the other direction...though that now almost abuts the upscale Whole Foods Market area and the Ink Block area luxury buildings sprouting everywhere.

I think Wareham Street is fine, even at night for the most part. (I drive thru the immediate area at night often enough.)

Plus that new southern restaurant opened in the new luxury Girard residence nearby, further improving matters.

Sirens around the medical complex could be a concern for some.

Lots of plane noise from takeoffs starting just after 5 a.m. until after midnight on some days, sometimes for a few hours and sometimes all day thru the night -- whenever winds are northwest and west from experience. Look up Runway 27 airplane noise complaints if concerned. Doesn't seem to bother most there but some South End residents have complained about it over the years.

Oh, and 90 Wareham on the corner of Albany was a gay bathhouse for a few years until its shutdown by Mayor Menino about 15 years ago. Now it's a nice residential building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston