Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 01:29 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,038,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
DC metro goes soooooo far out it is certainly effectively another commuter rail.
The distance between Downtown DC and Shady Grove is around 20mi, which is larger than the distance between Boston and Salem. Forget connecting Lynn to Boston via the blue line, could you imagine if the line extended all the way to Salem?! What a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 01:37 PM

23,542 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
The distance between Downtown DC and Shady Grove is around 20mi, which is larger than the distance between Boston and Salem. Forget connecting Lynn to Boston via the blue line, could you imagine if the line extended all the way to Salem?! What a thought.
It's like 27 miles from DT DC on the new line to Dulles Airport. That would be like the Orange Line going all the way to Lowell!

Old 04-30-2019, 01:59 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,182,090 times
Quote:
Yea man..this kinda proves my point lol. I dunno if that was your intention or not but Yea. This is what I mean-thats where we should be at.
It was absolutely my intention

Quote:
DC metro goes soooooo far out it is certainly effectively another commuter rail.
Shady Grove is the most distant station, at 18 miles from the Washington Monument. That's hardly far flung suburbia, and Boston is almost there at 11 miles to Riverside or Braintree.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:32 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
It was absolutely my intention

Shady Grove is the most distant station, at 18 miles from the Washington Monument. That's hardly far flung suburbia, and Boston is almost there at 11 miles to Riverside or Braintree.
11/18 is 61% percent. That's not even remotely almost there man.

All those stations out in Largo etc...PG/NOVA hit 11 miles frequently. And as someone said it's going ll the way out to Dulles.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:13 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
11/18 is 61% percent. That's not even remotely almost there man.

All those stations out in Largo etc...PG/NOVA hit 11 miles frequently. And as someone said it's going ll the way out to Dulles.
Boston is also only 79% the size of DC and has a core ~62 sq miles that has about 20% of the metro population vs DC which has about 11% of its metro area in the inner 62 sq miles. There is far less density 15-20 miles from Boston than there is 15-20 miles from DC.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:28 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,806,937 times
Just imagine what happens when Uber squeezes out Lyft or vice-versa and stops subsidizing their fares so much...

Old 04-30-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
DC is a ridiculous comparison to use, its a unique situation geographically, funding and budget wise. Good god. That's what you call knowing government functions? SMDH. Gah.
DC IS NOT A VALID COMPARISON FOR ANY OTHER CITY IN THE COUNTRY.
IDK. Similar sized cities and metros. They have obvious differences and similarities. DC has its advantages, so does Boston (a big one being that the metro lies largely in one state). The Silver Line extension to Dulles is a $2.8 billion project. Mass. is easily on track to spend that much on infrequent diesel locomotive service to Fall River and New Bedford. Think, for comparison they could do rapid transit service to Brockton, Lowell or Framingham for that price. Which makes more sense! Very valid comparison, just one area is in the 21st century while the Boston area is largely stuck in the 1950s. But just another example of people in the area who are so h@#$ bent on making excuses for failure.

Quote:
I'm making perfect sense. Usually do. You just do not understand it. Did you go to grad school for urban planning? Government? Nope. You are laughably ignorant on governmental functions, roles, and structures. Seriously. You simply don't have a damn clue.

Key word is ""regional" planning""? Yeah, except that wasn't a god damn phrase in what were talking about. It wasn't A KEY WORD AT ALL. But hey, keep making things up (as in lie), its what you do. Your reading comprehension is plain abysmal and you continue to LIE left right and center. I doubt you made it through undergrad with the lack of ability to understand a single simple post. I commented on the city itself. If you could read you would know that. But hey, keep up the ignorant attempts at insulting others. You show your cards day in and day out.
If you truly can't understand the basic concept of there not being just "the city itself" when it comes to metro traffic issues, then there is no sense talking to you (not mentioning that I'd probably go back to that school in Wisconsin and ask for a refund). But the fact that you yourself sort of admitted it in your suggestion that the suburbs are responsible for solving Boston's traffic problems...you are truly talking in circles here Boss. You make me DIZZY sometimes, and clearly are brighter than that. But rather than add to the conversation, you in your typical fashion get your panties up in a big wad and try to derail a perfectly legit thread.

Old 04-30-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Boston is also only 79% the size of DC and has a core ~62 sq miles that has about 20% of the metro population vs DC which has about 11% of its metro area in the inner 62 sq miles. There is far less density 15-20 miles from Boston than there is 15-20 miles from DC.
That's not always true, very dependent on which corridors we are speaking of. Nobody in their right mind would suggest a Metro like line up Rte. 2 towards Fitchburg. But Boston to Brockton, or Salem, or Lowell...ABSOLUTELY.

Also remember that the Metro expansion has spurred a lot of the growth in that radius (see Shady Grove, MD). They of course don't have the same NIMBY issues to contend with there though, and they have far more REGIONAL planning.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:38 PM

17,708 posts, read 9,181,543 times
Quote:
I'm making perfect sense. Usually do. You just do not understand it. Did you go to grad school for urban planning? Government? Nope. You are laughably ignorant on governmental functions, roles, and structures. Seriously. You simply don't have a damn clue.

Key word is ""regional" planning""? Yeah, except that wasn't a god damn phrase in what were talking about. It wasn't A KEY WORD AT ALL. But hey, keep making things up (as in lie), its what you do. Your reading comprehension is plain abysmal and you continue to LIE left right and center. I doubt you made it through undergrad with the lack of ability to understand a single simple post. I commented on the city itself. If you could read you would know that. But hey, keep up the ignorant attempts at insulting others. You show your cards day in and day out.
Perhaps the worst debating skills I've ever seen. If you think someone is wrong then explain why. The juvenile insults and foul language suggest that you don't have a valid counterargument.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Perhaps the worst debating skills I've ever seen. If you think someone is wrong then explain why. The juvenile insults and foul language suggest that you don't have a valid counterargument.
I just wish people would refrain from posting on topics they clearly don't have a grasp of. Typical MO of a bully, though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston