Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 08:05 AM

101 posts, read 96,610 times

Advertisements

Boston is better than Toronto. Boston is way more interesting. Toronto is sprawling and...bland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 09:02 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,889,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It's already ALMOST free to those below certain income thresholds, isn't it?
No. If your family doesn't make enough, they'll happily loan you the costs. Public school doesn't do low income programs. Private is another story - if your good enough and make less than something like $75k, Harvard, Stanford, Wellesley College, etc will waive tuition and room & board.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:10 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Can you go into more detail or be more specific? I was actually hoping you’d chime in; I know you have a lot of experience with both Boston and Toronto.
If you look at my old posts in the Canada forum there is an extensive conversation regarding race relations and black folks in Toronto. But a few points:

Lack of representation - Toronto has a 26 member city council, which was just reduced down from 46 the previous years and at its peak (as recently as last year) There is only one black member of that council. That gentleman is Michael Thompson who is a conservative law and order type who pushed for and supported the carding policies that disproportionately hurt POC. So we have one member and he pushes policies that hurt his own community.

Executive positions are overwhelming male and white. Yes I know, similar to pretty much everywhere else, but if there was a thought that due to Toronto's diversity that extended to the executive class that is not the case.

Gun Crime victims - Depending on the year black males typically make up around 85-90% of the gun murder victims in Toronto, despite only making up 11% of the population. It is a huge issue and is the reason you hear pretty much every other community speak about how safe Toronto is because it hardly is a concern for anyone rather than black men.

Carding/Racial bias - I will let these articles speak for themselves. But I personally have multiple police cards on file, despite being a professional, university educated black male with no criminal record. It is the equivalent of "stop and frisk" or asking for someones "papers". Apparently according to the Toronto Police Services I affiliated with a gang because of the neighbourhood I grew up in. Its bull **** but it happens to alot of us.

https://torontolife.com/city/life/sk...imes-im-black/

https://www.cbc.ca/firsthand/episodes/the-skin-were-in

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/comm...e-opinion.html

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...vey-finds.html

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/knowntopolice.html

This is not to say Toronto is not a great city. I quite enjoy where I grew up and visit often. The same way I enjoy Boston despite its flaws. To paint it as some example though is pretty inaccurate based on my experience and it has a long way to go.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:41 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Toronto was slightly smaller until the 1950s. Then they swapped places.

Toronto has been growing faster for the last 110+ years. In 1911 the two cities had 380k and 530k people. By 1941, it was 951k vs 1.2m. By 51, 1.1m vs
Toronto and Montreal actually swapped places around the late 70s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston