Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2019, 12:35 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times

Advertisements

I don't bake but do envy those who make their own Thanksgiving pies. Seems like lots of work but perhaps easy once it's mastered? But it ain't "easy as pie" to me!

Yes, Whole Foods Market sells them, and I was at two different stores of theirs just this week where I saw an employee boxing just-baked pies. But one confessed that the pies arrive frozen but then baked on site. No surprise, but a disappointment? Plus, something turns me off about their pies, perhaps the texture? I like flakey and/or crumbly pie crust but theirs don't seem to attain that for me. (Is flakey or crumbly the ideal crust for most?)

Supermarket pies seem quite ordinary, but usually economical, as low as $3.99 for regular sizes up to $12.99 or so for large, lattice crust apple pies. I guess they're okay in a pinch...

Which cafes and bakeries do you all recommend?

Yes, Mike's Pastry in the North End sells them for Thanksgiving, and they're even open on that day for convenience.

Greenhills Irish Bakery in Adams Village in Dorchester claims on a WBZ radio ad that they've the best apple pie in Boston. I've bought slices there but it's chilled from the display case...maybe it'll have a better texture and taste if at room temp or heated? But it's tasty, nonetheless.

I know Flour Bakery with all their locations has great pie quality but $22-$35 for a pie?!

Unsure if Clear Flour Bread in Brookline sells them ...I think only for Thanksgiving on order?

I like Petsi Pie in Somerville. Also has a couple types of quiche. Again, not cheap but baked right there. I did however find a fruit pie I bought years ago there to be very sour....maybe that's the traditional way? I prefer sweet fruit fillings. I think it was a cherry pie.

Thinking Cup coffee shop/bakery with 3 locations had pies for order last year. They have upscale, quality sweets.

Montillios in Brockton, Quincy and Braintree? I bought a chocolate cream pie there recently and it was decent and fairly priced.

White's bakery in Hingham should be decent. Haven't been in awhile. I think they have another location.

Fratelli's is in Quincy, Taunton and I think Weymouth? I've bought other pastries there and found them ordinary.

Newton Center used to have a pie store years ago seen on Phantom Gourmet, next to Peet's Coffee, but closed long ago. Too bad.

Is it socially acceptable in some "circles" to bring a hostess a basic supermarket pie? Sounds ridiculous to even ask or worry about it, but I'm serious! I grew up on frozen supermarket pies so I shouldn't be so snobby about frozen supermarket pies -- but I am.

I ordered an apple pie for a hostess gift at Thanksgiving six years ago for $25 at Rosie's in Chestnut Hill, but it has closed. I sure miss their stores.

Oh, does Lyndell's bakery in Somerville have good pies? They've been around for decades!

I liked Betty's Pies in Chatham in 2012. Had seen a piece on it on Chronicle on Channel 5. I hope they're still around.

No Cool Whip! Nasty. I grew up with it but insist on fresh whipped cream! I often buy it in a plastic container at Whole Foods Market.

Oh, Quebrada bakery in Arlington, Wellesley and Belmont surely have good pies? And Modern Pastry in Medford and the North End? Medford also has Arthur's Pastry, an old-school bakery.

Joseph's in South Boston has been around forever. I think they bake their desserts right there.

Oh, and those farm stands have good pies, correct? I bought one at a Lexington farmstand a few years ago, open all year perhaps, or at least through Thanksgiving.

Fiore's bakery in Jamaica Plain is open until noon on Thanksgiving. If one hasn't ordered by yesterday, they say they should have some for sale that day.

That bakery on RT. 1 in Westwood is good.

Any others?

Am I simply too fussy?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2019, 01:41 PM

3,219 posts, read 2,121,919 times
Petsi Pies in Somerville makes a mean Pecan

Old 11-26-2019, 11:28 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
You just named many of the bakeries I would have suggested. Sugar bakery in west Roxbury has the best frosting ever. I’m sure their pies must be good

Last edited by Bridge781; 11-26-2019 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: Ass

Old 11-26-2019, 11:39 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Although cakes are more their thing, I did once get a delicious pumpkin pie from Konditor Meister in Braintree.

Old 11-26-2019, 11:41 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Petsi Pies in Somerville makes a mean Pecan
Yes they do. Unfortunately, they're no longer taking Thanksgiving pre-orders. So you have to get in there today or tomorrow and hope they've got stuff left.

Old 11-26-2019, 11:55 AM

6,132 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Maybe I'm not snobby enough, but I've been decently happy with Market Basket's pie offerings. They have a couple of unusual flavors thrown in (apple-pear, sweet potato), and most important for me, they're made from purely vegetarian ingredients!

Old 11-27-2019, 08:37 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
I once got pies from Pie in The Sky. It’s a pie sale that happens this time of year and the proceeds go to charity. The pies are quite expensive but you’re doing some good and the pie was excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
White's bakery in Hingham should be decent. Haven't been in awhile. I think they have another location.
The other location is in Wellesley. Just opened this year. Not sure if there are additional locations. I know at one time they had one in Canton but I’m not sure if it’s still there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
No Cool Whip! Nasty. I grew up with it but insist on fresh whipped cream! I often buy it in a plastic container at Whole Foods Market.
Agreed! My mother used to buy that stuff as well. It’s deplorable.

Whole Foods baked goods are terrible. They always look great but taste like cardboard. The only supermarket with a decent bakery IMO is Wegmans. They actually have an excellent apple pie. Get the one with the crumb topping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
You just named many of the bakeries I would have suggested. Sugar bakery in west Roxbury has the best frosting ever. I’m sure their pies must be good
I’ve had their pie and it’s great. Haven’t had their apple but I’ve had some other flavors. Everything I get their is excellent with the exception of their coffee which I got once and it was absolutely the worst coffee I’ve ever had. I was shocked because everything else there is so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston