Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 10:45 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
When someone buys me something I’m pretty darn grateful. But i know you enjoy arguing with me so here we are.

So am I. But again, that's the entire point of trying to put yourself in someone else's shoes and understanding where they may be coming from. I don't expect people not in my place to see things the same way.

It's kind of like those dimwits who go on about "why do poor people have children they can't afford, I would never do that". Way to be clueless, people. Walk in others shoes. Realize that my assumptions and outlook probably do not mirror theirs. That my cost/benefit analysis of life has a basic set of assumptions involved, and those won't be shared by others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2020, 10:52 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,549,657 times
Oh ok so it’s dim witted to wonder why poor people continue to have children? Why? So everyone should just expect to help out these folks when they continue to bring kids into the world that they can’t take care of? Because that’s what you’re basically saying. If poor uneducated people stopped having kids wouldn’t that be better for everyone? Or I’m just supposed to honor their rights to reproduce and help them out right?

That makes no sense. Maybe they should be working on bettering themselves before they have kids.

Why is it so preposterous to wonder why people who can’t care for themselves would bring multiple children into the world??

Old 02-03-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Oh ok so it’s dim witted to wonder why poor people continue to have children? Why? So everyone should just expect to help out these folks when they continue to bring kids into the world that they can’t take care of? Because that’s what you’re basically saying. If poor uneducated people stopped having kids wouldn’t that be better for everyone? Or I’m just supposed to honor their rights to reproduce and help them out right?

That makes no sense. Maybe they should be working on bettering themselves before they have kids.

Why is it so preposterous to wonder why people who can’t care for themselves would bring multiple children into the world??

It's not preposterous or dimwitted to wonder. Wonder brings craving for knowledge. Thankfully we have loads of research and understand why these things happen. So, lets all go out and learn why and understand why, and not lambast them for what is, to them, a very understandable choice (once you understand it better).

Old 02-03-2020, 11:26 AM

23,577 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It's not preposterous or dimwitted to wonder. Wonder brings craving for knowledge. Thankfully we have loads of research and understand why these things happen. So, lets all go out and learn why and understand why, and not lambast them for what is, to them, a very understandable choice (once you understand it better).
Well I understand. It "pays" to have kids. Is what it is...

Old 02-03-2020, 11:38 AM

Well I learned in sex Ed how it happens but there is also birth control.

If someone is homeless or has no money you can’t help but wonder why they keep having kids. It’s selfish and mean.

Old 02-03-2020, 11:39 AM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
And this too. The more kids you have the more money the government gives you. But let’s just keep feeling sorry for this awful cyclical situation.

Old 02-03-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Well I learned in sex Ed how it happens but there is also birth control.

If someone is homeless or has no money you can’t help but wonder why they keep having kids. It’s selfish and mean.

I didn't say "how". I said "why". And no, I don't need to wonder "why" they are doing so as thankfully, there a great deal of sociology research on the issue that gets to the "why", if you care to understand issue better and get beyond "wondering". I'll leave it at that.

As to the thread at large, I don't want to tell myself stories about these people, I want to hear their stories.

Old 02-03-2020, 11:47 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post

It's worse than that. It "pays" to be unmarried with no job skills and have kids. You get married and your combined income boots you off of Medicaid and you're no longer on a priority housing list. It's bizarre public policy and backwards from what you'd want. Since we can't toss kids of single parents out on the streets to starve and freeze to death, the fix to the problem isn't obvious unless it involves spending an awful lot of public money the way the rest of the first world does it.

Old 02-03-2020, 12:13 PM

it seems like it’s single mothers who make out well from this. No one seems to care about the men.

Old 02-03-2020, 12:23 PM

17,748 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I said "why". And no, I don't need to wonder "why" they are doing so as thankfully, there a great deal of sociology research on the issue that gets to the "why", if you care to understand issue better and get beyond "wondering". I'll leave it at that.
In other words, you don't know.

Incredibly weak debating technique. Pretend like you know something you don't, talk down to the other person, and then instruct them to do some research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston