Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2008, 09:36 PM

3 posts, read 10,183 times

Advertisements

Hi, thanks for taking time to read about my concerns. I just got into BU's masters in IR program for this fall and need help figuring out which neighborhoods I should consider. My girlfriend and I will be moving from Chicago in late August and have a limited amount of time to visit and check out places so we need all the help we can get!

Our major concerns:
Safety, access to public transit, reasonably proximate to BU, and overall an enjoyable and "liveable" area.

Our vibe:
We're not really yuppies, hipsters, hippies or artists but something of an eclectic blend. We do our best to live an organic, eco-friendly lifestyle. We enjoy good food, independent cafes, and live music. We're getting into our later twenties, have been-there-done-that for most people our age, and want to live as rewarding a life as possible.

Our idea of a good area:
Close to restaurants, cafes, interesting bars/pubs. Within walking distance of other shops, services, etc. A diverse array of people; families, young professionals, grad students, etc - certainly away from frat-tastic undergradland. Urban but not too noisy or bustling. Trees, a bit of grass, maybe a park or two. If possible, somewhat reasonable street parking (we each have a car but hope to use them as little as possible). If you're familiar with Chicago neighborhoods at all something similar to Lincoln Square (NOT Lincoln Park), Roscoe Village, or Wicker Park.

Our idea of a good apartment: First off, we'll be renting. We'd like to find a 2 bedroom, but a good-sized 1 bedroom could do. Ideally we want to spend around $1500 a month. We want something with character. We don't mind older buildings - as long as they're well-maintained. Somewhat updated kitchen, bathroom, appliances (I'm NOT talking a stainless fridge and granite countertops). We've lived with crusty old bathroom floors and barely functioning plumbing, we're (just a bit) beyond that these days.

Any info you can give us would be HUGELY appreciated! Hopefully I've provided enough of a sketch, please ask any questions that would help narrow our search. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 10:35 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
I am originally from Boston, I will give you what info I can on this, some I have decided not to answer and let someone else, such as the neighborhoods. What I can tell you is having a car in inner Boston is a serious burden and I can't stress burden enough. It is a very old city and there is next to nothing for parking. If you get a space it would break the bank paying for it. Street parking is so non existant it would drive one crazy finding something. I cannot even imagine having a car in Boston and not have a paid parking space so I knew I had a place to park when I left each time. If you register your vehicle in Mass. you will be shocked when you see there is next to nothing for car insurance Co's in that state and the price reflects it. No Geico, or State Farm in Mass, in fact no major car insurance companys will operate there. Where ever you go in Boston there are going to be tons of students, Boston means students and tourists and office workers commuting in by the thousands every day, notice they take trains in not cars. I will say two neighborhoods that have what you want minus parking are the South End and Cambridge, both access to public trans. Someone else will give you info on neighborhoods. Don't want to scare you with the car part, but it is a fact of life in Boston, very difficult town to own a car in. Good Luck.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:46 AM

41 posts, read 308,616 times
Going by this map (I'm looking at the main bulk highlighted in red near the top):
Boston University Maps

If you want to live right near BU there are tons of places, tons of bars/restaurants and access to public transportation (the Green line "B" branch is right there along Commonwealth Ave., even though most people complain about the B-line).

Just be ready for TONS of students.... if you're in your late 20's you may want to look for a place a little further away (Back Bay, Fenway). Know also that if you're in an area with a zillion students that the apartments may not be quite as nice. All of these areas are very safe.

You should definitely be able to get at least a 1BR for $1500 and possibly a 2BR. If you're relatively close to BU there will be plenty of grass, trees, parks, services, etc. Yes, parking can be tricky but if you don't use the car much, find a place on the street and leave it there as much as possible.... the most you'll need to do is move it to the other side of the street once a week for street cleaning.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:07 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgandrew View Post
Hi, thanks for taking time to read about my concerns. I just got into BU's masters in IR program for this fall and need help figuring out which neighborhoods I should consider. My girlfriend and I will be moving from Chicago in late August and have a limited amount of time to visit and check out places so we need all the help we can get!

Our major concerns: Safety, access to public transit, reasonably proximate to BU, and overall an enjoyable and "liveable" area.

Our vibe: We're not really yuppies, hipsters, hippies or artists but something of an eclectic blend. We do our best to live an organic, eco-friendly lifestyle. We enjoy good food, independent cafes, and live music. We're getting into our later twenties, have been-there-done-that for most people our age, and want to live as rewarding a life as possible.

Our idea of a good area: Close to restaurants, cafes, interesting bars/pubs. Within walking distance of other shops, services, etc. A diverse array of people; families, young professionals, grad students, etc - certainly away from frat-tastic undergradland. Urban but not too noisy or bustling. Trees, a bit of grass, maybe a park or two. If possible, somewhat reasonable street parking (we each have a car but hope to use them as little as possible). If you're familiar with Chicago neighborhoods at all something similar to Lincoln Square (NOT Lincoln Park), Roscoe Village, or Wicker Park.

Our idea of a good apartment: First off, we'll be renting. We'd like to find a 2 bedroom, but a good-sized 1 bedroom could do. Ideally we want to spend around $1500 a month. We want something with character. We don't mind older buildings - as long as they're well-maintained. Somewhat updated kitchen, bathroom, appliances (I'm NOT talking a stainless fridge and granite countertops). We've lived with crusty old bathroom floors and barely functioning plumbing, we're (just a bit) beyond that these days.

Any info you can give us would be HUGELY appreciated! Hopefully I've provided enough of a sketch, please ask any questions that would help narrow our search. Thanks!
Anything on Beacon St would do nicely it's a 10 minute walk to campus and the greenline T runs very charmingly down the middle of the street. Lots of restaurants too!

Old 04-30-2008, 04:45 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
Here's what you want- this is Harvard St in Brookline. This is the part just south of Comm Ave, easy access to the B or C line. The bottom pic is Coolidge Corner at Beacon and Harvard in Brookline. You'd probably like somewhere in between. You will LOVE eating at Anna's Taqueiria.

http://www.mediamax.com/colek98/Hosted/harvard%20coollige.JPG (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston