Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 12:30 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
I know people that moved here from CA years ago and they are still in shock. No joke.
Shock about what exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2020, 12:36 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,343,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Shock about what exactly.
Typically the fact that they have to live indoor for half the year and this forced them adjusting their lifestyle quite a lot.
In general the relationship with the outdoors.

Old 11-09-2020, 12:39 PM

17,748 posts, read 9,202,314 times
OP, also keep in mind that you'll have 6 months of heating bills.

Old 11-09-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
OP, also keep in mind that you'll have 6 months of heating bills.
which can run 400 a month if its oil heat

Old 11-09-2020, 01:16 PM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I'd suggest OP look at Littleton, although an acre might be pushing it. Fine town, on Rt 2/495, commuter rail into Boston/Cambridge.

I worked at a big hospital in Belmont and commuted up and down Rt 2 for many years, easily got into Cambridge/Boston also. It certainly helped that I worked off hours as an RN but sounds like OP might well have the same option. Best wishes.

Old 11-09-2020, 01:31 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,923,142 times
If you were to break out the top 40 school districts inside of 495, you may not find a single 4 bedroom home for <$600k within a 1HR commute of Boston and inside those towns/districts. 1 acre or more!?! Yeeesh, good luck.

If you want to live in an average or below average school system, you *may* be able to find a 4 bedroom home for <$600k. But expect it to have something undesirable about it, or expect the neighborhood/area to be eh.

You're moving from one expensive area to another. You may get a bit more bang for your buck here, but with your criteria, Boston isn't the right fit. I'd say if something does exist with your criteria, it'd likely be south west of the city.

If you're looking for MSAs like Greater Boston, I'd look at Philadelphia as a possible concession. Chicagoland too, though you'll lose out on outdoor recreation.

EDIT: BostonBorn already did this, but I'm seeing a few options that might get you at around a 1HR commute to Boston for $600k with .5 acres. I see one in Billerica at $600k, but it's a dump, and on a main road. And, Billerica is not exactly a desirable locale within Greater Boston. I see one 1384 sqft home on a main road in Wayland, which is a great town.. But, main roads don't sit well with families in those upscale, rural communities. I see one in Acton, which will definitely be further than an hour with snow and normal traffic patterns post COVID. And I see one or two in Stoughton, which like Billerica, isn't exactly a super desirable location for families and will likely mean over an hour drive to the city.

If you expand the budget to, say, $800k, there are more options.. Still not a ton. I see some in Burlington, one in Westwood, one in Canton, a few in Wilmington. Those are more "realistic" towns for your average suburban families with children, but still not amongst the most desirable towns in Eastern Mass.

Last edited by mwj119; 11-09-2020 at 01:48 PM..

Old 11-09-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
Typically the fact that they have to live indoor for half the year and this forced them adjusting their lifestyle quite a lot.
In general the relationship with the outdoors.
Hmm, what would they assume they'd be doing during the cold and snowy months?? I assume this is a bad "shook"

Old 11-09-2020, 02:25 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,343,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Hmm, what would they assume they'd be doing during the cold and snowy months?? I assume this is a bad "shook"
Probably when they were in CA never really thought that much how annoying it would have been for them.
Now they know very well and from early September they dread any new day fearing it will be the beginning of winter.

Old 11-09-2020, 02:50 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,880,867 times
Folks talking about the Commuter rail.A family member takes trhe Lowell ,North Station line .
! ] runs slow & late in fall ..leaves on the track ,unsafe to run at speed.
2 }winter,, slow or not at all ...snow on the track and switch's need to be shoveled.. wait at open station.
3 } winter,, no snows this time near zero or below.. no train heat , switches frozen ...wait at open station
4 Summer..no snow but too hot ,also no AC
5 ] once a year a rate increase .to keep the quality service up.

Old 11-09-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Folks talking about the Commuter rail.A family member takes trhe Lowell ,North Station line .
! ] runs slow & late in fall ..leaves on the track ,unsafe to run at speed.
2 }winter,, slow or not at all ...snow on the track and switch's need to be shoveled.. wait at open station.
3 } winter,, no snows this time near zero or below.. no train heat , switches frozen ...wait at open station
4 Summer..no snow but too hot ,also no AC
5 ] once a year a rate increase .to keep the quality service up.
hahaha, i can feel the physical pain now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston