Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2020, 03:23 PM

21,627 posts, read 12,718,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Do people actually say with certainty Boston is racist? Undoubtedly? I thought this more satire to crap on the city.
The utmost certainty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2020, 04:14 PM

747 posts, read 496,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Oh no no no...If Donald Sterling were in Boston it would be considered a major issue. If headline "Boston owner tells women don't bring black people to the games" came out It'd be a field day. You would be posting it 6/7 years later. This is also combined with an LA sports announcer calling the team the "nakers"... I also already posted a different incident in Los Angeles. This is the same city with Rodney King and a declining black population...

I could-with relative ease-find racist aggressions against players from cities all over. Off the top of my head, I've heard this same complaint about slurs in Philly, Utah, Milwaukee and Cleveland. They just don't move like the Boston ones. I also think people at a baseball game or any sporting event arent a good representation of any city. Just my opinion because 1 - they're usually not from the city, often not from the state. 2. they skew older, male, white, and suburban, 3-the antagonistic, competitive environment of a sports game is not the environment of day to day life. Lest we forget a Detroit fan threat beer on Ron Artest.

That kind of to surface of a way of talking about Boston racism, a lot more complex than that. Even in some of these links provided folks say that this happens in other ball parks and arenas as well. If that is what colors people's perceptions of Boston I get it but all i can say is that's unfortunate. FWIW I've been to a few Celtics and Red Sox games never had an issue.

But I dunno maybe Boston fans are emboldened to a higher degree. I could believe that. white people from the Boston area tend to be cocky for no reason. In some instances, fan has been traced back to other states. In general, I feel like white people view Boston (the central parts) as a safe place to behave any kind of way. And also lot of suburban folks will come into town for a game and act obnoxious because there trying to be cool and tough and fit an archetype of what they think Boston is. when in reality most white people who live in Boston are more progressive and seem to make more money than their suburban counterparts. The bravado is much less.

I wouldn't call these incidents which almost certainly involve no one from Boston itself "damning evidence." Torii Hunter and Barry Bonds may not have wanted to play ere but Pierce, Tatum, Brown, KG etc all were willing to come and or re-sign and other players Like IT write what amount to love letters to the city.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/ar...tics-cavaliers

But as I said the negative is generally given far more weight than the positive stories for better or for worse. Maybe they're more important.

Two very recent incidents in Cleveland.
https://thespun.com/nfl/afc-north/cl...t-messages/amp

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...outputType=amp

Coming from a city with a team called the Indians
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/10/cle...ies-racist/amp

But it’s not gonna move like a Boston article would.
Great points all over. I’ve had this discussion on C-D before and it always ends with a shrug, like “what are you gonna do?” I think cities get reputations for a reason but they may be antiquated or just plain untrue. Still though, I think Boston will continue to get labeled as racist until something major happens, or just with enough time. I used to view LA as a gang city. But in 20 years’ time, the city has changed and that’s no longer the perception. The same can definitely happen to Boston.

Also, I wouldn’t call viewing Boston as racist “hate,” because I think that word gets overused way too often, to the point where it’s now a misnomer. I also wouldn’t say there’s anything “cool” about supporting or upholding Boston’s stigma. I don’t think people do it willingly or even consciously; at least I don’t. I think articles like the ones I posted just legitimize and perpetuate the stigma, fair or unfair.

Old 12-18-2020, 06:33 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,509,156 times
It's just a microcosm of how overused and misused "racism" and the other "isms" and "phobs" are applied, to the point that those words have totally lost their true meanings and are simply labels emotionally pasted on anything that doesn't meet one's personal worldview without wisdom and critical thinking coming into play. Was racism a big problem in our past in many cities? Of course it was. Is it a big problem today? Nope. It's only a dog whistle to keep voting constituents scared, angry, and mentally controlled to vote in a predictable manner. My wife was went to school in the Boston area and remembers all that went on in early 70's Boston. But to ignore the enormous progress since then that statistical data proves to be true in order to keep everyone perpetually angry, bitter, fearful, and dependent is just evil. For those who push such narratives, it only continues to damage the very communities they pretentiously claim to care so much about. I and no one I know sits around thinking ANY city is "racist". I mean, really???? I focus on individuals, not collectives. This is why I ignore identity group posts on C-D. They offer nothing constructive at all. It must be a miserable life choosing to run around chasing phantoms and crying wolf at the expense of our society's well being. I don't argue or debate these types of issues anymore. Past experience has taught me that, no matter how many facts, how much data, and how much logic flow you present, people who buy into this only get angry and hold on to the narrative with a cult-like grip even harder. It's a waste of time and energy. I have a lot of respect for Boston on the whole. As for things I don't like about the area, this myth of "racism" isn't one of them.

Old 12-18-2020, 07:58 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/12/...stonian-proud/

People used to say Jae’da Turner was stuck in Boston.

Because Black folk from outside of the city often see it as a place to pass through but not plant roots. Those people are not from here.

Turner isn’t trapped. She’s at home.

“Having to defend Boston is a real sport,” Turner says. “As a student at Northeastern, people coming from New York, California, and all across the country, I think they honestly love to hate Boston. It’s like a little club. It’s not cool if you say you’re from Boston.”

And that’s the Boston Turner fights to celebrate. Growing up in Dorchester and Mattapan, she saw Black people owning triple-deckers and houses passed down through the generations. As a child, parent-teacher conferences were held at the historic Twelfth Baptist Church in Roxbury, the oldest descendant of the African Baptist Church. The Boston she knows is Black, proud, and beautiful. She’s committed to continuing that legacy.

Is this true? It may be uncomfortable to admit-but is it true? I find this to be very true for black people who've never spent significant time in Boston. But I also find it true for 'woke' white people and the social justice inclined anchors at ESPN. But has anyone ever actually stopped and thought about the damage that this inflicts on black and brown Bostonians psychologically and socially. I for one say that the aversion to Boston and considerations for its black and brown community-form other POC and white people alike. Is easily far more hurtful and impactful than whatever racism we may encounter in Boston. And it's more omnipresent.

I mean how could it actually help the city turn a corner when there zero support for the city's oppressed from people outside of the city. It's one thing to have the image of Boston be whitewashed but to have the actual discussion of the issue also be focused on the experiences of visitors or experiences in white neighborhoods is more damaging.

I actually find very little truth in this article or your assertive questions. In fact, I think it's the complete opposite. Bostonian's think of themselves as the best and are almost narcissistic about it. Saying you are from Boston carries little to no negative connotation for a super majority of Americans. The 'racial' aspect of this discussion is squarely centered around Sports. Being from Boston you may perceive this as carrying over to other aspects of life outside of Sports, but in my opinion, it doesn't at all. It's a tired stereotype like most of the stereotypes in sports.

Old 12-18-2020, 08:10 AM

9,848 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I actually find very little truth in this article or your assertive questions. In fact, I think it's the complete opposite. Bostonian's think of themselves as the best and are almost narcissistic about it. Saying you are from Boston carries little to no negative connotation for a super majority of Americans. The 'racial' aspect of this discussion is squarely centered around Sports. Being from Boston you may perceive this as carrying over to other aspects of life outside of Sports, but in my opinion, it doesn't at all. It's a tired stereotype like most of the stereotypes in sports.
Then explain why there’s a “call Boston racistl” trend ongoing

Old 12-18-2020, 08:28 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Then explain why there’s a “call Boston racistl” trend ongoing

Never saw it

Old 12-18-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
There’s many articles on this to the contrary. And it extends well beyond sports. I think you just occupy a different social space and online space.

If it weren’t a thing beyond sports there you lent be such extensive journalism behind it. Especially not wminating from Boston.

If you really read the article and watch the video you’ll see this is a part of a series by the Boston Globe. None of which has to do with sports. It’s actually written by a black woman who is a native of Washington DC...

Old 12-18-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Never saw it
Doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

Old 12-18-2020, 09:44 AM

1,803 posts, read 933,711 times
Of course never hearing about something..... does not mean some reality of it exist and does in levels in every city. That this one city is singled out for this and that city is Boston. Is just strange. How many cities can be said to had a past and aspects of present Racial divides .....

No one should think poor ole Boston getting demeaned on C-D... cause there are plenty of posters Johnny-on-the-spot to defend her. Every city deserves to have its defense especially if valid. A couple cities just have many more defenders on C-D then others and those who will label it as hate on their city.... Like I said, I can just watch segments of 10 go off on city/suburbs of Boston debating only Boston and other cities it is verses are as if.no longer as in the thread, Do we get racially segregated Boston or Boston lacks diversity? Most stereotype I can think of is Boston is more a White city then most others. Even that has been changing and defended as untrue. So as a stereotype it is Boston is a more White city then most and not a racially segregated one. Some others cannot deny they still are very segregated.

If anything, it is Boston that gets no blemish for winters, snow, crime a issue, growth, Education mecca of course, Tech, Fenway and other things that any mention of some negative is really nothing that other cities also had/have also. Any Sports hate/envy is irreverent..... it is a game. Now if a city can be less-cool to visiting opposing teams and can I know one city that has this stereotype of the worst sports fans and one can fear wearing opposing team items and having it on your car if in their fair city.

Do we agree Boston has a taint for this thread, or see it as a scourge/stereotype and widespread? Of course not. Other cities have that wrap 10-fold more.

Honestly, Does anyone think someone in Cleveland or Kansas City or Memphis ..... thinks it is uncool to live in Boston? No ... If anything, it is other Coastal elite cities like a mighty NYC pre-Covid that might think this. NYC has had a bit of a reality check though this year. Maybe someone in sunny Florida thinks it is uncool to live in Boston? Sure in WINTER.

Maybe it is just cool to hate on a city with too much boasting or elite aspects of its residents who see their city this way and that becomes a stereotype in itself.

Old 12-18-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
Of course never hearing about something..... does not mean some reality of it exist and does in levels in every city. That this one city is singled out for this and that city is Boston. Is just strange. How many cities can be said to had a past and aspects of present Racial divides .....

No one should think poor ole Boston getting demeaned on C-D... cause there are plenty of posters Johnny-on-the-spot to defend her. Every city deserves to have its defense especially if valid. A couple cities just have many more defenders on C-D then others and those who will label it as hate on their city.... Like I said, I can just watch segments of 10 go off on city/suburbs of Boston debating only Boston and other cities it is verses are as if.no longer as in the thread, Do we get racially segregated Boston or Boston lacks diversity? Most stereotype I can think of is Boston is more a White city then most others. Even that has been changing and defended as untrue. So as a stereotype it is Boston is a more White city then most and not a racially segregated one. Some others cannot deny they still are very segregated.

If anything, it is Boston that gets no blemish for winters, snow, crime a issue, growth, Education mecca of course, Tech, Fenway and other things that any mention of some negative is really nothing that other cities also had/have also. Any Sports hate/envy is irreverent..... it is a game. Now if a city can be less-cool to visiting opposing teams and can I know one city that has this stereotype of the worst sports fans and one can fear wearing opposing team items and having it on your car if in their fair city.

Do we agree Boston has a taint for this thread, or see it as a scourge/stereotype and widespread? Of course not. Other cities have that wrap 10-fold more.

Honestly, Does anyone think someone in Cleveland or Kanstonas City or Memphis ..... thinks it is uncool to live in Boston? No ... If anything, it is other Coastal elite cities like a mighty NYC pre-Covid that might think this. NYC has had a bit of a reality check though this year. Maybe someone in sunny Florida thinks it is uncool to live in Boston? Sure in WINTER.

Maybe it is just cool to hate on a city with too much boasting or elite aspects of its residents who see their city this way and that becomes a stereotype in itself.
This was pretty hard to read... but I think your saying Boston doesn't get unfairly targeted?

"Do we agree Boston has a taint for this thread, or see it as a scourge/stereotype and widespread? Of course not. Other cities have that wrap 10-fold more."

Or are you saying it does?

"Of course never hearing about something..... does not mean some reality of it exist and does in levels in every city. That this one city is singled out for this and that city is Boston. Is just strange. How many cities can be said to had a past and aspects of present Racial divides ..... "

I think many people see Boston as a white city. But just as many see it as a segregated city, especially those that have been there.

Honestly though, theres a lot in your post I don't understand..

"If anything, it is Boston that gets no blemish for winters, snow, crime a issue, growth, Education mecca of course, Tech, Fenway and other things that any mention of some negative is really nothing that other cities also had/have also. "

"NYC pre-Covid that might think this. NYC has had a bit of a reality check though this year. Maybe someone in sunny Florida thinks it is uncool to live in Boston? Sure in WINTER."

Any Sports hate/envy is irreverent..... it is a game. Now if a city can be less-cool to visiting opposing teams and can I know one city that has this stereotype of the worst sports fans and one can fear wearing opposing team items and having it on your car if in their fair city.

Do you like Boston or dislike it? Have you been there? Are you talking about sports envy or racism in sports?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston