Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 10:09 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,625,672 times

Advertisements

I just found out that I'm moving back to MA for my job and I would love some feedback in regards to towns/apartment buildings, etc. that are great places for single, young professionals to live. I'm orginially from the South Shore and Cape Cod but my job would take me to Framingham and I know nothing about the area.. I would prefer to live east of Framingham but not have an insane commute to and from work. I was thinking Newton may be a good place but I'm not sure. I know Weston, Wellesley, Wayland, and those towns are nice but mostly geared towards middle aged professionals with families. Most towns west of Framingham I'm not familiar with. I'm just looking for a mix of young professionals with enough in the area so I don't get bored. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 06:21 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,646,838 times
If your looking at going to Newton, one town east of that, Brighton would be a better choice. Newton is mostly families. Brighton has a mix of young professionals, college students, and families depending on what neighborhood you live in. The commute wouldn't be too bad.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:00 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
Live in the city. That's the most fun. It's worth the extra 5 minute drive west. You might even be able to take the commuter rail to F-ham.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:39 PM

120 posts, read 481,921 times
I would say the five "hot spots" are Cambridge, Somerville, Brighton, Brookline and Allston (perhaps not in that order). Really...anywhere there is 'T' access (for some reason, Quincy seems to be an exception to that...).

Old 05-11-2008, 03:31 PM

Living in the city would be cool. I'm just worried about traffic leaving and getting into the city as well as having to pay extra for parking and for living in the city. Isn't it extremely expensive? If I were to live in the city where are the best places to live for young people? North End? Back Bay?

Old 05-11-2008, 03:54 PM

639 posts, read 3,527,019 times
If you live in the North End, you'll be lucky to get a one bedroom. Forget a car. You'll have North Station's commuter rail right at North Station within a few blocks of the North End for getting out of Boston if you wanted to head north and you'll also have South Station for getting to the Framingham area for your job. The Back Bay is extremely nice and so isn't the South End. Ideally situated for either South Station's commuter rail OR even the Back Bay commuter rail stop.

Charlestown, Brighton & yes even Allston have condo's or apartments to rent. So figure out what you want to pay a month, that's the key. Do your homework on Brighton, Allston area though. I never cared for that part of the City, but a lot of younger singles love it. Whatever floats their boat. I never liked it through there, whatever! You might want to check "craigslist" and another consideration is to go with a roommate if you really REALLY want to stay within the City of Boston as it's brutally & I mean extremely expensive in my book. If you know that already coming from California? Then you just go for it, that's what I say, GO for it. It's probably like San Francisco's type of rents! I saw them when I was out there and they're out of sight out there too! So as long as you're aware of that, then GO for living in the city. There's NOTHING like it. I did it for years and I'm like a fish out of water NOT living in the city these days!

Start with Craigslist and also check out Boston.com's site. It's got rentals on it and you'd be able to get an idea of what you'd have to pay each and every month. Remember, that first of the month comes around awfully quick!

Another place that you might want to consider is South Boston. It's got Carson Beach, the "suger bowl" and Castle Island to jog, run & walk in the nice weather. I lived there for over 15 years and absolutely LOVED it there. I miss it terribly. Try to buy a place if you can eventually, especially if you end up staying longer than a few years. The thing about Southie is that they have the MBTA bus running through for South Station all the time AND the Back Bay "Copley" bus gets you to Broadway's "T" stop as well as the other "T" stop of Andrew Square; in no time and it'll take you right in to town, right by the Copley Square Library and the "Pru" area of town, which is part of the Back Bay. You can't beat it with a stick, you'd be there in minutes, trust me, I did it for the longest time, it was wonderful and SO convenient!

If I had to do it over again? I'd live there in a heart beat today! But that's me and I have different stuff going on with family matters these days. You have to weigh your options and more importantly think about your job's location! That will be your deciding factor.

Are you sure you want to commute to Framingham every day? It can be done from any of these neighborhoods, but you'd have to get yourself over to South Station every single day to catch that commuter rail. It's a pain some times, especially in the winter months. You'd have to leave very early most mornings.

Framingham area wouldn't be bad to live in! I know they have some beautiful suburbs with resort style apartment complexes through there with fitness centers, pools, tennis courts etc..., that would be kind of neat for a change, you'd probably get more bang for your buck that way, you won't have to worry about commuting every day! So think about that one good!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited by CityGirl52; 05-11-2008 at 04:10 PM..

Old 05-11-2008, 06:08 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Living in the city has always been an interest of mine. I had a girlfriend back in the day who lived in the North End and worked in the city and I was so jealous. At the same time, living outside of the city to get more bang for my buck might be a better option. If I lived in the city I would probably do nothing but go out every night. Living within 20 miles from the city would be great as well I guess.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 32,746 times
Any recommendations for commuting to Harvard Square? I was thinking about Brookline, Charlestown, the South End, Back Bay, or Harvard Square. My main concern would be parking and the type of crowd- I would want to be around young professionals/grad student. Help!

Old 03-13-2012, 12:04 PM

8 posts, read 50,150 times
Can anyone give me their opinion of Framingham as a choice for a 23 year old moving to the Boston area? My daughter will be working in the Franklin area, but wants to try to live in an area convenient to the city. Safety is obviously a concern along with affordability. She is hoping also to find an area where it will be easy to meet other young professionals, etc.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:02 PM

21 posts, read 58,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl52 View Post
Another place that you might want to consider is South Boston. It's got Carson Beach, the "suger bowl" and Castle Island to jog, run & walk in the nice weather. I lived there for over 15 years and absolutely LOVED it there. I miss it terribly. Try to buy a place if you can eventually, especially if you end up staying longer than a few years. The thing about Southie is that they have the MBTA bus running through for South Station all the time AND the Back Bay "Copley" bus gets you to Broadway's "T" stop as well as the other "T" stop of Andrew Square; in no time and it'll take you right in to town, right by the Copley Square Library and the "Pru" area of town, which is part of the Back Bay. You can't beat it with a stick, you'd be there in minutes, trust me, I did it for the longest time, it was wonderful and SO convenient!

If I had to do it over again? I'd live there in a heart beat today! But that's me and I have different stuff going on with family matters these days. You have to weigh your options and more importantly think about your job's location! That will be your deciding factor.
CityGirl52, I too am moving back to Boston for a job in the Financial District and seriously considering Southie. Where exactly in Southie would you recommend? I noticed that the 7 bus runs along Sumner Street to the east end of Southie and appears to be very convenient to the Financial District. Are there particular areas or streets on the east end of Southie that are more popular with young professionals or more convenient to stores and restaurants? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston