Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 09:36 AM

21,701 posts, read 12,859,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
If you remove the test you are just going to ultimately lower the quality of the school.

Which I mean, could be the idea, a bit of lower quality but more diverse. But they should make it clear.
Because it's not going to be same quality but more diverse simply removing the tests and letting people for worse elementary/middle in.
this is all hypothetical.... if the curriculum and teachers don't change-what becomes worse? let's dig into this.

Now the theory is the GPA of the new students is lower? Perhaps but if these are successful students they're used to rising to the occasion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2021, 10:09 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,348,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
this is all hypothetical.... if the curriculum and teachers don't change-what becomes worse? let's dig into this.
Is not really hypothetical. The class goes at the speed of the slowest students. If you let students that are more behind on many topics the all class has to slow down to let these students catch up.
Were I went to school there really isn't a bug difference between schools because every school has a mix of very different socio-economically population. All schools are about average because they all have to go at the speed of the slowest students.

Again, is not the end of the world in any way. Just make clear that you are not going to have a school for the excellence. The problem is that this is not how the system works in the US and the risk is that BLS is going to drop in term of quality compared to the schools of the suburbs.

Teachers are only a part of the pictures. If it was all about teachers a lot of bad school districts would not be as bad as they are.

Quote:
Now the theory is the GPA of the new students is lower? Perhaps but if these are successful students they're used to rising to the occasion.
If there is a test screening and you use the zip code only to discriminate between very similar results there is not going to be any risk of lowering the overall quality, the more the zip code gain importance, the more risk there is.

This isn't because the new students are not as smart is a matter of how much education they already received.
You see this even in 1st grade. There are kids that can already read and do some calculation and kids that cannot, typically just because their parents didn't teach them/didn't have the money to pay a great daycare.
When the 2 kids go together is 1st grade the one that knows more stuff has to "wait" for the other kid, so it's kind of wasting time.

At high school level isn't going to be reading obviously but is going to be something else.

This is just about "does BLS want to be an absolute top school or not?" If it does, the zip code can only come into play after the tests (or whatever academic metric), if it doesn't than just say it.
Say: we want BLS to not be a school for our élite students, these students can go to private schools, we want BLS to be a school for our good students because we don't think that is the role of the Boston Public School system to invest that many resources in students that can get that super-high level of education they(their parents)want somewhere else.

Old 03-19-2021, 10:36 AM

16,541 posts, read 8,306,729 times
I think GPA is WAY more important than test scores. Again the test is something you take once or twice. How can you really measure someone by that? I mean if they do good then chances are they are very bright...but if they do poorly maybe they had a bad day and again some don't test well. I don't think it means they don't belong at an exam school. I went to an ISL school and had to take a test to get in for the 9th grade as did everyone. I know people who got all A's through high school but didn't do great on the SAT.

On the flip side I know someone who got a 1590 and got Cs and Ds all through high school because they didn't care.

Old 03-19-2021, 11:22 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,348,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I think GPA is WAY more important than test scores. Again the test is something you take once or twice. How can you really measure someone by that? I mean if they do good then chances are they are very bright...but if they do poorly maybe they had a bad day and again some don't test well. I don't think it means they don't belong at an exam school. I went to an ISL school and had to take a test to get in for the 9th grade as did everyone. I know people who got all A's through high school but didn't do great on the SAT.

On the flip side I know someone who got a 1590 and got Cs and Ds all through high school because they didn't care.
I don't mean test as SAT or similar. I mean test as short for "some sort way to evaluate the academic level". Can be a test, GPA, a combination or things.

Old 03-19-2021, 12:29 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,067,196 times
It does assuming the few who do the work really well get an A, those who do it slightly worse get a B, those who do a barely adequate job get a C, those who barely do anything get a D and those do not do it at all get a big fat F. But as we all know when it comes to BPS standards are racist meaning everyone gets an A, which in turn makes GPA completely irrelevant.

Quote:
GPA measures your ability to do the work in front of you to a level satisfactory for the teachers. Don't penalize the kids for where they go to school, that's the entire point of the movement.

Old 03-19-2021, 12:33 PM

Current curriculum is rigorous enough for those who are not the best of the best to fail out. Are you saying nothing will change and everyone will be perfectly happy with 80% of the class made up of woefully unprepared sojustapo picks failing out?

Quote:

Old 03-19-2021, 12:40 PM

GPA is meaningful assuming As don't get handed out left and right as participation trophies. It doesn't mean much when one student can do triple integrals and another can barely add and subtract yet both somehow have 4.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post

Old 03-20-2021, 07:28 AM

6,820 posts, read 6,071,919 times
Quote:
Im not in favor of keeping the test in place.
Do you support getting rid of the test entirely, or just for public schools?

Old 03-20-2021, 08:20 AM

23,710 posts, read 18,816,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
Current curriculum is rigorous enough for those who are not the best of the best to fail out. Are you saying nothing will change and everyone will be perfectly happy with 80% of the class made up of woefully unprepared sojustapo picks failing out?

That's the thing. Are you going to want 80% of the class to flunk out after the 1st or 2nd year? How does that benefit the school or the student?

Old 03-20-2021, 09:21 AM

10,039 posts, read 15,703,118 times
If you want BLS to remain an elite school, then you have to keep the test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston