Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2021, 08:05 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,789,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
In-N-Out is also in Texas. All of their restaurants are within 300 miles of their California and Texas facilities. They won't expand beyond that because they refuse to use frozen patties.
There aren’t any in El Paso ☹️
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2021, 04:32 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,818,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
This made me laugh...it isnt funny if he does use one due to a disability but made me laugh.
Yes I do but I'm not disabled. This is just using Google its the built-in keyboard.

Getting back to the subject though yeah but understand that some companies and businesses in general can support political issues without it being known. Ownership can also be an issue. Let's say you are in Miami and you go to a Cuban restaurant. Does the owner support the overthrow of the regime or do they actually support it as it is now? I went to an Iranian restaurant a number of years ago and I don't know what their stance was with the regime. I grew up in the 1980s and I do remember every now and then there were calls to boycott companies because its sister companies were bad. At one point Philip Morris owned Kraft Foods. Disney owns ABC News and eliminated a report looking at Disney's labor practices in Haiti. At one point General Electric on in BC which created some questions of conflict of interest during the first Gulf War (defence contractor owning media coverage). I'm in Connecticut now and locally on a TV station the local weather man actually stars from commercials on his own network!?!

Conflicts of interests, bias and preference unfortunately can exist. I don't think they do that much of a way of preventing all of it in entirety but at least have some form of transparency.

Old 08-27-2021, 06:00 AM

3,219 posts, read 2,124,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Getting back to the subject though yeah but understand that some companies and businesses in general can support political issues without it being known. Ownership can also be an issue. Let's say you are in Miami and you go to a Cuban restaurant. Does the owner support the overthrow of the regime or do they actually support it as it is now? I went to an Iranian restaurant a number of years ago and I don't know what their stance was with the regime. I grew up in the 1980s and I do remember every now and then there were calls to boycott companies because its sister companies were bad. At one point Philip Morris owned Kraft Foods. Disney owns ABC News and eliminated a report looking at Disney's labor practices in Haiti. At one point General Electric on in BC which created some questions of conflict of interest during the first Gulf War (defence contractor owning media coverage). I'm in Connecticut now and locally on a TV station the local weather man actually stars from commercials on his own network!?!
This reminds me of a restaurant in my neighborhood that was doing quite well for 12 or so years. When Donny was elected, the owner went on a tirade and posted publicly on their website about how infuriated he was with whomever voted for him and he went on and on. Needless to say, as a transplant and a poor judge of neighborhood demographics... a lot of people just stopped going. a couple years later he closed. But not with a goodbye all, thanks for your business. It' was another tirade about liquor licensing and how unfair he has been treated etc. He proceeded to sell his liquor license for $xxx,xxx.
If you are going to be so vocal please expect that there will be repercussions.
Cook food and serve it. Save your grandstanding for private conversations. that's my take.

Old 08-27-2021, 06:33 AM

16,412 posts, read 8,215,049 times
What restaurant was that ?

Old 08-27-2021, 06:43 AM

3,219 posts, read 2,124,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
What restaurant was that ?
The Resistance begins NOW. » Redd's in Rozzie

Old 08-27-2021, 07:06 AM

16,412 posts, read 8,215,049 times
Oh ok, I've heard of that place but never eaten there. I remember many moons ago there was a Red's in Southie.

Old 08-27-2021, 08:20 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
I hate to go down this road on this thread because it's off topic but since it's been raised numerous times I will say that in my opinion this situation was not only blown way out of proportion, comparatively speaking, it was far more about ideology and politics than its impact on gay rights. I don't like that they had been donating to some of the groups, but most of these big corporations who donate money don't even know many of the more intricate details of what some of the groups actually support. In this case, Chik Fil A did correct course and as far as I know have never been implicated in any systemic discrimination or "anti-gay" activity. And none of the organizations officially advocated death to gays, that quote can be attributed to one ignoramus employee of the one of the groups who doesn't represent Chik Fil A anymore than these ideological activists represent the entire gay/lesbian population. This was more about politics than substance in my view. For another view you can read this piece: https://getoutspoken.com/opinion/a-g...of-chick-fil-a
I tend to agree with you that they likely didn't look into the details of the groups they donated to. I don't believe that Chick-Fil-A was actively seeking to support organizations that advocated against gay rights. Even among deeply devout Christians, such efforts are generally discussed with subtly (or not at all). So it's a pretty reasonable assumption that any request for money from CFA didn't come out and say "death to gay people." And like you said, they still managed to corrected course. I personally have zero issue going to CFA.

That said, I do think some of the pushback against CFA a few years back was warranted. I know that "death to gays" is not official organizational policy, but a number of the groups that CFA donated to were very much in the businesses of trying pursue legislation and policy that was discriminatory to the LGBTQ community. And even though I agree that CFA likely didn't intend to support such efforts, I don't think "Oops, we didn't know about all of that" is a good enough excuse to soothe the LGBTQ community and their allies in the moment. They were understandably upset. But it was certainly blown WAY out of proportion by politicians and talking heads who latched onto an opportunity to be "on the right side" of the debate and they were successful in summoning the torches and pitchforks. I'm glad that's blown over (for the most part) and I'm also glad that CFA has changed their practices a bit without needing to abandon their Christian roots. I wasn't thrilled with them a few years back, but again, I'm perfectly happy to go grab a sandwich from them today.

Old 12-01-2021, 10:35 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Looks like this is finally happening (well, in early 2022): https://twitter.com/OnlyInBOS/status...971653/photo/1

If they're throwing up their branding on the site, it's likely pretty close to a done deal.

Old 12-01-2021, 11:47 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,322,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Looks like this is finally happening (well, in early 2022): https://twitter.com/OnlyInBOS/status...971653/photo/1

If they're throwing up their branding on the site, it's likely pretty close to a done deal.
The Wendy's just closed a couple doors down, so I guess this will take its place as the fast food chicken joint along fast food row there.

Old 12-02-2021, 02:50 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,049,019 times
Yuck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston