Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2021, 10:49 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,116,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
lol ok. I guess my entire dept is going to be outsourced then. Girl next door to me works at liberty mutual and is remote forever...i guess i'll let her know she's about to be outsourced because some guy on city data said so.

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2...nd-remote-work
It's a good thing that there is a very vast world outside of your inner circle. The fact that you have trouble seeing beyond it is a little strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2021, 10:51 AM

16,318 posts, read 8,150,917 times
I also know people who go in once or twice a week. I know very few who have returned full time.

Old 09-21-2021, 11:14 AM

A good amount of people were remote before the pandemic and/or had flexible schedules.

Old 09-22-2021, 06:01 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,809,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post

Linkedin is not diverse. It's overwhelmingly white collar office workers and executives/consultants/thought leaders.
I respect your opinion but to be frank by feet is very diverse. Many of my connections I had from taking online classes as well as my duration within Macadamia. Professional organizations that I've been a part of our also part of my network and I see diversity all over the place. If I want to speak to a petroleum in engineering Venezuela I can do so, if I want to speak to people that hold political office and central Africa I can oh, if I want to speak to people that are Asian Angel Investors I can, I have found connections literally all over the world with the exception of maybe North Korea.

Facebook tends to be mostly political drama, announcements of people's kids, and occasional new home buyer, and the usual snaps and cracks about pop culture. When I'm on LinkedIn it's talk anymore about job openings, Capital expansions, looking for investors, looking for advice with operations and so forth. I seen a number of times people trying to post Facebook like material into LinkedIn then it usually gets shut down not by the network itself or by actual members.

What's really debatable is not so much social media platforms but rather the algorithms that determine how and when items in the feed are placed. Keyword management alongside SEO and sem are vital.

Old 09-22-2021, 06:07 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I respect your opinion but to be frank by feet is very diverse. Many of my connections I had from taking online classes as well as my duration within Macadamia. Professional organizations that I've been a part of our also part of my network and I see diversity all over the place. If I want to speak to a petroleum in engineering Venezuela I can do so, if I want to speak to people that hold political office and central Africa I can oh, if I want to speak to people that are Asian Angel Investors I can, I have found connections literally all over the world with the exception of maybe North Korea.

Facebook tends to be mostly political drama, announcements of people's kids, and occasional new home buyer, and the usual snaps and cracks about pop culture. When I'm on LinkedIn it's talk anymore about job openings, Capital expansions, looking for investors, looking for advice with operations and so forth. I seen a number of times people trying to post Facebook like material into LinkedIn then it usually gets shut down not by the network itself or by actual members.

What's really debatable is not so much social media platforms but rather the algorithms that determine how and when items in the feed are placed. Keyword management alongside SEO and sem are vital.
That's not really diverse. And you are proving my point. Those are all white collar undergrad plus educated positions.

Ice cream scoopers, house cleaners, gas station attendants, concrete pourers, ups drivers, grocery store stockers/cashiers, etc etc. A huge percentage of the work force generally aren't on linkedin.

Old 09-22-2021, 06:28 AM

I would agree that LinkedIn is mostly white collar people. There own mission statement is The mission of LinkedIn is simple: connect the world's professionals to make them more productive and successful.

It's certainly possible to have a diverse group of professionals from different industries from all over the world on your LinkedIn contacts. I'm not sure how you can say LinkedIn isn't diverse. The jobs you mentioned above (ice cream scooper, gas station attendant) aren't professional jobs. They're welcome to join LinkedIn but the over all goal seems to be networking. What would a gas station attendant or ice cream scooper need on LinkedIn other than to find another job ?

Old 09-22-2021, 06:38 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I would agree that LinkedIn is mostly white collar people. There own mission statement is The mission of LinkedIn is simple: connect the world's professionals to make them more productive and successful.

It's certainly possible to have a diverse group of professionals from different industries from all over the world on your LinkedIn contacts. I'm not sure how you can say LinkedIn isn't diverse. The jobs you mentioned above (ice cream scooper, gas station attendant) aren't professional jobs. They're welcome to join LinkedIn but the over all goal seems to be networking. What would a gas station attendant or ice cream scooper need on LinkedIn other than to find another job ?
They don't, which is why they don't join.

If it hasn't dawned yet, the point is, using a linkedin feed of people talking about they're working from home is in zero way indicative of the general population being able to work from home or how common working from home is in the general population. It's a non cross-sectional snapshot of the working population.

Old 09-22-2021, 07:05 AM

I am aware that many people have been going to work throughout the pandemic. I already said that.

The greater Boston area is overpopulated and a lot of people don't want to take the train now. It doesn't surprise me at all that there is a great deal of rush hour traffic now and still a great deal of people working remotely. There is traffic on Saturday and Sunday going through the city as well. Welcome to Boston.

Old 09-23-2021, 05:18 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,809,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
That's not really diverse. And you are proving my point. Those are all white collar undergrad plus educated positions.

Ice cream scoopers, house cleaners, gas station attendants, concrete pourers, ups drivers, grocery store stockers/cashiers, etc etc. A huge percentage of the work force generally aren't on linkedin.
Those are tasks (for the most part) not careers. Full service gas these days is rare. Ice cream is seasonal. The best you can do with grocery is market basket. I knave an old friend that's been there for years. Supposedly a cashier can make 40k and of course there was the protest to keep the ceo (which was detailed here). Another friend of mine was at ups long ago but moved to pharma after his degree. LinkedIn does have groups of employees of companies. I've seen some rather interesting ones in retail. Not all group activity is open.

I get what you are saying as I've worked jobs like that in the past but they don't go anywhere. On my own accord I saved for years, went to higher ed and am better off.Theres nothing wrong with working with your hands but manual UNskilled labor doesn't have much of a future as a long term way to live. Get into the trades or manufacturing

Old 09-23-2021, 05:34 PM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Those are tasks (for the most part) not careers. Full service gas these days is rare. Ice cream is seasonal. The best you can do with grocery is market basket. I knave an old friend that's been there for years. Supposedly a cashier can make 40k and of course there was the protest to keep the ceo (which was detailed here). Another friend of mine was at ups long ago but moved to pharma after his degree. LinkedIn does have groups of employees of companies. I've seen some rather interesting ones in retail. Not all group activity is open.

I get what you are saying as I've worked jobs like that in the past but they don't go anywhere. On my own accord I saved for years, went to higher ed and am better off.Theres nothing wrong with working with your hands but manual UNskilled labor doesn't have much of a future as a long term way to live. Get into the trades or manufacturing

Yes but how is any of that relevant to the topic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston