Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2022, 10:55 PM

2,941 posts, read 5,183,965 times

Advertisements

I lived there in a tiny and simple efficiency from 1985 to 1990.

Of course, much cheaper then with my modest earnings. Couldn't afford it now even with cost of living increases. I was lucky to live in town, by myself, ages 25 to 30. A different Boston then, of course....better or worse? Seemed or was much more affordable to enjoy even for basic people like me.

Charming area then: near Symphony Hall, Northeastern, Copley Place and the Pru.

Even better now as brick sidewalks plus acorn lights, unlike then. Probably more condos, so maybe nicer doors and landscaping now.

I say "Be TOLPH." Tonight I was walking near there, and a young male asked his friend if they're near "St. BO tolph St." yet. Yes, I have heard that on occasion, but I think my way is more common.

How would you say it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2022, 04:52 AM

5,093 posts, read 2,656,710 times
The latter pronunciation would be the out-of-towner way of saying it. You say it the Bostonian way (and so do I) and closer to the British pronunciation.

Old 11-06-2022, 11:49 AM

913 posts, read 559,774 times
Locally, the accented syllable has been on the second syllable. The first syllable is pronounced with a short schwa. But I can't say that's a particularly modern English pronunciation (one thing to keep in mind is that certain pronunciations in eastern New England preserve practice of the 17th-18th centuries that later changed in Britain).

St Botolph was a saint popular in East Anglia and Lincolnshire, and the name of the city of Boston in the latter (for which our Boston is named) is derived from his name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botolph_of_Thorney

Old 11-06-2022, 08:29 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,850,974 times
emphasis is on syllable two of Botolph

first syllable is a 'buh' so Saint buh-TOLPH or buh-TOFF ('au' sound like coffee)

Old 11-07-2022, 10:35 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,318,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I lived there in a tiny and simple efficiency from 1985 to 1990.

Of course, much cheaper then with my modest earnings. Couldn't afford it now even with cost of living increases. I was lucky to live in town, by myself, ages 25 to 30. A different Boston then, of course....better or worse? Seemed or was much more affordable to enjoy even for basic people like me.

Charming area then: near Symphony Hall, Northeastern, Copley Place and the Pru.

Even better now as brick sidewalks plus acorn lights, unlike then. Probably more condos, so maybe nicer doors and landscaping now.

I say "Be TOLPH." Tonight I was walking near there, and a young male asked his friend if they're near "St. BO tolph St." yet. Yes, I have heard that on occasion, but I think my way is more common.

How would you say it?
I've always pronounced it 'Bah-TOLPH', so like you but with a soft 'o' like in bottom or soft.

Old 11-08-2022, 04:01 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,029,753 times
I only started saying the name when I was at NEU despite growing up in the city. So my pronunciation may be that if an out-of-towner, but I’ve always said “bolt off”.

Old 11-08-2022, 06:06 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,123,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
emphasis is on syllable two of Botolph

first syllable is a 'buh' so Saint buh-TOLPH or buh-TOFF ('au' sound like coffee)

I've been working my "butt off" trying to get the right pronunciation.

Old 11-08-2022, 06:20 AM

432 posts, read 414,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
The latter pronunciation would be the out-of-towner way of saying it. You say it the Bostonian way (and so do I) and closer to the British pronunciation.
so Don't I

Old 11-08-2022, 06:51 AM

5,093 posts, read 2,656,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brk330 View Post
so Don't I
They are both idioms that essentially imply the same meaning in this area. Yours is peculiar to New England and, to me, makes no sense. In this case, I'm agreeing with the subject. Using the negative word "don't" naturally connotes disagreement. "So don't I" implies that I use another pronunciation than the one he referenced. I'll toss "So don't I" into the same pile as "I could care less."

Nobody likes a grammar queen, especially when they have no valid point.

Old 11-08-2022, 09:15 AM

432 posts, read 414,247 times
"You say it the Bostonian way (and so do I)"

"So don't I" is the Bostonian way way of saying 'so do I'

There.

Joke explained.

You should take boston out of your screen name if that went over your head.

wow...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: