Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2022, 12:11 PM

5,118 posts, read 2,677,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
These housing lottery deals can be pretty ridiculous. I know someone who got one about 10 or so years ago. She was a single teacher in her 20's, did not come from poverty or anything like that (quite the latter). She got married shortly after winning this lottery house, employed husband moved in. I suppose it is what it is- it's like winning the lottery...but the people who get these places are not typically hurting. It would make more sense if they went to people more in need...a single female in her 20's with no kids, a degree, a solid job (not to mention well off parents) just doesn't feel like someone who really needs a cheap house...but hey I don't make the rules here. I'm sure the neighbors appreciated someone like her ended up moving in around them.
Thing is, not many teachers or other public servants can afford a market-rate condo in the city limits nowadays. As it is, you can't have more than 75K on hand in any of your bank accounts to be eligible for these programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2022, 12:16 PM

21,650 posts, read 12,800,939 times
Quote:
These housing lottery deals can be pretty ridiculous. I know someone who got one about 10 or so years ago. She was a single teacher in her 20's, did not come from poverty or anything like that (quite the latter). She got married shortly after winning this lottery house, employed husband moved in. I suppose it is what it is- it's like winning the lottery...but the people who get these places are not typically hurting. It would make more sense if they went to people more in need...a single female in her 20's with no kids, a degree, a solid job (not to mention well off parents) just doesn't feel like someone who really needs a cheap house...but hey I don't make the rules here. I'm sure the neighbors appreciated someone like her ended up moving in around them.
Well two things
1) This housing isn’t meant for people hurting generally. It really is workforce housing for teachers and people like that. It’s not the projects.

Now there are some units for people making very low income 30-40% AMI, b mostly this is for middle class people who can’t otherwise afford housing in Boston. The stability of owning a home is exactly what allows people to save and get to a place where marriage is a good option. It’s always been framed as workforce housing except for the ignorant right wing people.

2) you de center yourself. I just read a story about a family of four balling 80k that’s living in tents in Rhode Island where there is significantly less IDP. I know a couple younger than me (24 and 26) with one kid they make about 75-80k combined. The mother is in school still and after like 35 applications and 4 months they secured a rental. These are young people from Boston who aren’t necessarily hurting / they come from stable parents, middle class backgrounds but really needed a space of their own. Most commentators here are older middle and upper middle class White people- it’s unlikely you’re seeing the full gamut of need out there. I know for sure I am not.

3) some neighbors do prefer to live around families with kids or teachers over hoarded finance or tech bros. Preference.

But yes, ultimately it is quite literally a lottery.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 12-19-2022 at 12:25 PM..

Old 12-19-2022, 12:23 PM

16,424 posts, read 8,233,962 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Thing is, not many teachers or other public servants can afford a market-rate condo in the city limits nowadays. As it is, you can't have more than 75K on hand in any of your bank accounts to be eligible for these programs.
Right, as I said it is what it is. This was 10 years ago so she wasn't making 75k as a teacher...at the end of the day I don't really care I guess. I think as long as the housing goes to a decent person who isn't trying to milk the system, works, doesn't have the police coming to their house then whatever.

It gets old arguing about these affordable housing situations. People who can't afford the area should just move. It gets old listening to people say they can't afford rent or to buy a home meanwhile all the homes that are on the market are severely overpriced in many ways.

I guess I'm old fashioned but rather than complain to the powers that be about not being able to afford something I go with what I can afford.

Old 12-19-2022, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Right, as I said it is what it is. This was 10 years ago so she wasn't making 75k as a teacher...at the end of the day I don't really care I guess. I think as long as the housing goes to a decent person who isn't trying to milk the system, works, doesn't have the police coming to their house then whatever.

It gets old arguing about these affordable housing situations. People who can't afford the area should just move. It gets old listening to people say they can't afford rent or to buy a home meanwhile all the homes that are on the market are severely overpriced in many ways.

I guess I'm old fashioned but rather than complain to the powers that be about not being able to afford something I go with what I can afford.
I kind of agree, but it's gotten to the point where people who serve this city can't afford to live anywhere near it. It would be one thing if you could go 15-20 miles out and afford something, but that's not easy either on an income of 100K - even for a single individual. I think they need to even relax the standards. By saying you can't have anymore than 75K in assets you're eliminating people who save, and they should be encouraging savings. 96K also isn't a huge salary.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 12-19-2022 at 12:40 PM..

Old 12-19-2022, 12:42 PM

Quote:

There’s a reason these programs exist in every major city Worth it’s Salt. These people can’t all just move and there’s not similar opportunities everywhere. The city also wouldn’t function nearly as well. And you’d be disconnecting people from there support systems low income people especially rely on their social net works to keep from utter ruin. Once they’re dislocated from friends and family they fare poorly. Add to this moving is insanely expensive. Much more so than moving within the same city.

What you’re saying isn’t really realistic and ultimately doesn’t happen that often. Just because you don’t want to hear air or- that means nothing. Your old Fashioned because you’re talking in terms and in reality that doesn’t exist anymore. Telling middle class teacher and others to just move isn’t helpful or realistic: they just move further into MA causing more traffic and pollution.

Realistically it takes YEARS of planning for most people to move out of a state and the poorer people simply don’t have skills that would justify them moving to another staee the- no matter where they live. And they’re beholden to assistance programs within their state. That’s why the poverty rate never really fluctuates and we don’t actually see a decrease in low income households in the city or state.

The reality is the things that increase affordability most people are just opposed to because they don’t want to be Houston, but they don’t want to be baltimore either. And then they done want rent control like nyc. But then they don’t want income-restricted units, but then they don’t want y’all buildings. Ultimately no reasonable city planner can listen to the peanut gallery.

The type of city you probably want - realistically- is Raleigh, NC. The problem is we are so different from North Carolina. But it’s absolutely full of older people from Massachusetts.

Old 12-19-2022, 12:47 PM

Something should be done to help city employees afford things more easily. As for everyone else it seems there is no choice but to move. Or spend their lives bitching and complaining.

Old 12-19-2022, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
I kind of agree, but it's gotten to the point where people who serve this city can't afford to live anywhere near it. It would be one thing if you could go 15-20 miles out and afford something, but that's not easy either on an income of 100K - even for a single individual. I think they need to even relax the standards. By saying you can't have anymore than 75K in assets you're eliminating people who save, and they should be encouraging savings. 96K also isn't a huge salary.
I think increasing the rate would draw way more pushback because in theory people over 100k can compete for market rate rental. That’s too wide a berth. There are actually quite a few units for people among 100-120% of the AMI but when you open up the affordable lotteries to that income they become even more competitive lotteries. There’s tons of those people and they’re very good at navigating burecracy and applications

Median household incomes In the state and city are well below 100k. The housing is simply too expensive for most of the population.

Old 12-19-2022, 12:56 PM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
There’s a reason these programs exist in every major city Worth it’s Salt. These people can’t all just move and there’s not similar opportunities everywhere. The city also wouldn’t function nearly as well. And you’d be disconnecting people from there support systems low income people especially rely on their social net works to keep from utter ruin. Once they’re dislocated from friends and family they fare poorly. Add to this moving is insanely expensive. Much more so than moving within the same city.

What you’re saying isn’t really realistic and ultimately doesn’t happen that often. Just because you don’t want to hear air or- that means nothing. Your old Fashioned because you’re talking in terms and in reality that doesn’t exist anymore. Telling middle class teacher and others to just move isn’t helpful or realistic: they just move further into MA causing more traffic and pollution.

Realistically it takes YEARS of planning for most people to move out of a state and the poorer people simply don’t have skills that would justify them moving to another staee the- no matter where they live. And they’re beholden to assistance programs within their state. That’s why the poverty rate never really fluctuates and we don’t actually see a decrease in low income households in the city or state.

The reality is the things that increase affordability most people are just opposed to because they don’t want to be Houston, but they don’t want to be baltimore either. And then they done want rent control like nyc. But then they don’t want income-restricted units, but then they don’t want y’all buildings. Ultimately no reasonable city planner can listen to the peanut gallery.

The type of city you probably want - realistically- is Raleigh, NC. The problem is we are so different from North Carolina. But it’s absolutely full of older people from Massachusetts.
I don't think it's realistic or sustainable to be able to provide affordable housing to people who are too lazy to move. There's no way the city can or should keep up with that.

Old 12-19-2022, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I think increasing the rate would draw way more pushback because in theory people over 100k can compete for market rate rental. That’s too wide a berth. There are actually quite a few units for people among 100-120% of the AMI but when you open up the affordable lotteries to that income they become even more competitive lotteries. There’s tons of those people and they’re very good at navigating burecracy and applications

Median household incomes In the state and city are well below 100k. The housing is simply too expensive for most of the population.
I'm referring to the home ownership programs and you should be good at navigating applications if you want to own property. There are tons of opportunities for for lower income people to rent at subsidized rents. There are few opportunities for people in the middle classes who get up everyday and go to work but whose income or assets leaves them outside both the parameters of subsidies and the ability to afford market rate real estate.

Old 12-19-2022, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Something should be done to help city employees afford things more easily. As for everyone else it seems there is no choice but to move. Or spend their lives bitching and complaining.
City employees being require to live in the city doesn’t really make sense now. They may repeal that. Catering to them doesn’t seem like a great idea. The city could just pay them more…

But you still need contractors Construction workers Nannie’s CNAs janitors, little league coaches, high school coaches, teachers, bus drivers, Uber drivers, small business owners, employees, retail, psychologists, fast food employees, DPW, park rangers, paralegals etc etc. what your saying just isn’t on the table because it’s not at all realistic. The city would basically collapse. Which is why these things exist. The QOL would fall off a cliff if you don’t try to keep all the people making under 100k. It’s especially bad in MA because it’s not at all affordable till you get very very far from transit and the city.

People with high incomes have options the super majority of them don’t choose Boston and certainly won’t if places aren’t Annie to find a 2nd shift, busses are late due to lack of employees and parks aren’t maintained. Look no further than San Francisco to see what I’m talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston