Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2023, 08:18 AM

3,231 posts, read 2,134,721 times

Advertisements

It's a common gripe. And, yes everything closing at 9pm does not really constitute for a world class city. I am glad you really had a nice night at your friends house though. That will be very helpful to people moving here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2023, 08:20 AM

21,700 posts, read 12,842,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I'm not sure how Boston can be called a non city. I mean really? Just because places aren't open all goddam night?

Perhaps that is a reason Boston is fairly successful. We have some of the best colleges and hospitals in the world. Staying out all night isn't healthy. If you really want to do it you still can...you just go to someone's house. I've done it.
It’s certainly a real city. I brought my girlfriend who is from Jersey City/NYC and she was very impressed immediately when we got to Boston- the moment we got there she had great things to say all as we passed the prudential,Mass art, northeastern, Shawmut Ave and such. And in downtown crossing/the common. she didn’t know it was so big or vibrant. Enjoys coming back up and would put it in her short list of places to move.

I think for a college student in their pseudo-suburbanized elite safety bubble it can feel less irreverent and dynamic than it really is.

Old 09-11-2023, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
It's a common gripe. And, yes everything closing at 9pm does not really constitute for a world class city. I am glad you really had a nice night at your friends house though. That will be very helpful to people moving here.
Idk man I see so many events and nightlife event through pages I follow on social media many aimed at people in their 20s- far more that I’m interested in than I could attend in one weekend if I were in Boston. one thing I do find is there are other people like me locals who feel that the experience is worse for students. I saw that comment under a clip showing a crowded green line train as “nightlife for students in Boston”

I’ve never had to do that. I’m in the camp that you need to be “plugged in” to have a vibrant social life - which i fully realize is a negative and something the city could work on. But yea in my younger days traversing around Boston I definitely found it to be a varied and interesting ‘real’ city. It has its shortcomings though.

Old 09-11-2023, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Idk man I see so many events and nightlife event through pages I follow on social media many aimed at people in their 20s- far more that I’m interested in than I could attend in one weekend if I were in Boston. one thing I do find is there are other people like me locals who feel that the experience is worse for students. I saw that comment under a clip showing a crowded green line train as “nightlife for students in Boston”

I’ve never had to do that. I’m in the camp that you need to be “plugged in” to have a vibrant social life - which i fully realize is a negative and something the city could work on. But yea in my younger days traversing around Boston I definitely found it to be a varied and interesting ‘real’ city. It has its shortcomings though.
yeah. there was always after hours clubs (rise) and the loft parties down on A and D street. But these were technically illegal and you had to know about them. I'm too old for that stuff now, but I see it in most EU countries and other major cities. Clubs open till 4 or 5.
Even just being able to get food at 1am is challenge here.

Old 09-11-2023, 08:53 AM

16,516 posts, read 8,288,980 times
Default re

Quote:
lol your comments dude, you're just a sour human being. You think I care about anyone moving here and their complaints that things close early? Also, everywhere does NOT close at 9am. I can remember staying at bars until 2am...when I should have been home in bed. Some restaurants stay open.

Not everywhere NEEDS to be a 'party' city...although it seems to me it's very possible to party in Boston and we sure do.

Old 09-11-2023, 08:56 AM

Quote:
lol your comments dude, you're just a sour human being. You think I care about anyone moving here and their complaints that things close early? Also, everywhere does NOT close at 9am. I can remember staying at bars until 2am...when I should have been home in bed. Some restaurants stay open.

Not everywhere NEEDS to be a 'party' city...although it seems to me it's very possible to party in Boston and we sure do.
why would you care? you work from home, and you don't live here.
Sour human being?

Old 09-11-2023, 09:03 AM

16,516 posts, read 8,288,980 times
Default re

Quote:
why would you care? you work from home, and you don't live here.
Sour human being?
Why do you care as well? You plan on being out until 4am?

The city seems to be doing QUITE well despite not having things open late. Also at this point why are we even looking to attract MORE people to move here? lol. That shouldnt be an attraction. People move here for jobs and school.

Old 09-11-2023, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Why do you care as well? You plan on being out until 4am?

The city seems to be doing QUITE well despite not having things open late. Also at this point why are we even looking to attract MORE people to move here? lol. That shouldnt be an attraction. People move here for jobs and school.
I care because i live and vote here. And this thread started about food carts, which would benefit me greatly. And yes there is the odd night that i may be up at 4am (due to insomnia) not partying, and I would love to go to a cafe or something similar. I do understand YOU don't want people to move HERE, but what do you care? honestly? it does not effect you at all.

Old 09-11-2023, 07:45 PM

To my point about Food

https://www.facebook.com/10004429738...ibextid=cr9u03

The woman commenting is a news reporter here originally from New Jersey.

Old 09-18-2023, 09:22 AM

3,245 posts, read 1,694,848 times
Nightlife is great but your city better be ready to pay the taxes that's needed to keep things running late such as more police patrolling at night and EMT and fire fighters ready. If your city or town isn't a 24/7 big city don't try to emulate NYC. Then watch your tax bill go up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston