Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2023, 08:04 AM

21,836 posts, read 13,046,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
I wonder where such zones would be designated and how much traffic they would attract. .
The fact that there are smalls strict zones for food trucks and food carts is the death-knell already. What's the point of bein mobile, if you can't be mobile?

I can honestly say In my neck ofthe Boston woods the only food truck I have ever seen that wasnt at a city-sponsored festival was an ice cream truck. Never since I lived there or have come back to visit have I seen a food truck casually posted up anywhere certainly not in Roxbury Dorchester Mattapan Hyde Park Roslindale...

The fact that they're going to heavily restrict a pushcart so as to not step on a whole-ass restaurant's toes means this is destined for failure and will never become something commonplace. The entire Boston food scene is based on the protectionism of the most-monied operators... which makes it next-to impossible to grow and thrive in the restaurant industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2023, 08:13 AM

5,191 posts, read 2,772,741 times
^I agree.

Old 09-01-2023, 08:46 AM

3,330 posts, read 2,186,800 times
I think it's the point. To have less beurocratic barriers to make these more feasible to people who don't have time to wade through the red tape. I mean it's pretty much what the article spells out. The reason our food truck scene is so ridiculous is because of everything they are trying to fix in this article.

Old 09-01-2023, 09:02 AM

13,039 posts, read 22,234,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
The fact that there are smalls strict zones for food trucks and food carts is the death-knell already. What's the point of bein mobile, if you can't be mobile?

I can honestly say In my neck ofthe Boston woods the only food truck I have ever seen that wasnt at a city-sponsored festival was an ice cream truck. Never since I lived there or have come back to visit have I seen a food truck casually posted up anywhere certainly not in Roxbury Dorchester Mattapan Hyde Park Roslindale...

The fact that they're going to heavily restrict a pushcart so as to not step on a whole-ass restaurant's toes means this is destined for failure and will never become something commonplace. The entire Boston food scene is based on the protectionism of the most-monied operators... which makes it next-to impossible to grow and thrive in the restaurant industry.
Good points. I've seen very few here too. There was one Columbian hot dog truck that popped up in Maverick during the pandemic, but it hasn't been back in a while. Clippership Wharf Apartments occasionally invites one in and allows the public to use it too. But I imagine there would be more if there weren't so many restrictions. There is a regular coffee cart and popsicle cart that seem to have a little more flexibility on where they setup. Hopefully that's indicative of how things will be for push carts, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Ideally, they would be allowed flexibility to be mobile but also have locations where they could cluster. I know that approach has helped several food trucks. They've benefitted from the recognition of being part of regular location with several food trucks clustered around crowds (i.e. Dewey Square), and that recognition has helped when they're solo (or to book private events). It's be great to have a couple of conveniently pushcart markets but to also be able to find them when they're solo in city neighborhoods.

Food truck rules were put in place during either the Walsh or the Menino administrations. So maybe things will be different now?

Old 09-01-2023, 10:56 AM

980 posts, read 573,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
The Grand Bazaar in Istanbul is pretty beautiful. If the Quincy Market Food Hall was more like that (on a much smaller scale), I'd call it an improvement. Regardless, I'd love places with a high density of push cart vendors.
As long as it is some kind of specific area inside or outside, and not all over Boston I am good. I do not want to walk on Boylston street or Rose Kennedy Greenway surrounded by carts or food kiosks. It also will make streets dirtier than they are now.

Old 09-01-2023, 11:14 AM

17,090 posts, read 8,699,352 times
It's funny how people in that article say they think the push carts are dirty but would have no problem eating of a baby carriage. Da f*ck? Do you know how dirty a baby carriage can get?

Old 09-01-2023, 03:18 PM

350 posts, read 203,456 times
"for people who "lack capital and political connections" to "cook up simple delicious food to sell outside"

Well of COURSE that's the agenda. We get the dog-whistle.

Never mind all the businesses you destroyed during Covid for example,my dentist's, after 40 years.

yeah sure, I'm in a BIG HURRY to buy FOOD from someone "lacking capital". Hell, I don't even go to restaurants.

Old 09-01-2023, 03:45 PM

17,090 posts, read 8,699,352 times
I'm sure everything is clean and health standards are being met

Old 09-01-2023, 05:58 PM

5,191 posts, read 2,772,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxrivers View Post
"for people who "lack capital and political connections" to "cook up simple delicious food to sell outside"

Never mind all the businesses you destroyed during Covid for example,my dentist's, after 40 years.

yeah sure, I'm in a BIG HURRY to buy FOOD from someone "lacking capital". Hell, I don't even go to restaurants.
I'd trust a small independent business owner to uphold sanitary standards a hell of a lot more than some of the raggedy and disinterested-appearing employees in some of the corporate food places in this town. Although I do get your point about all the small businesses destroyed from COVID policies-- and also unfettered gentrification---over the years.

Old 09-01-2023, 07:16 PM

21,836 posts, read 13,046,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxrivers View Post

Saying people don’t have capital to start a restaurant is a dog whistle now, seriously? ‘Delicious food’ is a dog whistle…. gimme a break.

Isn’t that the exact identity politics the right claims to hate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston