Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2023, 08:09 PM

1,063 posts, read 714,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
The Grand Bazaar in Istanbul is pretty beautiful. If the Quincy Market Food Hall was more like that (on a much smaller scale), I'd call it an improvement. Regardless, I'd love places with a high density of push cart vendors.

I've never been to Kuala Lumpur, but I have done food courts/markets in Singapore, and it's one of my favorite dining experiences on the planet. I know Singapore has pretty strict regulations and enforcement but, unfortunately, ours our different in a way that I don't think would allow something very similar.

My hope is that they can make it as easy and as cheap as possible for people to legally start up a pushcart. I also hope that they create spaces that multiple vendors can gather (hopefully year-round) since a market/food court is a bigger draw than a single vendor. Food trucks are great, but still out of reach for someone with limited means. Pushcarts are truly entry level entrepreneurship (assuming they're not regulated to death), and it would be great if the city could encourage them.
It's a shame that Boston can't get anything like that.

The closest I saw in Boston was a place in Allston that kind of functioned like a food card.

Yes, the ones in Singapore are similar to the ones in Malaysia. The biggest difference is the ones in Singapore tend to be very close to train stations and they're cleaner, but the ones in Malaysia have MUCH better food. MUCH better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2023, 02:09 PM

16,898 posts, read 8,569,313 times
It was first thought SARS-CoV-2 made the jump to humans at one of Wuhan, China's open-air “wet markets.”

Old 09-04-2023, 08:20 AM

1,063 posts, read 714,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
It was first thought SARS-CoV-2 made the jump to humans at one of Wuhan, China's open-air “wet markets.”
These are NOT the same thing.

Old 09-04-2023, 01:51 PM

5,174 posts, read 2,747,614 times
Yeah. Cooked food and live animals are slightly different.

Old 09-05-2023, 07:25 AM

3,289 posts, read 2,170,059 times
Quote:
Stay home. You'll be safe there.

Old 09-05-2023, 08:35 AM

The point is that food carts and often time food trucks are not clean or sanitary. But you do you. If you want to buy food out of a cart or baby carriage from some woman who just got off the boat from Haiti who may or may not wash her hands go for it.

Old 09-05-2023, 09:12 AM

Quote:
The point is that food carts and often time food trucks are not clean or sanitary. But you do you. If you want to buy food out of a cart or baby carriage from some woman who just got off the boat from Haiti who may or may not wash her hands go for it.
They go through inspection processes just like restaurants in this city - many of which I wouldn't eat in if it was the only place left to eat. People need to do their jobs as citizens and report when they see violations of sanitary codes.

Old 09-05-2023, 09:14 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
They go through inspection processes just like other food establishments in this city - many of which I wouldn't eat in if it was the only place left to eat.
Are you sure on that? If it becomes a thing where a bunch of carts go up in the city I'm not sure I believe that all of them go through an inspection process.

And just because they go through an insepction process doesn't mean they are clean on a day to day basis or have hygenic people working there.

Old 09-05-2023, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Are you sure on that? If it becomes a thing where a bunch of carts go up in the city I'm not sure I believe that all of them go through an inspection process.

And just because they go through an insepction process doesn't mean they are clean on a day to day basis or have hygenic people working there.
Same goes for restaurants.

Old 09-05-2023, 09:35 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Same goes for restaurants.
Yes I know. Sometimes I cringe wondering what is happening in the kitchen. I think the more people that are in the kitchen hopefully the more likely they are to follow rules unless they are just scumbags who don't care about hygiene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston