Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:26 AM

5,106 posts, read 2,666,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
New England as a region is a bubble. In my opinion, because of New Englanders. We prize conformity.
I think true New Englanders are the opposite and are very individualistic by nature. I think conformity is a relatively new trend in Boston, because of corporate outsiders and far left corporate progressives. Conformity has generally been much more prevalent in other parts of the nation based on my observations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:04 AM

16,371 posts, read 8,187,139 times
I don't live in a bubble. I pay attention to the news on a National level. I know how bad Chicago is. I'm surprised that Boston has had just two murders this year but the areas in and around Boston have had plenty of murders.

Old Yesterday, 07:16 AM

4,227 posts, read 1,673,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
I think true New Englanders are the opposite and are very individualistic by nature. I think conformity is a relatively new trend in Boston, because of corporate outsiders and far left corporate progressives. Conformity has generally been much more prevalent in other parts of the nation based on my observations.
"Compliance with standards, rules or laws." That's us. At least it's me, and those I grew up with. It's inculcated. It's why we do the right thing, even when nobody's watching. Individualistic perhaps, but conformative for sure. I'm in North Carolina enough to find it culturally lawless by comparison. To me, as a New Englander, night and day.

Last edited by PureBoston; Yesterday at 07:35 AM..

Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM

Quote:
"Compliance with standards, rules or laws." That's us. At least it's me, and those I grew up with. It's inculcated. It's why we do the right thing, even when nobody's watching. Individualistic perhaps, but conformative for sure. I'm in North Carolina enough to find it culturally lawless by comparison. To me, as a New Englander, night and day.
Hmm, standards you may be on to something but...laws and rules? Maybe I just don't understand what you're implying. I'm not so sure about New Englanders being more inclined to follow laws and rules than others. Do the right thing...okay generally speaking, sure. That's certainly my philosophy. If you're saying that New Englanders are obedient, I don't see it. I think up until recently we've been more compliant and respectful with law enforcement and authority figures than people in some other parts of the country, yes. But I know many areas of the country that are much more conformist and obedient than New Englanders, generally speaking....and I would place New York and New Jersey into the same category as us. Maybe we've just seen different side of New Englanders. New England has also produced a lot of criminals. I don't think New England culture has much to do with why the Boston murder rate is low right now.

Old Yesterday, 02:07 PM

4,227 posts, read 1,673,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Hmm, standards you may be on to something but...laws and rules? Maybe I just don't understand what you're implying. I'm not so sure about New Englanders being more inclined to follow laws and rules than others. Do the right thing...okay generally speaking, sure. That's certainly my philosophy. If you're saying that New Englanders are obedient, I don't see it. I think up until recently we've been more compliant and respectful with law enforcement and authority figures than people in some other parts of the country, yes. But I know many areas of the country that are much more conformist and obedient than New Englanders, generally speaking....and I would place New York and New Jersey into the same category as us. Maybe we've just seen different side of New Englanders. New England has also produced a lot of criminals. I don't think New England culture has much to do with why the Boston murder rate is low right now.
I'm reminded of a quote from the marvelous Michael Rennie in a sci-fi movie. "Let us both be satisfied with our differing opinions." I'm satisfied with my own.

Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I'm reminded of a quote from the marvelous Michael Rennie in a sci-fi movie. "Let us both be satisfied with our differing opinions." I'm satisfied with my own.
That doesn't work for me. Please conform.

Old Today, 12:53 AM

1,043 posts, read 684,214 times
Massachusetts has one of the lowest murder rates in the country year after year, but some on this forum act as if it's Caracas.

Old Today, 05:19 AM

3,212 posts, read 2,120,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
Massachusetts has one of the lowest murder rates in the country year after year, but some on this forum act as if it's Caracas.
Well you know. They used to live here once upon a time, but are so fixated on doom that they can't help but remind the ones who do live here how bad it is

Old Today, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Well you know. They used to live here once upon a time, but are so fixated on doom that they can't help but remind the ones who do live here how bad it is
I think it's just a small core group of people here who thrive on drama and use sensationalism to seek attention from their peers. As you can see, they've had a noticeable impact on participation on this forum. You look at the threads sometimes and it feels like you're reading the Star or National Enquirer.

Old Today, 06:03 AM

16,371 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Really? The Enquirer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston