Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2024, 07:16 AM

12,847 posts, read 22,014,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
When I lived up there, I found the Boston police to be fairly reasonable when it came to the challenges of parking in Boston, like you say. Somerville/Cambridge policies were a different story. When it came to parking, I always felt like parking in Somerville was a little slice of hell. The city institutionalized a hatred of students by way of its parking policy, and it oozed from the city employees in interactions with them. They made little accommodation for those who weren’t townies. Parking policies penalized students, but were also punitive toward the yuppie (non-townie) residents in my neighborhood as well. That trickled down into citizen behavior toward one another. I remember watching a fist fight over a parking space in the aftermath of a snow storm. Coming from elsewhere, it was a little surreal, and totally off-putting.

I’ll always look back somewhat fondly at the time I lived in Somerville because of the friends I made during that time, but the complete animus toward residents was unforgivable. I wouldn’t live there again.
This was my experience as well. Somerville's policies were so hard for students that most I knew opted to pay extra for a place with off street parking (or pay separately for a space off property) rather than deal with the process of obtaining a permit. Even if you were able to obtain one, Somerville was absolutely militant with parking enforcement. In my experience, it was easier to actually find a space and park on the street in Somerville than Boston, but the permitting and enforcement was horrible.

My first month in Somerville, I was ticketed at 12:02AM on Highland Avenue for violating the Street Sweeping restriction (which started at 12:00AM). I appealed because I truly didn't see a sign. I even took pictures of the block where I was parked and there wasn't a sign. At my appeal, the clerk brushed me off immediately, "there are signs that say it clearly. You need to look better." When I showed her my pictures, she grabbed some random guy (I assume a city employee) who said, "oh yeah, the sign there was hit and they haven't replaced it yet." He even pointed to the fresh blacktop where the post used to be. They still didn't overturn my ticket. She just shrugged and said that I should have walked further to look for another sign. Boston, on the other hand, gave me a freebie when I accidentally parked during "resident permit only" hours in the West End. I appealed online and just wrote that I misread the sign. I got a response that said essentially "we believe you to be in the wrong, but we'll waive this ticket." A different world.

The townie vs. students and yuppies thing was/is brutal. I don't miss it. It's still on full display on the Davis Square Facebook Group (I'm no longer a member, but it's public) if you are ever feeling nostalgic. I love Somerville and would still consider living there again. But the parking and enforcement was downright hostile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2024, 06:12 PM

3,785 posts, read 2,693,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
This was my experience as well. Somerville's policies were so hard for students that most I knew opted to pay extra for a place with off street parking (or pay separately for a space off property) rather than deal with the process of obtaining a permit. Even if you were able to obtain one, Somerville was absolutely militant with parking enforcement. In my experience, it was easier to actually find a space and park on the street in Somerville than Boston, but the permitting and enforcement was horrible.

My first month in Somerville, I was ticketed at 12:02AM on Highland Avenue for violating the Street Sweeping restriction (which started at 12:00AM). I appealed because I truly didn't see a sign. I even took pictures of the block where I was parked and there wasn't a sign. At my appeal, the clerk brushed me off immediately, "there are signs that say it clearly. You need to look better." When I showed her my pictures, she grabbed some random guy (I assume a city employee) who said, "oh yeah, the sign there was hit and they haven't replaced it yet." He even pointed to the fresh blacktop where the post used to be. They still didn't overturn my ticket. She just shrugged and said that I should have walked further to look for another sign. Boston, on the other hand, gave me a freebie when I accidentally parked during "resident permit only" hours in the West End. I appealed online and just wrote that I misread the sign. I got a response that said essentially "we believe you to be in the wrong, but we'll waive this ticket." A different world.

The townie vs. students and yuppies thing was/is brutal. I don't miss it. It's still on full display on the Davis Square Facebook Group (I'm no longer a member, but it's public) if you are ever feeling nostalgic. I love Somerville and would still consider living there again. But the parking and enforcement was downright hostile.
Hostile is the word! Yeah, I have memories of waiting in a long line to appeal a parking ticket with similar results. Somerville parking enforcement must be a moneymaking machine that more than covers the every other week street cleaning April - November. But they knew how to keep the roads clean!

I liked my neighborhood ok, but when I go back I realize the density is just too much, and it feels cramped. I miss the arts scene, Capone Foods, Dalí, Thirsty Scholar, the Wine and Cheese Cask, and not much more (that still exists, anyway). I am glad I left, and I would not consider moving back. Among my friends who lived there, that is a minority opinion.

Last edited by ormari; 02-13-2024 at 06:21 PM..

Old 02-16-2024, 06:32 AM

16,358 posts, read 8,174,665 times
Increase in domestic violence across the state :

https://www.wcvb.com/article/report-...dents/46806917

Old 03-06-2024, 10:23 PM

23,548 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Marcella Street in Roxbury...

Man shot, woman arrested at home in Roxbury, Boston police say

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local...ury-2/3299654/

Old 03-07-2024, 06:25 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,119,515 times
Controversial gang database credited in big federal bust

https://commonwealthbeacon.org/crimi...-federal-bust/

Old 03-08-2024, 08:38 AM

23,548 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Controversial gang database credited in big federal bust

https://commonwealthbeacon.org/crimi...-federal-bust/

It's been an invaluable tool at taking down gangs and keeping neighborhoods safer. That is not disputable. Big SHAME on those city council members fighting to dismantle it.

Old 03-08-2024, 09:23 AM

16,358 posts, read 8,174,665 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It's been an invaluable tool at taking down gangs and keeping neighborhoods safer. That is not disputable. Big SHAME on those city council members fighting to dismantle it.
right the only reason they want it gone is because they think it's racist

Old 03-08-2024, 09:31 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,119,515 times
Thugs are getting real sensitive these days.

Old 03-08-2024, 09:37 AM

17,716 posts, read 9,181,543 times
Didn't one of our forum members say he was mistakenly put in that database?

Old 03-08-2024, 12:26 PM

85 posts, read 32,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
There's a very good chance those "councilors" have a gangbanger relative, are married to one or are banging one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston