Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2012, 06:17 PM

2 posts, read 4,098 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are relocating to Boston from Binghamton NY in Oct. One job is in Dedham, and looking at either Newton or JP to live. Want a walkable town center and near T. Any opinion on the comparative commute from these areas? Thx! Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 08:13 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,895,370 times
Both Newton and JP will work for you. I would say JP is overall more walkable, as parts of Newton are fairly suburban. But Newton does have several town center type areas, which will give you a good walking experience. Both also have rapid transit lines to downtown Boston (D-Line LRT for Newton, Orange Line HRT for JP). The commute to Dedham is pretty equivalent for each, probably 10 to 15 minutes of driving.

There are some differences in these communities that might sway you a bit:
  • Jamaica Plain: more urban, higher population density, more funky
  • Newton: a nice mix of accessible shops and restaurants combined with larger and more private housing options
  • Jamaica Plain: can be expensive but also offers lower cost options
  • Newton: is expensive, no lower cost options
  • Jamaica Plain: Boston Public Schools, which can be very good but can also cause issues. If you pick JP and have kids, you'll need to put more effort in to understanding the school system and how best to maximize your options
  • Newton: one of the very best public school systems in the country. But as with anywhere else, there are kids who fail to thrive, kids who get in trouble, etc.
And if you like cycling:
  • Jamaica Plain: closer to downtown, great place if you enjoy urban cycling
  • Newton: close enough to downtown, but more of a suburban orientation -- good access to both urban biking and country roads

Hope this helps!

Old 07-03-2012, 12:15 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,429,180 times
I'd go Newton over JP. JP has many nice places, but many ghetto ones as well. If you do have kids JP is out. I've got to disagree with HenryAlan, I've never heard anybody ever say Boston Public and "very good" in the same sentence. I'm from JP, and did a 12yr sentence in Bostons terrible schools. Why not Dedham? Nice town, good schools, has everything and affordable.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:32 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,895,370 times
snatale1's experience in the schools was many years ago, and not necessarily relevant today. But I also wonder why not simply pick Dedham, rather than choose between nearby communities. It will be less expensive than either JP or Newton. One thing to think about, though (only if you have kids) is that any smaller town suburban school district is not going to have many options for you other than the neighborhood school. I don't know much about Dedham schools, but if the neighborhood school isn't very good, then you are basically out of luck. In Newton, you won't have that problem -- they are all good. Likewise, in JP you won't have that problem, because you will have dozens of different schools available to you.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,098 times
thank you everyone! No kids, but want fast access to town when they visit.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:56 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,429,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
In Newton, you won't have that problem -- they are all good. Likewise, in JP you won't have that problem, because you will have dozens of different schools available to you.
I'm not sure what part of YOU DON'T GET TO CHOOSE YOUR SCHOOL you don't get, but just like how all of Newton's school's are good...all of JP (or Boston's) for that fact are terrible. Again, before you tell people that I'm biased, LOOK FOR YOURSELF! I went to those schools my whole life did you? I still have family in them now, do you? The numbers are public info! Look them up yourself. So I'll repeat myself, If Boston's schools are so good, why do kids go into METCO lotteries to get shipped out to the burbs to go to GOOD schools at the cost of Boston taxpayers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston