Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 11:47 AM

138 posts, read 1,002,324 times

Advertisements

I'm getting pretty fed up with the people in my personal life telling me how nuts I am for wanting to move to Boston. It seems that everyone just focuses on the weather and how it's dumb that I want to move to a place with harsh winters, relative to San Diego. I've just lived in So Cal all my life, (and I know it will come back to haunt me probably) but the constantly boring heat is getting really old. It never rains or snows here...everyday is the same...like Groundhogs Day.

Anyways, are there any Cali to Boston transplants here that have had a great experience in Boston?

I hear that people in Boston can be stand-offish, bordering rude? I see myself as stand-offish as well. I'm friendly to someone who talks to me, but not likely to strike up conversation with just anyone. I guess in California that translates into "snob". Ha.

I also hear that everyone seems to focus on work and working hard and not enough on relaxing and enjoying life. Is this true? I go to work, put my hours in, but rarely want to put in extras or work until 7 at night. I value my personal life way more than my work life. If I didn't have to work, I wouldn't, and that's how I treat work...is this not acceptable in Boston or this is just a ridiculous stereotype?

Anyways, would love to hear from anyone with an opinion...my date for moving is getting closer....October!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 12:31 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times
As long as you are comfortable staying inside or using a coat, the weather here isn't that bad. If you could set up your life to avoid having to drive, at least in the winter, it isn't bad at all. Of course, if you've never really left San Diego you'll be in for a shock, but chances are if you like everything else out here you'll be able to adapt.

People here are more stand-offish, which doesn't bother me too much, but if you think that's an issue it could be. Lots of people seem in a hurry to get where there going and can sometimes by pushy--not sure if that's a local thing or a city thing, but it's certainly noticeable. I never thought people in California were overly friendly or polite, either. Certainly not like in the South or Midwest.

As for working hard--I think people work harder here than what I saw in California, but a lot will depend on your particular job. I know people who work their 8 hours and leave with no problems and I know others who work 12+ hours just to keep up.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:05 PM

230 posts, read 1,142,810 times
Boston is fantastic! My husband and I love it to pieces. I was raised on the east coast, so I'm biased, but I spent 10 years in Long Beach/Irvine/IE/LA. My husband was California born and bred. And he loves it here. People are normal to me. I don't get a lot of people trying to be friends with me only to talk crap about me the minute I walk away. Someone once told me that it's harder to make friends here, but once you do, you'll have friends for life and I agree with that statement. It's like dating. They take their time with you, suss you out. And then if they like you, they'll chat with you. I like that.

It does depend on your job as to how much you will work and such. My husband is a financial analyst and he only works 36 hours a week. I'm in law and work 35 :-) We're lucky. We've gotten into good companies. But, besides that point, I see a lot of people out on weekends and especially love to see people sitting in the Common or the Garden in their business garb during the week. I'm never alone with my heels kicked off into the grass during lunch :-) It's wonderful and so refreshing. :-)

As for winters, they don't last forever. I didn't like California because of the heat. And it wasn't just the heat (I can handle anything for 3 or 4 months), but it was the overwhelming feeling that it would NEVER end. I hated that with such a passion. Knowing that, if you just bare with it, it'll be over soon. That wasn't an option in California. So stagnant. Summers here are beautiful (though this one has been quite rainy) and fall is absolutely gorgeous.

I'm biased because I'm in love with it, but come on over to Boston. :-)

Old 08-16-2008, 03:22 PM

198 posts, read 354,733 times
Not at all...I presently live 80 miles north of San Diego, but I lived 55 years in Maine.

I have always loved Boston. It is the greatest little city in the world. Yup..it's going to be cold as hell in the winter, and it's going to be muggy in the summer, but the city itself is most seductive.

I love southern California. It's one helluva place to retire, but if someone is young and has some credentials, Boston is the best.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:47 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaGoHome View Post
Boston is fantastic! My husband and I love it to pieces. I was raised on the east coast, so I'm biased, but I spent 10 years in Long Beach/Irvine/IE/LA.
IE is hot as hell. My cousin lives over there and whenever I go I'm like "dayumn"! Can't really blame you for wanting seasons at that point.

I moved the opposite way when I graduated, I lived in PB for a year and I live in North Park now just so you know where I'm coming from. I was raised 20 minutes or so outside Boston.

Regarding work-life balance it's gonna depend on your career. So Cal is weird in that it is really a work to live type of place (based on the people I know here and what I've seen). Most of my friends and people I know in general are a lot more into their work in Boston; it could be just because their ambitious, who knows. I mean, it's not like people move to San Diego to get rich, so it would make sense. The group of people that live in San Diego are just going to operate differently with regards to their lifestyle due to that.

The harsh winters are ok on the condition that you don't have to drive and you don't mind waiting in lines to get into bars in 20-30 degree weather. If you have to drive or something it becomes a nightmare, more so if you're driving/living in the city. If you live in the city make sure you do not own a car. Honestly, one thing you should get used to is never drive in the city, coming from SD you won't be able to handle it (sorry, it's just the truth). Seasonwise the I only really miss Fall. September till maybe early November is pretty awesome.

Also keep in mind that if you're going to live in the city, it's going to be expensive. I pay 800/month for a 600 sqft 1 br and my utilities are non-existant. I would never be able to get that in Boston/Cambridge. I probably take a hit on my paycheck in SD (sunshine tax), but I'm not sure if it would be enough to balance it out. If you dump your car tho the COL will probably be even.

People are stand-offish in the way you describe, but I guess you're okay with that so it's not a big negative.

Even if you don't end up moving to Boston, if you're young move somewhere else and see how things are different there. You might learn a thing or two if you have an open mind.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:47 PM

15 posts, read 52,632 times
just so you know before you move...

1. this city is home to the rudest crudest people on earth

2. home to some of the biggest losers on earth

3. home to some of the biggest snobs on earth

4. we have five month horrible cold winters

5. we have the worst drivers in the country, driving on 128 is a daily dance with death

6. people are caught up in there own pathetic little lives, no one will smile and talk to you.

7. we do not have four seasons, 5 months of winter, 5 months of summer, one month of fall and spring

8. we have a corrupt one party government

9. illegals and minorities everywhere

10. horrible public transportation that is never one time.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:53 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
Average daytime temperatures in Boston are above 52 degrees 7 months out of the year- From April through November- With average daytime highs 63 and above May through October. I would not assume a temperture 50-55 degrees and above to be associated with winter. That being so, the premise of there being '5 months of winter in Boston' to be untrue- and the rest of what was said in the previous very negative post to be as equally fallacious.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:08 AM

2,412 posts, read 7,178,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionD View Post
I'm getting pretty fed up with the people in my personal life telling me how nuts I am for wanting to move to Boston....I've just lived in So Cal all my life, (and I know it will come back to haunt me probably) but the constantly boring heat is getting really old....Anyways, would love to hear from anyone with an opinion...
FashionD, I think you'll get along in Boston just fine. You clearly know that Boston is different than San Diego and you're ready for a change. I say "pack your bags and come on over!"

I moved to Mass. from TX and like MA very much. Like you, I was tired of constant sunny weather, of Christmastime in shorts and T-shirts. I wanted my kids to know what a snow day is; to see the beautiful leaves of autumn; to frolic in summer on the beach or in the mountains. I was ready for a change of scenery and New England fit the bill.

Boston is a great city. No, it is not as "laid back" or easy going as SoCal. But it is also a much more culturally and socially richer place. There are SO many differences between CA and MA, I suspect you'll find it both fascinating and frustrating at times. But that will make the move all that much more rewarding -- you will get to experience new things and see things from a different perspective.

As for your friends: many (most?) people grow up and live in the same place their whole lives. They often disparage those who would think of moving: "Why would you want to leave ____? Sure, it's got its problems, but ____ where you're thinking of moving has bad weather/higher taxes/rude people/is boring/etc., etc." Bottom line: most folks have limited views of the world. Don't let them impose their blinders on you.

And if you move out here and don't like it, I think San Diego will still be there if you wish to return.

Last edited by professorsenator; 08-17-2008 at 08:10 AM..

Old 08-17-2008, 11:25 AM

138 posts, read 1,002,324 times
Thanks for the input, all. I really appreciate it. You know, when you're gearing up to make a big move and everyone seems to be negative about it, it kind of ruins it...so I'm looking forward to welcoming the adventure and hope that Boston is what I imagine it.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:45 PM

198 posts, read 354,733 times
Those who are usually negative about YOUR move are probably jealous.

Before we moved from Maine to California, all we heard was that California was about to fall into the sea, and the earthquakes would be intolerable as would be the heat and snowless Christmasses...guess what?

After living in New England for 55 years, all I miss is the seafood. That said..YOU WILL LOVE BOSTON!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston