Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 08:27 PM

126 posts, read 137,166 times

Advertisements

I am amazed by some of the prices that I see homes and condos going for around here. My friend put his 2 bedroom condo in the Neponset area of dorchester on the market for 615k last weekend and it's already had multiple offers and is pending. Another friend lives in the moss hill section of JP, has a house he did a lot of work to and put it on the market for 850k and it's pending, offer about to go through. I am FLOORED by these prices and what people can get.

One thing i noticed is that hyde park is still very affordable and I don't quite get what is so different about this part of Boston from dorchester or JP for that matter. I get that JP is nicer, but i see houses in HP selling for 400-450k range and i'm shocked by my friends 850k house price in JP. It's a 3 family 1400 sq ft very basic house!! it has nice updates but come ON. It's still Boston public schools.

HP seems nice to me...why is it so cheap? The part near Mattapan seems undesirable but Readville, Fairmount seem pretty nice. How is it still that so inexpensive compared to everywhere else in Boston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 08:32 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,235,563 times
Hyde Park is cheap because it's fairly far out. It's more suburban compared to Neponset or JP. By car Readville is further from Boston then places like Woburn or Stoneham to the north. Those would be better comparisons.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:35 PM

126 posts, read 137,166 times
JP does not seem that close to greater boston. There's no redline. Dorchester at least has the redline.

West Roxbury prices I also don't understand. What is desirable about west roxbury?

Old 05-13-2018, 10:50 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,235,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lologal321 View Post
JP does not seem that close to greater boston. There's no redline. Dorchester at least has the redline.

West Roxbury prices I also don't understand. What is desirable about west roxbury?
JP has the orange line. And I personally find JP to be a pretty neighborhood (when you get away from the heath street projects).

Old 05-14-2018, 06:44 AM

2,948 posts, read 5,195,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
JP has the orange line. And I personally find JP to be a pretty neighborhood (when you get away from the heath street projects).
West Roxbury is predominantly Caucasian and safe, so that is very desirable to some.

Plus don't teachers, police, firefighters, etc., still have a Boston residency rule -- or has that been relaxed long ago?

Old 05-14-2018, 06:57 AM

9,885 posts, read 7,220,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Plus don't teachers, police, firefighters, etc., still have a Boston residency rule -- or has that been relaxed long ago?
There is a patchwork of regulations, union contracts, exemptions that have created a system where only 43% of current city employees are required to live in the city. But almost 66% of all city employees do.

Here is the source of my info.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:00 AM

3,222 posts, read 2,125,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lologal321 View Post

West Roxbury borders Chestnut Hill, Brookline, Roslindale, Dedham.
Hyde Park is and borders much less desirable locations.

You seem to not have a grasp of how Boston (or a lot of cities) function. As Bromley Heath was mentioned... It is a complete S4ithole, and the surrounding block seems like a third world country. walk 3 blocks up the street and you have million dollar and up homes. Same can be said for the south end, Dorchester and other parts

Old 05-14-2018, 07:40 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,840,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
West Roxbury borders Chestnut Hill, Brookline, Roslindale, Dedham.
Hyde Park is and borders much less desirable locations.

You seem to not have a grasp of how Boston (or a lot of cities) function...
...or of Boston geography: Jamaica Plain “not that close to Greater Boston” ? Geez, JP is in the inner ring of neighborhoods around Boston’s core. It may not have the red line but neither does Brookline. Does Brookline seem not that close to Greater Boston? Franklin MA is not that close, Plymouth not that close, etc. Hyde Park borders Milton, very desirable, and Dedham, desirable. It transitions into Mattapan on one side (not desirable) but then Jamaica Plain borders Roxbury. So who knows? I think the racial angle is part of it—Hyde Park being minority white now—but HP wasn’t highly valued relative to other areas back when it was all white. It’s a small, relatively invisible area. Until Menino mayors always came from prominent, influential and/or high-voting neighborhoods— Curley and Collins from Jamaica Plain, Tobin from Roxbury, White from West Roxbury, Fitzgerald, Hines and Walsh from Dorchester, Flynn from South Boston.

As GeePee points out, JP has the orange and a piece of the green lines. JP was a high-prestige area with estates on the hills around Jamaica Pond. Its later development as an urban neighborhood included some very elite sections like Sumner Hill, Moss Hill, Jamaicaway and many of the streets (like Eliot and Burroughs) on the ‘plain’ between Jamaicaway and Centre St. It slipped in the post WWII period but it’s back as a very desirable area. For a long time it was the only area within the city of Boston but outside Boston Proper that had social register families. West Roxbury is desirable but its more elite areas like Belleview Hill are not as desirable as the elite parts of Jamaica Plain. Part of JPs appeal is how it draws people from poor people in housing projects to working class neighborhoods to middle and upper class into a cohesive urban district. It has it all.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:36 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,800,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
...or of Boston geography: Jamaica Plain “not that close to Greater Boston” ? Geez, JP is in the inner ring of neighborhoods around Boston’s core. It may not have the red line but neither does Brookline. Does Brookline seem not that close to Greater Boston? Franklin MA is not that close, Plymouth not that close, etc. Hyde Park borders Milton, very desirable, and Dedham, desirable. It transitions into Mattapan on one side (not desirable) but then Jamaica Plain borders Roxbury. So who knows? I think the racial angle is part of it—Hyde Park being minority white now—but HP wasn’t highly valued relative to other areas back when it was all white. It’s a small, relatively invisible area. Until Menino mayors always came from prominent, influential and/or high-voting neighborhoods— Curley and Collins from Jamaica Plain, Tobin from Roxbury, White from West Roxbury, Fitzgerald, Hines and Walsh from Dorchester, Flynn from South Boston.

As GeePee points out, JP has the orange and a piece of the green lines. JP was a high-prestige area with estates on the hills around Jamaica Pond. Its later development as an urban neighborhood included some very elite sections like Sumner Hill, Moss Hill, Jamaicaway and many of the streets (like Eliot and Burroughs) on the ‘plain’ between Jamaicaway and Centre St. It slipped in the post WWII period but it’s back as a very desirable area. For a long time it was the only area within the city of Boston but outside Boston Proper that had social register families. West Roxbury is desirable but its more elite areas like Belleview Hill are not as desirable as the elite parts of Jamaica Plain. Part of JPs appeal is how it draws people from poor people in housing projects to working class neighborhoods to middle and upper class into a cohesive urban district. It has it all.
The knowledge and articulation of that knowledge from some of the people here continues to surprise me.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:23 PM

2,948 posts, read 5,195,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post

Good analysis here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston