Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2008, 12:41 PM

31 posts, read 189,275 times

Advertisements

Maybe I shouldn't acknowledge I'm a "newcomer" since I hear there is some hatred towards gentrification (or maybe that's urban legend stuff). Anywho, I just moved into an area east of Tufts University and looking to do something! Giving you a bit of a demographic -- I'm 22, male, young professional and out of college, kind of on a budget, etc.,etc.

Where's a good place to hang out, have a beer, have fun? I was walking down Broadway last night and saw "The Pub" and it was packed. Maybe I should just walk down to Davis?

One thing I found the hard way, moving from a nice small town, is parking in Somerville is nearly impossible! I didn't look for apartments with lot parking and now I'm fighting for street spots! Not to mention I didn't realize how big of nazis the ticketers are. I ran around the blocks for a good 10 minutes beofre finally seeing one on the wrong side of the street. instead of risking going around the block to park the right way, I just jumped in. $20 ticket within 8 hours! WTF! From now on I'm walking to Basket Market and taking the car only to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 01:32 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,484,270 times
Yes welcome to Bostonia. My wife and I had our cars towed twice in the first week for not knowing the rules. Read those parking signs carefully, don't park within 6 feet of a fire hydrant or a sidewalk ramp/corner. and NEVER park in private TOW ZONE parking lots.

Don't worry about "gentrification" in Somerville. Worry about it if you move to Ft Hill, DOT, or Dudley Sq, but it's not an issue in SV.

Yes Davis Sq for sure. From there you can catch the Red Line to all the fun - Harvard Sq, Park St Station and downtown. Check out the Boston Common, Public Garden, Quincy Market, Newbury St, North End, all that. The world is at your doorstep my friend - enjoy!

Here's some Pix:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/4396172-post9.html

Old 12-13-2008, 11:36 PM

19 posts, read 61,248 times
Haha...if you weren't in Somerville, I'd say ditch you car and just walk or T everywhere. Bostonian is right though, Harvard Sq is hopping at night! They have tons of hole in the walls and huge venues that it'll take time just to go through all the selections. They have great restaurants and a very diverse crowd. Not sure where you're from -- but if it's down south from NYC or even Chicago, you'll be disappointed with the nightlife of Boston. I love the city, but the 2am curfews does impact it negatively. The theater district is right at park st station to catch some 'broadway'-type shows if you're into that. I saw the lion king, wicked, phantom of the opera, etc... there. Blue Man Group has Boston has a host city. Since you are near Tufts -- there's also tons of MIT/Tufts/Harvard frats up there. Granted since you're out of college now, that may be old news -- but since I went to BU, I remember great times I had over there (partying with Jessica Biel? Natalie Portman! Awesome). If you're into the more sophisticated scene -- Southie is really ramping it up recently. They have some EXCELLENT hotel bars being developed basically every day. Of course, the Back Bay is still a great venue for day/night life.

So, I guess to answer your question -- Tufts area, there is things to do if you look for it -- but just take the T everywhere and you'll definately hit something worthwhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston