Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2009, 05:18 PM

41 posts, read 144,143 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am considering a relocation from Portland, OR to Natick, MA. I was wondering if anyone could give me their personal opinions on living in Natick. Seems like a nice town from what I've read online. Also, doesn't seem too far from Boston or the ocean. (right now I have a one hour drive from Portland to the ocean which is really not a bad drive....wouldn't want to drive longer than that if possible) Anyway, would appreciate any info available on living in Natick. (weather, crime, cost of living compared to Boston, etc.) Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 07:50 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,909,334 times
Natick is a nice pleasant suburban town. Heavy emphasis on the word "suburban." Natick has a nice clean downtown, with some basic small stores and eateries, and a community arts center, where there are various arts-oriented programs for the local population, as well as having occasional musical acts by current singers who are somewhat lesser-known but still may have national audiences, or singers who were pretty big names in the past (like the '70's, maybe '80's).

For the most part, Natick's shopping is heavily mall-oriented. Big complex of malls and strip malls along a road through the north side of Natick, and the town of Framingham next door. As you might expect with a mall-based economy, there are plenty of restaurants in the local area, but the food scene is heavily oriented toward chain restaurants. However, the local area does have some small local-character eateries scattered around. You just have to get to know the area and kind of search those out in areas between the malls. In addition to the downtown area, non-mall shopping in Natick also is found in a few small neighborhood commercial areas that have everyday needs kind of businesses, such as convenience and grocery stores, pizza/sub shops, and the like. In some neighborhoods you can walk to this kind of very basic local shopping, but Natick is not a place where you're going to find a wide variety of coffee shops or cozy high-end pubs a short walk from any residential street in town.

The neighborhoods vary. There are some sections that are basic post-war subdivision suburbia, and others that have a nice well-kept established look, with modest but well maintained Victorians, and the south side of town has a woodsy suburban character, with larger yards, and not much in the way of even basic neighborhood shopping.

All in all, Natick is a pleasant, middle-class, family kind of town. If you like this kind of town, Natick is a nice version, and worth checking out. If you prefer coffee shops and eclectic local shopping, the entire vicinity of Natick--the western suburbs outside of rt. 128/I-95--is an area that's not so likely to meet your needs, depending on how flexible you are about local character.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:16 PM

26 posts, read 55,440 times
Have to agree with the other poster....Natick is the suburbs....Boston takes 1/2 hr. ..you can go by
train. Think soccer Moms and carpools South Natick is highly desireable....but not as easy access
to the mall. Google.com and use the map to give you a good idea. From Natick to the start of the
cape your looking at 1.5hrs. to 2 hrs. in the summer to get there......but worth the trip - Martha's
Vineyard and Nantucket are boat trips but a great destination.

You might find these links helpful too...good luck if you do make the move.
Public Schools Chart - Boston Magazine (http://www.bostonmagazine.com/boston/public2009 - broken link)

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed
www.city-data.com

Last edited by Yac; 01-04-2010 at 07:43 AM..

Old 12-29-2009, 05:24 PM

109 posts, read 324,014 times
I think Natick is a great town. Many families have lived there fore generations, and love it. Every time I go there, I like it more. There's a beatiful town common, commuter rail, close to the Framingham/Natick shopping, easy drive to Boston. Nothing fancy, just a great town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston