Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 02:35 PM

219 posts, read 878,271 times

Advertisements

Does Boston have a city tax deducted from your paychecks along with state and fed taxes?

I've heard of some of the larger cities have actual city taxes deducted from paychecks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 02:59 PM

2,726 posts, read 6,117,733 times
No.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:31 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,308,854 times
No.

New York City has a city income tax of just under 3.65% for city residents making over $50,000, and slightly lower for brackets below that income level. The New York State income tax rate is 6.85% on all dollars of taxable income for anyone making over $20,000. Combined they total about 10.5%, which is almost double the Mass. state income tax rate of 5.3% that a Boston resident would have to pay.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:40 AM

1 posts, read 28,172 times
thanks, this answered my question.
NYC+NYS+Fed=35.5%of my paycheck in NY

Old 10-17-2010, 09:11 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,482,084 times
No, and in fact, Boston has one of the best tax deals around for residents. Property tax is like 1.2% compared to up to 3% where I am now. Further, of the 1.2%, the first 90K or so is exempt from any tax at all ... so Taxachusetts .... well my property tax bill was typically like $350 ... per year! Sales tax is 5% but doesn't apply to groceries and necessities (diapers, medicine) ...

Old 10-18-2010, 06:57 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,018,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
No, and in fact, Boston has one of the best tax deals around for residents. Property tax is like 1.2% compared to up to 3% where I am now. Further, of the 1.2%, the first 90K or so is exempt from any tax at all ... so Taxachusetts .... well my property tax bill was typically like $350 ... per year! Sales tax is 5% but doesn't apply to groceries and necessities (diapers, medicine) ...
Your property tax bill was 350$ per year??? I can't beleive that. Looking at zillow most 250K properties in boston pay around $3500, did you leave out a zero.

People call Mass taxachuessets because they have one of the highest per capita taxes in the country.

State tax levels in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What does this pay for, well Teachers in Boston make 90K after 9 years.
Cops make in excess of 200K, the ave is well over 100K.

Boston's top-earning police officers - Boston.com

Old 10-18-2010, 09:46 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,482,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Your property tax bill was 350$ per year??? I can't beleive that. Looking at zillow most 250K properties in boston pay around $3500, did you leave out a zero.

People call Mass taxachuessets because they have one of the highest per capita taxes in the country.

Your chart above is for state tax, not property tax. Property tax is collected by the locality. States with low or no income tax still need to pave roads and build schools and it costs no less. In TX, where there is no income tax, revenue is collected in other ways, the most dramatic is in the skyhigh cost of property tax. Boston's is by comparison, ridiculously low.

2010 Boston Property Taxes Increase

Given the above described formula, a $250K property would owe $1485. My property at the time was assessed around $150K.

A 250K house in Plano Tx would be assessed a $5205.00 tax responsibility, $4727.69 with the Homestead exemption.
Welcome to Collin County, Texas Online

Quote:
What does this pay for, well Teachers in Boston make 90K after 9 years.
Cops make in excess of 200K, the ave is well over 100K.
Boston's top-earning police officers - Boston.com
My wife, the out of work teacher, doesn't agree with the 90K after 9 years teacher story. That said, I guess a lot of Bostonians, including me, believe teachers and cops - along with firefighters - deserve to be paid well. More, there's nothing wrong with good paying jobs.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:35 AM

793 posts, read 1,454,043 times
Quote:

Not true at all. According to the Tax Policy Center, the Tax Burden in Mass is ranked 23rd in the nation, below the US average.

The Tax Foundation - Tax Research Areas > Massachusetts

Using tax revenue to measure burden shows a true lack of basic understanding of tax burden. If you filter your link to measure percentage though, Mass falls right down to the middle of the pack where it belongs.

It is incredible what people still believe when the facts say otherwise, the Taxachusetts label is so outdated its not even funny.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:58 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,308,854 times
Quote:

Lies, damned lies and statistics. That is per capita, in straight dollars. Mass. is one of the higher income states so the taxes relative to people's income or wealth are not as high. Even on your table Mass. is barely in the top fifth.

Tax-oming, anyone? Tax-esota?

I'd hardly want to live in any of the states in the bottom half of that list anyway.

And Boston teachers make 90K in 9 years? Only if they have a Doctorate or a Master's plus 60 post-degree credits. Anyway, what's wrong with well-educated teachers in a tough district making 90K after NINE YEARS? Their income barely moves once they hit that level. 25-year-old corporate lawyers in Boston make twice that in their first year.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:34 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,845,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post

And Boston teachers make 90K in 9 years? Only if they have a Doctorate or a Master's plus 60 post-degree credits. Anyway, what's wrong with well-educated teachers in a tough district making 90K after NINE YEARS? Their income barely moves once they hit that level. 25-year-old corporate lawyers in Boston make twice that in their first year.
What's wrong is that a good teacher does not require a doctorate. Most of them don't even need a masters for that matter. A bachelor's degree and lessons in classroom instruction should suffice.
In addition, 90k is too much for a job that you only spend 38 weeks of the year doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston