Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 11:39 AM

11 posts, read 19,740 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I am young Danish woman at 23 years planning on moving to Boston for 6 months in a year or so, but I am at a totalt loss as to where to live. I'm pretty sure I'll be working in the area of Beacon Hill (around Joy st.), but is that the place to live? Is it cheap or inexpensive? My first priority would be to live with a hostfamily, but I am also looking for possible shared apartments. But it is so hard to look for somewhere to live, without knowing anything about the different areas of Boston. I would like to avoid "dodgy" areas, but I don't mind commuting

Can anyone were help me??

Sincerely,

Pernille
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 01:53 PM

746 posts, read 3,499,662 times
Beacon Hill has many apartments, mixed in with the town houses, but they are expensive, even the "back side". Still many choose to live there for the convenience.

Boston, Beacon Hill area, is no place to look for "inexpensive" housing. It would be like me wanting to live in Copenhagen on a budget and to be near all the attractions.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:31 PM

Thank you for that comparison! Have you got any suggetions on other places that would be preferable on a low budget?

Old 08-26-2009, 03:09 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,911 times
Cheaper neighborhoods would be like Fenway, Kenmore, Allston and Brighton. Lots of college age students and lower rents than downtown or in Beacon Hill and the Back Bay.

Some might also suggest Jamaica Plain, but I can't say which parts there better than the others.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:32 PM

23 posts, read 106,812 times
Hi, I am not from Boston but am moving there in a couple of weeks and I read a lot about it. If you don't mind commuting you can try Malden-it's further north.I would say it's pretty cheap compared to the other areas. we visited it last month and it seemed ok, you can take a train to north station or I guess a bus to the subway

Old 08-27-2009, 01:49 PM

2,726 posts, read 6,113,588 times
Malden is a fine suggestion. It's safe and very convenient if you're within walking distance to the T (subway). My only concern would be a 23 year old girl might get bored pretty quick. There isn't not a lot happening in Malden.

I'd suggest looking for a roommate someplace near the Green line (subway) between Kenmore Sq and Allston. There are a lot of young people in those areas, and roommates are always helpful socially. A roommate in the North End would be my second pick.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:07 AM

Cliff Clavin; Thank you so much for taking those things into consideration! There are so many things to think about. I don't mind commuting at all; I'm much more concerned about not being left all by myself for 6 months

But which subwayline goes to Beacon Hill?

Old 08-31-2009, 02:08 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times
The Red Line goes to Mass General/Charles Street, which is a block away from Joy Street. (And Charles is the most charming street in the world). If you lived in Malden or that area, you could take the Orange line to the Red line (transfer at Washington St., I think) and it would be an easy and safe commute.
Malden is not student-age heaven like Allston/Brightton, but then again, rents are much better, you can still live in a roommate situation, and you won't have party-hearty drunken people all over your neighborhood.
Beacon Hill is one of the all-time great and beautiful neighborhoods, a short walk to to the Esplanade (where the July 4 fireworks and concerts are held), antique shops, old fascinating buildings. It's really great that you'll be working there. The after-work "let's have a drink/dinner" scene can't be beat, but yes, you've got to live somewhere cheaper.
Best wishes. Wow, a job on Beacon Hill. You'll love it!

Old 09-01-2009, 09:44 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
Why has nobody suggested Cambridge or Somerville?

Heading west (across the river) from Beacon Hill, the Red Line stops at Kendall Square, Central Square, Harvard Square, Porter Square, Davis Square and Alewife. These stations are in Cambridge, except for Davis, which is in Somerville. The Porter/Davis area on the Cambridge/Somerville border is (1) near the Red Line; (2) has good nightlife and a lot of young people; (3) still not generally full of noise or drunken people in every street. Rent with roommates is do-able, though likely more expensive than Malden. Malden, though affordable, really does not have much to do for a younger person coming all the way from Europe.

I'd look in the Porter, Davis, Inman, Central, or Teele Square areas.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:21 PM

Holden 125: I have actually been wondering about why noone suggested such a place a Cambridge, because I'd read alot about it. But it sounds very interesting!

So here's a completely different thing: A 2 Bedroom apartment, what does that include? Is it 2 bedrooms and a livingroom, or is it just two bedrooms and no livingroom?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston