Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2007, 12:03 PM

40 posts, read 259,770 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I am 22 and will be graduating from college in August. I recently went to Providence to visit and interview for a job and took the bus to Boston for the day. Needless to say, on my trip to Providence I fell in love with Boston! My friend and I are seriously considering making the move. I have a pretty good chance at getting this job in Providence, however after seeing Boston I think I would enjoy living there more. Would it be crazy to live a little south of Boston and commute to Providence for work? I was thinking that traffic might not be as bad since most people would be coming into Boston (I would be doing the opposite). I was also thinking maybe I should live in between Boston and Providence. Do you guys suggest any specific areas to look into? My friend needs to be within walking distance to public transportation since she does not have a car.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 08:58 PM

49 posts, read 254,176 times
Bad idea.

It would get old really fast. Espicially with bad weather.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:57 PM

4 posts, read 17,185 times
There is commuter rail line that runs from Boston to Providence. It runs fairly often and their expanding the service soon. If you could find a place in between the cities that is close to one of the stations that might be a good alternative to avoid the traffic.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:32 PM

10,023 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megad00dle View Post
Hi everyone!

I am 22 and will be graduating from college in August. I recently went to Providence to visit and interview for a job and took the bus to Boston for the day. Needless to say, on my trip to Providence I fell in love with Boston! My friend and I are seriously considering making the move. I have a pretty good chance at getting this job in Providence, however after seeing Boston I think I would enjoy living there more. Would it be crazy to live a little south of Boston and commute to Providence for work? I was thinking that traffic might not be as bad since most people would be coming into Boston (I would be doing the opposite). I was also thinking maybe I should live in between Boston and Providence. Do you guys suggest any specific areas to look into? My friend needs to be within walking distance to public transportation since she does not have a car.

Thanks!
You could do it, here is the schedule: http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_ma...Redisplay+Time

Halfway between stations are located in suburban towns such as Canton, Sharon, Mansfield. You'd need to find apartments within walking distance of the stations and that could be a challenge. Other than that, people from southern Mass do commute to Providence. The thing is, you are only 22 and may find it boring to live out in a suburb.

Old 05-04-2007, 04:40 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,583,073 times
I know a guy who has done it for 5 years. Different strokes for different folks. Why not just move to Providence, then do a job search for jobs in Boston??

Old 05-07-2007, 08:21 PM

40 posts, read 259,770 times
Thanks for the comments everyone. I do agree that the commute will get old. I will definitely check out the MBTA website. I love your city and hope I can work something out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston