Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2009, 11:27 AM

20 posts, read 79,038 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I posted on here a couple of months ago looking for ideas for fun things to do with infants and grandparents in Boston and got some great suggestions. Now I have some other "random" questions that I hope someone can answer for me. Working F/T and being a dad doesn't give me as much time to Google/research things myself these days!!!

Background: My wife, my son (19 months old) and I are flying out to Boston from California to meet my parents (from Scotland). We're surprising my mother with our appearance (or more likely her grandson's) for her 60th birthday and we're staying at the Lenox Hotel which is in the Back Bay, at the corner of Boylston and Exeter streets in Copley Square.

Questions

1. It's my mum's birthday on Dec 4th. Can anyone recommend a quiet but good/excellent place for breakfast/lunch/dinner that is toddler-friendly? Somewhere within walking distance of the hotel?

2. Where is the biggest/best Santa's grotto? My wee fella is dying to see Santa again... and I'm sure the grandparents are too :-)

3. For the moms and dads: Other than the usual suspects (Boston Common, Duck Tour, Childrens Museaum, etc) are there any things like storytimes/indoor playgrounds that might be close by for us to entertain our little guy with?

4. My wife and I will have a well-deserved date night. Unfortunately, I'm being dragged to see the Nutcracker... again... but I get to choose a nice restaurant/bar for dinner/drinks. It's at the Boston Opera house - any bars/restaurants nearby that anyone can HIGHLY recommend? I'm a jeans and collared shirt kinda guy as opossed to a pants/jacket/tuxedo guy if that helps narrow the list :-) Price doesn't really matter, but if it's $60 per plate then it should at least be the best food that Boston has to offer :-)

5. Are there any special events that aren't listed in Ticketmaster/CityGuide in the Boston area that might be of interest? Again, we're mainly looking for kid-friendly stuff like Christmas tree lightings, Santa storytimes, etc?

Note that we won't have a car so we're kinda tied to things within 2 miles walking distance or something close to a underground train (T?) stop.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and TIA for any replies. Boston here we come!

Cheers,
Lee

PS: Here's where our hotel is

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 01:52 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
First of all, you probably picked just about the best location possible. You're in a very good spot. You have every branch of the Green Line and the Orange line as well as commuter rail and Amtrak right out your door (Copley Station for green and Back Bay for the Orange and regional/national rail) so getting anywhere won't be a problem at all. Check the MBTA website for public transit information and note that you're less than 5 minutes walking from both the Copley stop and the Back Bay stop.

Now, to answer your questions:

1) I rarely recommend this place as it's a bit cliche Boston and they have some other locations, but seeing as your from California and they're from Scotland AND you have a young one, Legal Seafoods in the Prudential Center (Boylston Street Entrance is closest) is a good bet. It has good seafood and will be more than accommodating for the little guy. If you're a bit more adventurous, I like the Chili Duck (directly across from Prudential Center) on Boylston St. It's thai, but it's pretty good (especially if you like duck). It'll be quiet enough for everyone and toddler friendly. Finally, if you want something a little more special/ unique, try Top of the Hub. It's on the 52nd floor of the Prudential tower offering stunning views of the city. It's pricey, but since it's a tourist destination, they are accustomed to having young children in the restaurant. Business casual or even decent jeans and a sweater are fine, but you may want a reservation.

2) The shops at Prudential Center (this place keeps coming up) about 2 blocks from your hotel from your hotel has a good Santa. You should have no problem getting his picture there.

3) There's plenty. The Museum of Science has plenty for your little guy to see (very child oriented) as does the Aquarium (easily accessible by subway from your hotel). Right next door to you is the Boston Public Library. It's worth checking out simply for the architecture, but you should have no trouble finding a quiet spot in the children's section to pick out a book and read to your little one. The best part about that is it's free!

4) There are PLENTY to check out. If you don't do Top of the Hub with the family, it's an excellent place to get drinks before or after your show (the food could be better, but it isn't terrible) as the view is excellent. It's right near your hotel, but it won't be hard to get to/from there in relation to the Opera House via the subway or a cab (probably about $8 in a cab). My absolute favorite place in Boston is a creative Japanese place about a 10 minute walk from your theater called, "O Ya." Your jeans and collared shirt will be fine there. The food at O Ya is some of the most highly regarded in the country (it's not cheap though... prices are listed on the menu in the link) according to New York Times, Gayot, etc. If you can, I would suggest going there. Another good one for dinner or just drinks in an upscale, casual atmosphere is K.O. Prime in the Ninezero hotel just a few minutes away from the theater. The food is great and the atmosphere is cool. It's cheaper than O Ya, but not cheap. Another great place is Marliave on Province St (I think the address is technically Bosworth Street but it's on the corner of Bosworth and Province... both little more than alley ways). This gem is hidden a bit (check it out on google), but the food is great (I suggest the Roast Beef Sandwich and the Clam Chowder... not traditional). The atmosphere is very comfortable and the prices are reasonable (it feels like it should be more expensive). Kennedy's across the street from Marliave is a good place for a drink. Ivy is also cool. A bit "trendy" but good food, casual atmosphere and good drinks. I think that's enough to get you started.

5) I believe the lighting ceremony at Prudential Center is Saturday the 5th at 4pm. You may want to check at your hotel to be sure (it MAY be the 3rd). That's right around the corner from you and it's one of the biggest in the city.

Boston's easily walkable and the T (which you have access to) will get you anywhere else. Enjoy your trip!

Old 12-02-2009, 07:55 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Just wanted to add: THIS is a good list of things to do this month in town for under $25. Checking the Boston globe's site is always a good idea.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:37 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
Not sure exactly of the nights or duration of your trip...

But, as far as near your hotel, Stephanie's on Newbury seems very popular over the years (on Newbury & Exeter, I think, VERY near). Sugar Heaven (candy), Ben & Jerry or Emack & Bolio (started locally) or JP Licks (local also) are all on Newbury St. for ice cream. Teuscher (Swiss) chocolates is also on Newbury. Not sure if your toddler has a sweet tooth yet...

Is the toddler too young for a tour and photos of Fenway Park? It's open all year.
Photo idea with the child: at the statue of Ted Williams placing a ballcap on a young boy's head, outside Fenway.

Don't forget ice skating on Boston Common. Should be nice around 5 pm when the lights in the trees are shining. The city's Christmas tree lighting is Thursday evening. The lights on Commonwealth Avenue Mall will be lit also -- the best architectural walk/holiday lights combo in the city. It'll be a lovely walk at 5 pm or later from the Common, thru the Public Garden onto the Commonwealth Avenue Mall, then to Newbury Street's shops and more lights, to your then nearby hotel.

"Finale" is a local 'plated desserterie," started locally, now at 3 locations. Great pastries for takeout, or can sit before or after the show for a glass of sherry as you watch them make your dessert to order (you can see it being prepared from a nearby mirror, supposedly). That's a quick $6 cab ride to the Nutracker, near the Public Garden.

The newly-opened W Hotel has a restaurant, "Market," which is created by a nationally-known chef.

The Paramount on Beacon Hill's Charles St. is very popular, even with visiting celebrities. Charlie's Sandwich Shop on nearby Columbus Ave. is small but very popular for breakfast (not sure if open Sundays).

Oh, don't forget a photo with the bronze "Make Way for Ducklings" (famous children's book by a Maine author). Not sure if they still put red Santa hats on the ducks for Christmas. It's in the Public Garden, near Cheers.

Irfox mentioned the Pru lighting on Saturday. They no longer have an outdoor tree (terrible decision!), but maybe it's an indoor tree?

A fun photo would be in front of the bronzed FAO Schwartz bear, moved from the toy store site when it closed, to in front of the Floating Hospital for Children, down the street from the Opera House.

Faneuil Hall Marketplace has a nice tree, as does Macy's atop one of its entrances. Christopher Columbus Park near the Aquarium and Faneuil Hall has a lovely walkway with a trellis lit up in dark blue lights with white trim. Very eye-catching.

Have a memorable weekend!

Old 12-03-2009, 07:58 AM

1 posts, read 4,088 times
Default Hello from The Shops at Prudential Center

I stumbled upon your inquiry and thought I would suggest that you check out our website ([URL="http://www.prudentialcenter.com"]www.prudentialcenter.com[/URL]) ... don't want you to miss Santa! Santa is here on the weekends only and pictures are free with a donation to Globe Santa (they collect $$ and then purchase gifts for less fortunate children at the end of the season). Lots to do ... and the best advise I can give is to stop in at our Customer Service Desk. We share it with the Visitor's Bureau and can provide suggested stops, maps, directions, etc.

Since you are traveling with a little one ... please note that if he gets testy (I remember those moments well with both of mine) ... we have an awesome store called Isis next to the post office... they welcome parents all the time (no need to shop) to come in for a quiet break... let your little one crawl around, etc.

Safe travels ... and happy holidays!

Old 12-05-2009, 08:19 AM

403 posts, read 1,394,474 times
When I lived in Boston I loved Grill 23 on Berkley and columbus, Atlantic Fish on Boylston (very close to your location), Excelsior on Boylston by the public gardens, Capital Grill on Newbury, to name a few. Its been a while, and I left prior to the Mandarin Oriental's debut on Boylston with it's restaurants, whichI heard are good. Boston can be great. Enjoy.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:13 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,891,950 times
I second Atlantic Fish -- awesome place and far better than Legal, though I do love me some good Legal, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston