Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2009, 07:52 PM

103 posts, read 218,573 times

Advertisements

When i move ive heard boston is a walking city, should i sell my car and fly or should i drive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 08:45 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Depends on where you live. It's easier to live near the core of Boston or Cambridge (even Somerville) without a car as owning one and parking get VERY expensive. Boston is dense and walkable with a good subway, bus and commuter rail system that covers much of Eastern Massachusetts. However, if you live in an exterior neighborhood of the city (i.e. West Roxbury, Mattapan, Hyde Park, Jamaica Plain, etc) it will probably be easier to own a car.

In order to answer the question correctly, we'll need to know where in Boston you are looking to live, where you'll work, what you plan on doing for hobbies (if you're a hiker or nature lover, you may want a car to get to the mountains or woods). Personally, I live in Boston (Mission Hill) without a car and couldn't be happier. I couldn't imagine having one here. I take the ski train to Wachusett Mountain to ski from time to time and the commuter rail/Amtrak goes everywhere outside the city I need to go. If a car is needed, I borrow a friends (Zipcar is a good service to look into if you choose to go without a car).

In short, it depends on your situation and where you choose to live within the metro area itself. A bit more info could really help us give you the best advice.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:51 PM

haha yea i guess it would huh? Itll still be afew months or longer before i move, I have some research and 'soul' searching to do before i move, But Cambrige looks interesting atleast for the first year im there until i get the hang of things

Old 12-04-2009, 03:04 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,892,389 times
I have to disagree some with what LRFox said about outlying neighborhoods in Boston. While it is certainly easier to own a car if you life in Westie, it is by no means necessary. Neighborhoods like West Roxbury and Roslindale are very walkable and have good if less frequent access to downtown by commuter rail, along with very frequent bus service to the subway. You might not be able to walk to work downtown, but you can certainly take care of most of your needs within the neighborhood. The one exception to this would be if you are interested in frequent night life activities. The outlying neighborhoods shut down a bit earlier, and given that transit shuts down before bars, you may want to live in a place that allows walking home from entertainment.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:28 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,478,444 times
You should plan to live in downtown near one of the train lines, preferably one of the green lines. You should not bring a car.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:35 AM

3 posts, read 10,541 times
89David -- see other string. Try w/out car for starters -- despite the much-maligned MBTA, you can do quite well with light rail, bus and subway. Cars are v/expensive if you don't use much, and as IRFox says, the occasional use of Zipcar (or try the founder's newer venture: GoLoco.org).

Finally, check around college campuses for s/t sublet -- some students take term abroad and may be desperate to fill their slot in an apt. Try things out for the spring term months, which nearly gets you to summer when lots of sub-lets open up.

Good luck!

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-07-2009 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: link to outside blog

Old 12-07-2009, 09:06 PM

You guys have been so much help with this moving thing. I will ditch the car, which will also help me save for moving faster since I was going to sell mine and buy one for like 10k before I moved and I was gonna pay cash for it so... this lets me know not to blow 10k, instead use the money to move. Man you all have helped out so much. Posting a thread on here was not a mistake at all. Looks like I will be seeing you guys alot sooner than I thought.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:44 PM

My friend thats moving up there with me wants to know if he should buy a moped when he moves up there? I was telling him what all of you were telling me about not bringing a car, but he's been wanting one for a while and wants to know if its a good idea and if they're common up there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston