Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 11:52 AM

22 posts, read 135,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I say it all the time, so I'll say it again. Check Hotwire and try to bid on Priceline (Make sure you're bidding, because their normal service is no better than Orbitz). Check Hotwire and bid on Priceline about 2 or 3 days before you go and you will, without a doubt, get the best value.

These sites aren't like Orbitz, Travelocity, or even Kayak (the best of that bunch). The way they work is that Hotels use Hotwire and bidders on Priceline to fill unbooked rooms at the last minute. The result is a rate that is up to (and sometimes beyond) 50% less than what you see advertised on the hotel's website.

The catch is that you can only browse by star rating, price, and neighborhood. The reason this is fine for Boston is because the central neighborhoods are safe and walkable. For example, you could go to Hotwire and find something that says, 4-star Copley Square/Back Bay for a price of $59/night. You would only find out the NAME of the hotel after you paid. The reasoning behind this is simple. The hotel is using the Hotwire service to fill rooms that may go unbooked, thus, the rates are FAR lower than what the hotel or other travel sites are advertising so they can't post them. Priceline's bidding is essentially the same thing except you select a neighborhood and star rating and name your own price.

Some people don't like using this because they can't see a name before they book. In central Boston, it's almost irrelevant. Any hotel in the Back Bay/Copley area will put you within easy transit or walking distance to the park. You can make sure it's a 4-star. The prices will be about 2/3 (and more) of what you're seeing now. I use both of these services all the time. I just booked via Priceline, a hotel in Montreal. 4-star for $60/night for this weekend. I checked the advertised rate for the same room on the hotel's website and they're asking for $135/night. More than a 50% discount. A few weeks back, my girlfriend and I had a romantic night out in Boston. I used Howtwire and got a room at the Marriott Custom House Tower for $75/night. The advertised rate was $199. I've gotten $300/night New York hotels for $90 and $170/night San Fran hotels for $55. Since you've already booked a room, it can't hurt to check these services as the time to travel gets closer.
I have checked out Priceline and Hotwire. But we're a family of 5 and everytime I enter 2 adults 3 kids - it says we can't fit as occupancy is 4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 12:30 PM

420 posts, read 1,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJSMOM View Post
I have checked out Priceline and Hotwire. But we're a family of 5 and everytime I enter 2 adults 3 kids - it says we can't fit as occupancy is 4.

Do what my family did when I was growing up. Get a 4 occ room and make me sleep on the couch...

They joys of being the middle child, and the only boy.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:57 PM

12,836 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJSMOM View Post
Almost any hotel will tell you that the maximum occupancy per standard room is 4. Those sites use the same hotels as any other place you're looking. I'd just select 4 and go with it, just about any hotel will tell you that it's not a problem (even get you an extra bed). If it's not a risk you want to take, that's understandable, but I doubt it would be a problem.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwyre237 View Post
Do what my family did when I was growing up. Get a 4 occ room and make me sleep on the couch...

They joys of being the middle child, and the only boy.
Thats an idea - my son is 10 and an only boy with 2 sisters. Hehehe!

Old 04-28-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Almost any hotel will tell you that the maximum occupancy per standard room is 4. Those sites use the same hotels as any other place you're looking. I'd just select 4 and go with it, just about any hotel will tell you that it's not a problem (even get you an extra bed). If it's not a risk you want to take, that's understandable, but I doubt it would be a problem.
I'll give it a try and see what areas of Boston i get and prices. Thanks for all your help!

Old 04-28-2010, 03:00 PM

216 posts, read 668,175 times
I visited Boston in August 2009 and attended a game at Fenway. A group of us (4 adults) stayed at the John Hancock Hotel in the Back Bay area. It's walkable to Fenway - a good walk but doable if you're a walker. Also very close to the Orange subway line. Booked air and hotel on Expedia and got 3 nights with direct flights out of Chicago for $500 per person. Here's my review of the hotel:

Stayed here for 3 nights in late August. Choose the property because the price was right on Expedia and the location was very good. Group of 4 adults, no car rental. This property is a one block walk to the Orange Line of the subway and the Orange Line will get you anywhere you need to go in the city either directly or via connections to other lines. Many attractions in Boston are walkable from this hotel too. We walked to Boston Commons, the North End, Fenway, etc. Room was rather small. Bathroom was very small. But the room was clean and provided a complimentary breakfast and free computer use/internet in the business center which seemed to be open 24 hours a day. There is a Dunkin Donuts next to the hotel and restaurants and bars within a short walk. The hotel does not have bellboys or a taxi stand, but taxis are plentiful on the street. We stayed on the 7th floor and the room was quiet at night. So if you don't require many amenties and location and neighborhood are important, this is a good place to stay.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosez View Post
I visited Boston in August 2009 and attended a game at Fenway. A group of us (4 adults) stayed at the John Hancock Hotel in the Back Bay area. It's walkable to Fenway - a good walk but doable if you're a walker. Also very close to the Orange subway line. Booked air and hotel on Expedia and got 3 nights with direct flights out of Chicago for $500 per person. Here's my review of the hotel:

Stayed here for 3 nights in late August. Choose the property because the price was right on Expedia and the location was very good. Group of 4 adults, no car rental. This property is a one block walk to the Orange Line of the subway and the Orange Line will get you anywhere you need to go in the city either directly or via connections to other lines. Many attractions in Boston are walkable from this hotel too. We walked to Boston Commons, the North End, Fenway, etc. Room was rather small. Bathroom was very small. But the room was clean and provided a complimentary breakfast and free computer use/internet in the business center which seemed to be open 24 hours a day. There is a Dunkin Donuts next to the hotel and restaurants and bars within a short walk. The hotel does not have bellboys or a taxi stand, but taxis are plentiful on the street. We stayed on the 7th floor and the room was quiet at night. So if you don't require many amenties and location and neighborhood are important, this is a good place to stay.
Thanks for the info.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:01 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
How about the Marriott Copley? I love that hotel, and it's not a long walk from Fenway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston