Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2007, 06:41 AM

13 posts, read 76,932 times

Advertisements

Is the reverse commute from East Boston/Chelsea to Lowell ok? Maybe something like going from the Callahan Tunnel or the Mystic River Bridge to 93 to 128 to 3? Or would it be unthinkable?

And how's East Boston/Chelsea?

I also found a place in Methuen I was interested in (has decent amenities, and more importantly people I had a lot in common), and the commute to Lowell is fairly short. However, most people had low opinions of the area. It's near Riverside Dr, close to the I93, wondering about the quality of the neighbourhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 08:43 AM

967 posts, read 4,784,500 times
Chelsea is a pit - sorry to say. I'm not sure what your budget is like but what about Westford? It's a nice community not far from Lowell. Or perhaps Nashua, NH?

Old 06-13-2007, 09:17 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
If you think Methuen's bad, I don't think Chelsea's much better (if it's even better at all). If you're still single and not planning on having kids anytime soon, I don't think Methuen's really a bad place. It's mostly just petty crime in that area so it's still relatively safe and if you like the location, then why not? I think most people here have a low opinion of Methuen because of the school systems and the crime that's leaking in from Lawrence. It's definitely not the best place to raise a family, but if that doesn't apply to you, then I'd take a look there.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:24 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
There is no civilized way on earth to commute from East Boston to Lowell.
If you want an urban environment, Lowell has some great lofts and condos, plenty of ethnic restaurants and a good performance center (plus an AA baseball team).
Chelsea has some very rough areas but also some very high-priced housing, condoization. But that commute would also be dreadful. I wouldn't consider either.
I lived in Arlington and worked in lowell, and that went well. I now live south of Lowell and have also heard that Meuthen can have some rough edges but nothing like Chelsea or in-town problems.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:26 AM

13 posts, read 76,932 times
just the type of info I'm looking for, thanks

I found a place in Admiral's Hill in Chelsea that I'm interested in. The lure is living by the water, across from the skyline. But if the commute is deadly I may have to reconsider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
There is no civilized way on earth to commute from East Boston to Lowell.
If you want an urban environment, Lowell has some great lofts and condos, plenty of ethnic restaurants and a good performance center (plus an AA baseball team).
Chelsea has some very rough areas but also some very high-priced housing, condoization. But that commute would also be dreadful. I wouldn't consider either.
I lived in Arlington and worked in lowell, and that went well. I now live south of Lowell and have also heard that Meuthen can have some rough edges but nothing like Chelsea or in-town problems.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:23 PM

80 posts, read 390,167 times
I lived in Chelsea and moved out in 1990. Chelsea is trying very hard to make a better name for itself. They are rebuilding an old mill into a green condo complex. Yes, it has crime but most inner cities do even Lowell. Chelsea is diverse culturewise but has a high hispanic population. It was always a largely immigrant community as far back as the turn of the century.
If you are wondering why I moved out is was because I had teens and my house was too small.
If you do not have children or if you are not planning to have any in the near future I feel it is no worse or better than Lowell. Its proximity to Boston is great and public transportation is everywhere.
Admirals Hill is its own area and above the city.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:23 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Admirals Hill is its own area and above the city.

I remember friends having a sweet tiny redone apartment on the waterfront. However, it was quite under the bridge. Is that Admirals Hill?

Old 06-21-2007, 04:06 PM

80 posts, read 390,167 times
Admirals Hill is on a hill like the name suggests and looks down on the City and has a view of Boston. There are some nice apartments below the bridge which are old brick row houses. Most have been redone and the new courthouse is right near them.

Old 09-02-2007, 12:13 PM

24 posts, read 198,250 times
Westford is a good suggestion. It's a very beautiful town but wealthy. I lived in North Chelmsford right on the border because I couldn't afford Westford. Westford is an old town, has magnificent houses, beautiful town center, an arts museum. There is no public transportation however.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:41 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
I can certainly understand the lure of wanting to live near the water, however the commute to Lowell would be nothing short of a nightmare. Even as a reverse commute, I can't imagine putting myself or anyone else in that position.

Westford to Lowell is a pretty easy commute, a very picturesque town. The town website (The Westford Web Information Site, Westford, Massachusetts) is extremely user-friendly and even has its own forum! And no, this one is not affiliated with any realtor's websites Also consider Dracut or Chelmsford, not quite as nice, but prices are somewhat lower as well.

Someone mentioned considering Nashua, NH. I'd recommend Pelham or Hudson as well, however keep in mind that along with Mass income tax you'll be paying very high New Hampshire property tax. Yes you can get more house for the $$ but that may be negated by the increased tax burden. One thing is certain--taxes do not come down no matter where you live!

I'm around a couple of times every day, if you have any questions, feel free to send me a direct message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston