Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 08:39 PM

109 posts, read 141,831 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I have never been to Boston before and have heard great things, so have finally gotten around to making a trip during early July!

I am looking for a list of restaurants and bars that are the local best, not at all interested in the touristy places. Also not too interested in expensive meals, looking for places that are around the $15/meal range...Discovering a city's cheap eats is a favorite pastime. Of course making it to Fenway and some historic sites as well, but if there is anything you think I should see in particular, please let me know! I am in my early 20s, so probably looking for a younger/mixed crowd.

I'd appreciate any advice you could give...Thanks!

Samantha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 07:04 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
No Name Restaurant on the Pier is in your budget, it's primarily fried fish/seafood, local, "colorful," and delicious.
There are several places in the North End. The original Pizzeria Regina is there and three can dine on a large mozz with sausage and sodas, with enough left over for a cannoli and espresso in one of the espresso shops. You probably have enough left over from that $15 for a subway token.

Bring a small cooler or one of those thermal lunch bags you can fold in your suitcase. Take a blanket too, or lawn chairs if you have access to them. On the 4th, pack it with a sub, couple bottles of water, piece of fruit, and bring it over to the Esplanade in the early afternoon. Claim a spot near the Hatch Shell and stay in it, so you can enjoy the fireworks that night.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:15 AM

10 posts, read 20,248 times
You can go to http://citysbest.aol.com/boston/ and check out the different categories for restaurants and nightlife. I think this would be a good place to start.

having lived in Boston all my life i would tend to agree with most of these lists...outside of Bugaboo Creek on the steakhouse list.

If you are in Back Bay I personally like City Bar for some good drinks and a cool little scene, might be a little older crowd. Further down near the Omni Parker is Beantown Pub which is always good for a few beers, definitely a younger crowd.

If you want to venture a bit farther out Sunset in Allston is a good place for beer and fairly priced food.

I know some people might say Boca Grande but if you like burritos go to Anna's Taqueria. I think there are a few around but there is one in Brookline right outside Coolidge Corner, right on the Green Line.

I know you said inexpensive eats but you really cant go wrong all along Tremont St. and Columbia St in the South End. there are a ton of cool little places to eat and drink and its a vibrant scene on weeknights and weekends. I would highly recommend the Franklin Cafe.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:17 AM

10 posts, read 20,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
No Name Restaurant on the Pier is in your budget, it's primarily fried fish/seafood, local, "colorful," and delicious.
would also agree, no name is great.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:15 PM

793 posts, read 1,452,720 times
Here are a few of my favorite cheap eats around the city:

- First stop should be Chinatown. My favorites are:

Taiwan Cafe (Taiwanese): Taiwan Café - Chinatown - Boston, MA
Hong Kong Eatery (HK style BBQ Roast meats): Best Chinese Food in Boston: The Hong Kong Eatery
Great Taste (Cantonese-Try the Pork Ribs, out of this world): Great Taste Bakery & Restaurant - Chinatown - Boston, MA
Mei Sum Bakery (Great Baked goods, and my favorite Bahn Mi in town): Mei Sum Inc - Chinatown - Boston, MA
New Dong Khanh (Bubble Tea): New Dong Khanh - Chinatown - Boston, MA
Peach Farm (Cantonese Style Seafood-my favorite): Peach Farm - Chinatown - Boston, MA
Penang (Malay): PENANG: Malaysian Cuisine: Boston (http://www.penangusa.com/location_boston.html - broken link)

Now onto the rest of the city:

- The Helmand (Great Afghani Food, owned by Hamid Karzai's brother): :: Helmand Restaurant in Cambridge ::
- Emma's Pizza (All local ingredients): Emma’s Pizza » Home
- Yankee Lobster (Cheap seafood served in a fish market): Yankee Lobster Company and Fish Market
- Villa Mexico (Great Taquiera hidden in the back of Grampy's gas station): Hi my Friends!
- Orinoco (Venezuelan): Orinoco: A Latin Kitchen
- Sultans Kitchen (I've been living part time in Istanbul for work the past 6 months, and this is where I go to get my Turkish food fix when back in Boston): Welcome to the Sultans Kitchen Restaurant- 116 State Street • Boston (617) 570- 9009
- Silvertone (Cool vibe, great bartending and tasty American comfort food): Boston, restaurant, bar, Silvertone, Grill, where to eat in boston, drink, cocktails, 69 Bromfield Street, Massachusetts 02108, ph 617. 338.7887 fax 617. 338.7890
- La Verdad (Right across from Fenway, great Tortas and Tacos): Ken Oringer’s new taqueria, La Verdad, Best Margaritas, Best Mexican Food, Authentic Mexican Restaurant

There is also a great selection of Portuguese restaurants in our "Little Portugual" section of town East Cambridge:

- Portugalia (My favorite Prego in town): (Portugalia - Cambridge, MA) Home Page
- Casa Portugal: Restaurant Casa Portugal
- Muqueca (Brazilian Seafood): Muqueca Restaurant

For West Indian:

- Flames II (Near the MFA) Being Jamaican myself this is one of my favorite Jamaican restaurants outside of Jamaica: Flames II - Restaurant Reviews - Boston Phoenix
- Ali's Roti (My wife who is from Trinidad, says they make the best Roti skins she has had outside of the Island): Ali's Roti Restaurant & Takeout - Roxbury Crossing, MA

Well that should more than get you started, I'm sure people will chime in with suggestions in the North End (Little Italy), East Boston (Latin American) and all around the city. If there is any particular type of cuisine you like, just let us know and will steer you in the right direction.

Have a great trip.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:25 PM

793 posts, read 1,452,720 times
One last point about places to go out:

Irish Pub: Mr Dooleys is my favorite, they pour a good pint, all Irish staff and live music: Boston's Premier Irish Pubs

Beehive is a good spot for live music and cocktails: THE BEEHIVE :: BOSTON :: EATERY, BAR & LIVE MUSIC

If you are into live Jazz in an old school hole in the wall Jazz Club setting. Wallys is the spot: Wally's Cafe

For cocktails a must is Drink in Fort Point. Esquire Magazine named it one of the 3 best bars in the country and one of the 100 bars you have to visit world wide. No cocktail menu, you basically tell the bartender what you feel like drinking (flavor, spirit, etc..) and they steer you in the right direction. No flavored alcohol, just fresh ingredients, home made juices and ginger beer and a selection of 16 different bitters.
Drink

Old 05-19-2010, 07:51 PM

109 posts, read 141,831 times
WOW, thank you all! I will definitely not be leaving Boston hungry. If anyone has anymore recommendations, especially on museums and the like, I'd love to hear them!

Old 05-19-2010, 09:24 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,472,836 times
First of all, forget the Esplanade on the Fourth. That ain't gonna happen unless you camp out over night.

I think the No Name restaurant is a lackluster tourist trap, plus it's hard to get to. Much better seafood at Skipjacks. Most historic seafood is at the Union Oyster House which I think is great, others say meh. Well it's been in business for 200 years, so I suggest they must be doing something right.

Anyways, most important. The BEST BEST thing to do on BOS on the fourth is be at City Hall at 8am. You'll get to see an intimate nearly unadvertised ceremony and parade that is better than all the fireworks in the Charles.

The Bombay Cafe on Mass ave near Boylston across from Berklee University has a really decent all you can eat buffet lunch - I think it's gone up to $6.95 since I was there. The food is all good but their chicken korma is the best in the city. Also Pho Pasteur noodle soup is probably around 7 bucks and is a little piece of heaven.

Skip the MOS - it's for local kids. Go to the MFA - that's a world class museum. Call them. One day a week (Wednesday I thought) they have free admission after 5pm (5:30?). The little Harvard Museums are ok - just don't expect The Met.

Last edited by xS☺B☺s; 05-19-2010 at 09:39 PM..

Old 05-19-2010, 10:16 PM

639 posts, read 3,527,348 times
Hopefully you get this message. Check out the Dry Dock Cafe located at 7 Drydock Avenue. It's located directly in back of the Black Falcon Terminal. You can get there from Northern Avenue walk in the opposite direction from downtown Boston and as you pass Boston's World Trade Center. Keep going all the way past the Seaport Hotel, past the Yankee Lobster Company, all the way past the Pavilion where the concerts are held in the summer time. Oh go in to J. Pace across from the Pavilion though and pick up a good bottle of wine the Dry Dock Cafe allows people to bring their own liquor, which is awesome when you're on a tight budget. So any way, bring it with you, out the door and just past the Pavilion complex on the waterfront keep walking past the parking garages, till you come to a stop sign, facing you will be the Black Falcon Terminal. Turn right & look across the street, there's the Dry Dock Cafe, you can't miss it, you'll see the stairs for it there. Go in there for lunch during the week if you get the chance. If you want good seafood GO here. You would enjoy their seafood specials they post daily. If you can, they're open for dinner strictly on Thursday and Friday nights ONLY. This is your heads up with it so remember that tip, it's wonderful here. They have a board as you walk in, check it to see what there ($10) seafood specials are each day. They are well worth it & besides that, you can't beat it with a stick, it's awesome. You could even go here for breakfast some day if you're out walking around that end of Boston. Even for breakfast it's incredible. Here you'll see a lot of local politicians, policemen & firemen dining, THEY know where to go for great cuisine and now you know too.

Here's their menu so you can see what you're going to get. Scroll down to the dinner section & you'll see their seafood specials, have a wonderful time in our fair City, this Dry Dock isn't fancy, it's like your grandmothers kitchen or a cafetaria, nothing la-di-da about it at all, very comfortable and yes it gets crowded now because there's people like me on the internet telling every one about it. Well that's how good it is, so GO here and you'll be the same way, trust me:

Dry Dock Cafe - Boston Restaurant - MenuPages Diners & Coffee Shops Restaurant Search

Old 05-19-2010, 11:13 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,690,218 times
Default fenway

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsl5 View Post
Hi everyone,

I have never been to Boston before and have heard great things, so have finally gotten around to making a trip during early July!

I am looking for a list of restaurants and bars that are the local best, not at all interested in the touristy places. Also not too interested in expensive meals, looking for places that are around the $15/meal range...Discovering a city's cheap eats is a favorite pastime. Of course making it to Fenway and some historic sites as well, but if there is anything you think I should see in particular, please let me know! I am in my early 20s, so probably looking for a younger/mixed crowd.

I'd appreciate any advice you could give...Thanks!

Samantha
grab the tickets now if that is your wish! Tickets will be
sold out, and I have not seen yet if Boston will be at home then! Ride
the T for some fun! I loved to walk Boston Commoms etc. Harvard Sq would
be neat maybe Charelston? Do have a great time in Boston and enjoy! The Red Sox is a Boston love with the love of sports. However, read up b4 you do come, it may help you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston