Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 01:44 PM

108 posts, read 286,948 times

Advertisements

Visiting Boston this upcoming weekend from Texas and we are very excited!!!
Doing my research, I am finding that there are a lot of posts for lobster rolls and where to get a good one, but I don't see many for just plain lobster.
What is the difference between the 2? Price is probably our most important quantifier, with good taste being a close 2nd.

Also, what different types of lobster would ya'll recommend?
We will be staying in the North.

Thanks!
J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 01:59 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
A lobster roll is a sandwich. Usually, lobster meat and a small amount of mayonaise, sometimes with celery. It's served on a toasted, buttered hot dog roll.

A steamed lobster is just a whole lobster that has been steamed and served as-is. It's usually served with drawn butter (and a bib).

Old 04-27-2010, 02:19 PM

Thanks!
What about price? I would assume the lobster roll is the less expensive of the 2?
How much does a steamed lobster go for right now in Boston? How much is a Lobster roll?
Will a lobster roll fill me up, or is it just an appitizer?

Thanks!!
J

Old 04-27-2010, 02:38 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
It depends where you go, really. Expect to pay between $18-$25 for a lobster roll in the city. It's a regular meal-sized sandwich, usually served with chips/fries/coleslaw.Whole lobsters are priced according to their size and market value, which changes daily. I never order a lobster this way when dining out, so I'll leave someone else to give you a price check.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:37 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,452 times
Steamed is great. It depends on what you're in the mood for. I think if you are trying it for the first time, fresh and local, go steamed. It's an adventure if you haven't eaten one before. Many places will start running specials for the summer time. Keep us all posted when you are coming and someone might have a good tip for a restaurant that is running a special. I've seen twins as low as $20 away from the city in recent weeks.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:05 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,520,189 times
Ask if the lobsters are hard or soft shell; if they are hard shell, the shells are full of meat, if there soft shell, your buying less meat and expensive salt water.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:12 AM

Thanks everyone!
We will be flying in this Friday, April 30th and staying for the entire weekend.
Our hotel is in the North End.
I will try a lobster roll for sure, and depending on price a full steamed lobster. I cannot wait!!!

J

Old 04-28-2010, 10:27 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,452 times
Have a wonderful time- the weather is predicted to be glorious!

I hope you write us a follow up to tell us how you liked the city and the food.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:56 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,232,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
It depends where you go, really. Expect to pay between $18-$25 for a lobster roll in the city. It's a regular meal-sized sandwich, usually served with chips/fries/coleslaw.Whole lobsters are priced according to their size and market value, which changes daily. I never order a lobster this way when dining out, so I'll leave someone else to give you a price check.
I just paid $16 for a lobster roll at Kelly's Roast Beef... so you might want to go there. It was the one in Wellington Circle, Medford.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:26 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Lobster in Boston tends to be remarkably overpriced and pretentious. But if you're just needing to be able to say "I had lobster in Boston" and cross it off the list of things you need to do before you die, you should go for the boiled. You'll want Maine lobster, not rock lobster. Also, bigger doesn't mean better, when it comes to lobster. Bigger means older. And an old lobster has tough meat. You'll want to stick with 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 pounds (including the shell).

If you want a REAL lobster roll, come to Connecticut, to any of the shoreline lobster shacks, and get it the right way: picked lobster meat drenched in melted butter and served steaming hot and drippy on a crispy grilled hotdog roll.

The cold lobster in mayo is called "lobster salad" here in CT, and it's for pedestrians who've never had the chance to experience the real deal. Never sully lobster with mayo. It's sacreligious down this way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston