Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 10:15 AM

670 posts, read 1,175,043 times

Advertisements

You're smart to rent first, then decide on where you want to buy. When I lived in Boulder I rented a nice townhouse at the west end of Spruce. It was a great location, short walk to Pearl Street and hiking. It has changed since I lived there, the West End is more built up and vibrant. I have no clue what the rents are like now though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 12:04 PM
WiW WiW started this thread

167 posts, read 578,330 times
Thanks Katiana.

I've noticed that a lot of town homes have gas heat, but the stoves are electric. Are there laws against gas stoves in townhouses?

Old 06-12-2010, 12:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,957,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiW View Post
Thanks Katiana.

I've noticed that a lot of town homes have gas heat, but the stoves are electric. Are there laws against gas stoves in townhouses?
Not that I know of. However, electric stoves/ovens are the norm around here, with gas heat and water heaters. Go figure.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:04 AM

87 posts, read 416,922 times
So much for the Townhouse thing. If you're looking for racial diversity go elsewhere. Boulder is not racialy diverse. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:31 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,518,285 times
If you're willing to settle for a condo that isn't a townhouse, you'd have a much better chance of finding something near downtown Boulder for that price. As far as racial diversity...not so much. Some friends of mine were visiting from L.A. and we were on Pearl St. One of them said "This is the whitest place I've ever seen".

Old 06-14-2010, 08:00 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,335,597 times
I am REEeaaaallllyyy curious how so many people on this forum from out of state have narrowed their relocation choice to Boulder, that one specific garden spot as opposed to the greater Denver area/ Front Range corridor in general. Many of these people have never thoroughly visited the region before, and yet they're so sure Boulder is "it." Then they project requirements for housing that is completely out of line with the price range & type of community Boulder is.

If you want real ethnic/racial/national/religious/linguistic/political diversity in Colorado, plus affordability, try Aurora. There are places near the Aurora Mall which has a semi-walkable town center shopping area.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:17 PM
WiW WiW started this thread

167 posts, read 578,330 times
Thanks for your input vegaspilgrim. I looked at Aurora on google maps, and there doesn't seem to be easy access to trails etc, that I hope to find in the boulder area. (I know I didn't say that in my post). I also couldn't find townhomes in the Aurora Mall area (on Alameida Ave), so if you could point out some addresses in the area, I'd really appreciate it.

I plan to visit the area late this summer for a few weeks and I'm sure we'll come away with a better understanding of the towns. I have visited Denver, Ft. Collins & Colorado Springs in the past, but mainly on business.

Whoisjongalt and others,
The racial diversity would be good to have, but I know that it isn't realistic in the area. It isn't at the top of my requirements.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:56 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,335,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiW View Post
Thanks for your input vegaspilgrim. I looked at Aurora on google maps, and there doesn't seem to be easy access to trails etc, that I hope to find in the boulder area. (I know I didn't say that in my post). I also couldn't find townhomes in the Aurora Mall area (on Alameida Ave), so if you could point out some addresses in the area, I'd really appreciate it.

I plan to visit the area late this summer for a few weeks and I'm sure we'll come away with a better understanding of the towns. I have visited Denver, Ft. Collins & Colorado Springs in the past, but mainly on business.

Whoisjongalt and others,
The racial diversity would be good to have, but I know that it isn't realistic in the area. It isn't at the top of my requirements.
In terms of trails, creeks, and plains nature preserves for jogging/bicycling, that can be found in many different places all over the Denver metro area, not just Boulder. For example I live in S Aurora right near Cherry Creek State Park, which is quite beautiful and chock full of different trails. There are also many walkable entertainment/shopping districts all over too, not just Boulder. There are old, revitalized shopping districts in Denver such as 32nd/Lowell, South Broadway, East Colfax, old South Pearl St, the 16th St Mall, downtown Littleton & Arvada, Cherry Creek North, and many new outdoor pedestrian oriented malls, such as Northfield Stapleton, Southlands, Southglenn, Belmar. The Aurora suggestion was tongue-in-cheek, and other than being very diverse, probably not what you're looking for (Aurora is probably the most opposite place there is to a "Boulder" vibe). I think what attracts people to Boulder is it has a lot of neat things all in one convenient package-- the in-town trails & mountains/foothills access, a walkable downtown entertainment district, a major university with all the pros and cons that a college town atmosphere provides, some old charming neighborhoods, all wrapped up in one "brand"-- Boulder. But all the individual components of what makes Boulder Boulder can be found in various places throughout the metro area.

Last edited by vegaspilgrim; 06-14-2010 at 10:10 PM..

Old 06-15-2010, 10:11 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,957,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I am REEeaaaallllyyy curious how so many people on this forum from out of state have narrowed their relocation choice to Boulder, that one specific garden spot as opposed to the greater Denver area/ Front Range corridor in general. Many of these people have never thoroughly visited the region before, and yet they're so sure Boulder is "it." Then they project requirements for housing that is completely out of line with the price range & type of community Boulder is.

If you want real ethnic/racial/national/religious/linguistic/political diversity in Colorado, plus affordability, try Aurora. There are places near the Aurora Mall which has a semi-walkable town center shopping area.
Qute accurate. If you really want to live near Boulder, you could try Lafayette for the same. It's "diverse" in the true meaning of the word, a little bit of everything.

vegas is right in a later post that virtually every town in metro Denver has access to trails and other outdoor activities.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:06 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,962,627 times
Sure there are trails, walkable neighborhoods, etc. in other parts of the metro area but I think vegaspilgrim's remark is key (even though his intent was for you to look at other areas): in Boulder it's all wrapped up in one package. There are very few places in the country where you can walk from a vibrant downtown to mountains that are 3000 vertical feet above the town center. But it costs a lot.

In contrast, I live in southwest Fort Collins and can walk to two shopping centers as well as the foothills. These shopping centers are something but they can't really be compared to downtown Fort Collins in terms of shopping, dining, entertainment amenities. But if I moved to downtown, I would lose my easy walking access to the foothills. In neither case would I have good views of the mountains (which are limited to eastern Fort Collins). From what I've seen, the Fort Collins pattern is far more common: the attractions are dispersed. As a result, it is cheaper to live here then Boulder - but then you get what you pay for.

Last edited by xeric; 06-15-2010 at 03:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area