Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 05:48 PM

18 posts, read 77,033 times

Advertisements

Just curious, does anybody have an idea what the job market is these days in the Greater Denver Boulder area? I have a background in real estate acquisition, and also consulting services sales. I just ended a project here in upstate NY and my wife and I really loved the Boulder area which we just visited. We are thinking of relocating to the corridor between Denver and Boulder.

Job availability varies depending on your background and industry but I am curious if people have any insights or thoughts on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 08:55 PM

2 posts, read 15,872 times
Cool Hmmm, this should help....

The Boulder/Denver area had a big mushrooming of jobs (mostly tech,WWW related) in the '90s, then huge job losses and people fleeing in the early 2000's. Now it's sort of creeping back.

This IS a good place if you want to start your own business and be self-employed/entrepreneur. (Few gov't regulations or taxes, and a big customer base of people with moderate wealth and BIG $$$ wealth)

Last edited by mdz; 06-27-2007 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: trolling

Old 06-27-2007, 07:48 AM

Question Denver-Boulder Job Market

thanks for your input. It's confusing, there are some newsletter writers that are saying that labor market is tight and conditions are great. Denver-Aurora is a little better than US overall but the Boulder-Longmont area is much better.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:31 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,979,824 times
My impression is that the pendulum has definitely shifted toward the job seekers in terms of demand. From my personal experience it is extremely difficult to find available people with quality, up-to-date technical skills.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:33 PM

Default Job Market

Thanks for the encouraging input, I am going to try and get some feedback from recruiters and agencies.

Old 06-29-2007, 04:47 AM

11 posts, read 54,842 times
Question for tfox: Are you a hiring manager in the tech industry? And you've had trouble finding people with quality, up-to-date skills? If so, that's actually good to hear. My husband and I are in the tech fields (project manager and technical writer, respectively) and we're moving to the Boulder area this August. He's already employed (we're moving because he was transferred) but I'll be looking for contract work. I'd like to think I'm pretty skilled and current. . . anyway, I'm just curious about your statement and I wonder if you could elaborate. Thanks!

Old 06-29-2007, 12:52 PM

739 posts, read 2,949,659 times
I'm a high tech recruiter in the area and I can say there are lot of PM jobs out there, not sure about tech writer but market is definitely the best it has been here in the last 6 years. Good luck! There are lots of user groups that post jobs too, check them out and get on the list serves

Old 10-23-2009, 04:35 PM

19 posts, read 85,101 times
dj32
I have been a high tech recruiter here in Puget Sound but am taking a break to raise our two little children right now...

My husband is currently a Senior General Program Manager at Microsoft in Redmond, WA. Around 20 yrs. experience..excellent references and solid job history..not a job jumper.. has only worked for two major companies since graduating college.. We are considering moving to your area. - other past job titles he's had- Test Architect, Manager of Engineering Excellence Infrastructure Team, Product Unit Manager.

Would he be someone that would be of interest to you? If not you, do you have some other solid contacts (for direct placement-not contract) you could pass along?

cheers!!!

Old 11-29-2009, 02:12 PM

2 posts, read 10,815 times
Hello I am graduating in may of 2010 with a bachelors in business admin and my wife will be starting law school in 2010 in boulder. I was curios if anyone knows if there are job opportunities for someone who is not in a tech field.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:22 PM

44 posts, read 124,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ostreicher View Post
Just curious, does anybody have an idea what the job market is these days in the Greater Denver Boulder area?.
My opinion is that the market is not very good, despite any so called "positive statistics". Demand/supply - a lot of people moving in, few leaving, few new jobs being created. Existing job base too heavy in IT and services, Existing job base heavy in virtual work which could be done anywhere, just my opinion. Sense of security is questionable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ostreicher View Post
We are thinking of relocating to the corridor between Denver and Boulder.
Would make sense to be "equidistant" between each city in case you need to make a change and have the "sense of security" of being proximate to both cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj32 View Post
I'm a high tech recruiter in the area and I can say there are lot of PM jobs out there, not sure about tech writer but market is definitely the best it has been here in the last 6 years.
In these economic times I doubt its as good as you claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area