Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 08:44 AM

85 posts, read 474,870 times

Advertisements

My wife and I just bought a home at canterberry crossing in parker, it's being built right now. From what I've heard if a person hasn't been to parker for a while, they wouldn't recognize it. Depends on how much kid type activities you would be interested in I would think. Of the 2 houses you're looking at in parker the first one is definitely closer to the heart of town. My parents just bought right next to your second choice, it's 15 minutes to town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 03:08 PM

226 posts, read 1,219,849 times
i would choose boulder in a heartbeat. it's a much more fun town. parker is boring.

Old 08-18-2007, 03:55 PM

320 posts, read 1,733,391 times
We are looking in Parker. I liked the second house best. I want some land. tired of having my neighbors right next to me.
If at all possible why not go to CO adn visit before the move so you have abetter feel for the areas. Or rent initially so you're not forced to make a rushed decision.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:43 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
I can understand the choice of wanting to buy right away when you have teenagers to get settled in schools. It's tough to make a move at that age. I have never been to Parker but from everyone says, they are so opposite you really need to visit before buying.
I would think your teens would like Boulder better. We live in south Longmont. My husband works in Boulder. We love Boulder - just couldn't afford the houses. I would agree that Niwot would be worth looking into. Our son will go to Niwot High next year. Great school.
We have lots of friends who's kids go to Boulder High and are very happy.
I think what someone implied when they said zero growth was county, etc. We pay a lot in Boulder county to secure open space (I'm glad about that) so sprawl here isn't something you see a lot of. Longmont is pretty much built out on the south side for example.
I guess if you only are in Boulder occasionally and spend most of the time down on Pearl Street then the whole hippie thing might be more obvious. I guess since we do more family stuff there (our son is on the ski team for Eldora) we don't really notice it and frankly it doesn't bother us. It's a great town.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,980 times
Default Parker or Boulder

As others have mentioned, you are pretty much looking at very different communities. While we know Boulder from our sons attending CU, I can best give some info about your first Parker link. It is in the Pinery just south of Parker. We lived in the Pinery for over 15 years -- raised our three boys there. It is a fabulous place for families. No cookie cutter houses on tiny lots -- room to enjoy. On many lots there are fabulous Ponderosa pines and/or great views of the mountains. Schools are good as others have mentioned. Like most Douglas county communities, Parker growth has been crazy. The Pinery, however, is pretty much built out so it you know if your views of pines, mountains, etc. are going to remain. If you are so inclined to join, the Pinery CC is right there with a great pool, tennis, and golf. The town of Parker, however, also has a great recreational facility, too. The libraries are top-notch, too.

We recently downsized to a smaller home and moved to Castle Rock. This is another great community in Douglas County you might want to look at when you visit. It is west of Parker right off I 25 so it is really easy to get to Denver.It has a lot of charm and is also the same school district.

Good Luck in your house hunting!

Old 08-20-2007, 04:17 PM

4 posts, read 10,755 times
Depends on what you want. Boulder is where CU is located. It is really a granola type college atmosphere with a diverse population and it is the town where kids were told that sex outside of marriage with diverse people is okay...without parental consent. If that's okay with you then Boulder is great. If, on the other hand, you prefer a more conservative atmosphere go to Parker. Both places have good shopping surrounding them, and great places to eat.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:23 AM

616 posts, read 3,005,216 times
Wow, talk about extremes! I lived in Parker (The Pinery) and also went to CU in Boulder. There were things about both places that I liked. However, I would never consider raising kids in Boulder, especially teens, knowing what goes on there.

The post below made me laugh, because it summarizes Boulder in a nutshell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaria View Post
We lived in Boulder for almost 2 years –

The town itself is pretty – except for all the trailer courts. The flatirons are exquisite, and the campus is beautiful.

You'll love Boulder if you like:

Overpriced houses

Over priced trinkets in small boutiques

Lots of tie die bong shops

20 quack health care provider on every corner (there are an over abundance of unlicensed, untrained, and unethical people claiming to be healers in Boulder)

1000 Slum lords charging top dollar for rent

New Yorkers (there are tons of them in that town - yet everyone wants to blame Californians for Boulders problems - yet I ran into very few. Most people there are from the East Coast)

Snooty, snobby, stuck up people

Yuppies

Coffee snobs who hang out at Vics all day (Doesn't anyone have a real job in that town?)

Meat Eating Vegetarians

Closet Republicans

“Faux” liberals

Kids in brand new Range Rovers pan handling for drug money

Drug addicts harassing you for change

Poor people who want to trade for everything (hey man, I’ll give you a massage for that sandwich)

Bratty college kids

Pot Heads

Weird unsolved child murders

Old 09-04-2007, 12:06 PM

4 posts, read 23,837 times
Every now and then the thought of moving to Boulder crosses my mind, because of certain Buddhist teachers who are located there. That description above sounds a lot like where I grew up and lived for 30 years (Boston)! Boston is probably worse in almost all of those aspects (guessing, because I've never been to Boulder), so it doesn't sound like anything I'm not used to, but still... I think I'll return it to the back burner for now..

Sorry that's a little off-topic. I just thought it was funny how much that sounded like the city I ran away from, haha

Old 09-04-2007, 09:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Boulder, Colorado (CO) (pop. 94,673)

Quote:
Foreign-born: 10,829

Place of birth for U.S.-born residents:

This state: 22918
Northeast: 15370
Midwest: 20879
South: 10675
West: 12415
From City-Data. Therefore:
27%, Colorado
18%, Northeast
25%, Midwest
13%, South
15%, West

Quote:
New Yorkers (there are tons of them in that town - yet everyone wants to blame Californians for Boulders problems - yet I ran into very few. Most people there are from the East Coast)
Over half the US Born people in Boulder are from Colorado or the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area