Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 09:55 PM

5 posts, read 19,745 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering relocating to Colorado. I would like to hear opinions from anyone about the Nederland area. I found only two threads on Nederland and one expressed intense dislike while the other recommended it.

The information I found on-line about Nederland (Chamber site), the Eldora Ski Resort, the mountains and the actvities sounds great. We are 38 and 41, kids are almost out of the house, we enjoy outdoor adventure, laid back ppl, and healthy/organic/natural lifestyle. Want small town living not far from large city ammenities - we do not want to live large city life everyday. Schools, jobs, and housing costs are not factors for consideration.

I would greatly appreciate more information.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2006, 07:47 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
http://www.nederlandchamber.org/ they have info in the "frozen dead guy" days and a live webcam on their website.

mountain living + quirkiness = Nederland

Old 09-03-2006, 12:28 PM

45 posts, read 348,560 times
With a name like organicang - you'll likely like Nederland!

Old 09-03-2006, 04:29 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,520,022 times
Is Nederland up a bit from Boulder?

Few years back I was visiting a friend In Boulder and we drove oh about 45mn to this little town and I have forgotten the name of it, till I read this post and the name sounds familiar.

It was so gorgeous.

Old 09-03-2006, 04:42 PM

I just looked it up, and it is the place we stayed at.

It was so gorgeous there. My friend said it was pretty trecherous driving down to Boulder when the roads were bad.

Found this info for you OrganicAng
removed

Last edited by Marka; 09-04-2006 at 04:03 AM..

Old 09-03-2006, 09:47 PM

Thanks for noticing Concoulor3. I have been wondering if 2bindenver's response "mountain living + quirkiness = Nederland" is just what I am looking for. Quirkiness can mean a lot of things and it may just be the things I like.

I appreciate you looking it up to see if you had been there Atalanta. I am feeling even better about it since I read your comment "It is so gorgeous there". I guess it deserves a closer look in person. Did you find the people friendly? Where did you stay? Since we would be relocating from across the country and leaving family and friends, a friendly community (not closed and snooty) are the key to making this adventure one we will be glad we made. Any more feedback?
Thanks,
QuirkiAng

Old 09-04-2006, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicAng View Post
I appreciate you looking it up to see if you had been there Atalanta. I am feeling even better about it since I read your comment "It is so gorgeous there". I guess it deserves a closer look in person. Did you find the people friendly? Where did you stay? Since we would be relocating from across the country and leaving family and friends, a friendly community (not closed and snooty) are the key to making this adventure one we will be glad we made. Any more feedback?
Thanks,
QuirkiAng

No problem, brought back nice memories.
I don't think I can really answer your question on whatthe people were like.
We stayed over for one night at a friends place he was renting there.
I did not get to travel around the place.
But, from what I saw of people they were very friendly.
To me it was gorgeous pure and raw nature, which I love. And the people there, seemed to fit.
That's tough when your moving cross country.
If you can, I would go and stay there for a few days. I would do it before the snow flies, so you can get around. Snow flying in that area, my best guess would be early October.

Let us know if you get there and what you think of it.

Old 09-05-2006, 01:09 PM

Organicang: I grew-up in BOulder, and yes Nederland is West of BOulder in the mtns. It has at least doubled in size in the last 30 years. It is the gateway to Eldora Ski Mtn, which is the local ski area for BOulder. Lots of Boulder kids take the bus up there on weekends to ski. So, the roads stay pretty clear in the winter except during an actual snowstorm - but that's true for all of Colorado. Nederland was more of a commune area in the sixties and there are still a lot of hippie-throw-backs. It's considered more "green" than Boulder - if that's possible. However, you would probably still need to plan a trip to Whole Foods or Wild Oats market (Organic foodstores) once in a while for real speciality stuff. Basically, it used to be the place where hippies that could not afford BOulder would rent a cabin and live. I think it is a little more conventional, now - but free expression is still tolerated. It has a nice reservior and a tiny little downtown. There are quite a few gas stations, but that's due to the ski industry.
It does support a school.

Good Luck, Concoulor3

Old 09-06-2006, 09:08 PM

Concoulor3: Now you are speakin my language....Whole Foods, Wild Oats, and hippie throw backs that is. I was getting that impression by reading the various Nederland websites but I really needed someone who knows the area and is candid enough to just say it like it is. We are planning a trip to visit Nederland - Nederland wouldn't have been on our radar as much if it weren't for your help. Perfect assistance - thank you!
OrganicAng

Old 09-07-2006, 12:35 PM

OrganicAng: you might want to read the entry in TO Neder or Not to Neder... there is an entry that takes a fairly negative approach to Nederland, and while I don't agree with everything it says...altitude can take it's toll - although if you exercise and drink enough water, you can usually mitigate problems... anyways, it's worth reading since you are trying to get an honest prespective.

Best Wishes, Concoulor3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area