Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 08:23 AM

86 posts, read 150,981 times

Advertisements

Hello!
My partner/ husband and I recently retired young ( 51 and 60) and are seriously considering relocating to the areas between Boulder and Denver from Massachusetts. While we like Boulder, the cost of housing dictates we look outside the city. We also like the idea of being accessible to Denver for theater, events etc. We tend to like new, newer or remodeled townhouses or small single family homes. We want to be in a neighborhood where we will be accepted, and can become a meaningful part of the community. We have no kids, and want to spend up to 450K. We recently took a trip to the area, and looked at the following:
Boulder ( too expensive)
Louisville
Lafayette
Westminster
Broomfield
Golden ( I know this is not in the Boulder area, however the downtown was of interest)
Also anyone have any thoughts on the North End ( Markel) community in Louisville, Indian Peaks, or Legacy Ridge in Westminster??
Can anyone comment on the acceptance of gay couples in these areas. We are retiring from professional careers, and for the most part lead fairly conservative lives. We like the arts, like good boutique type shopping, but also need the Costos, Whole Foods, and Super Targets of the world near by!
We will likely rent month to month ( if we can find somethin like that) for a few months while we look for a place. Any guidance would be really appreciated. We have been planning our retirement for years, and have now narrowed our search to this area, along with one east coast location.

thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 08:39 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,057,812 times
Welcome to the area. I think you will be pleased with your choice. I know of nothing negative regarding the areas your looking at. Your idea of renting while exploring is a good one.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:55 AM

17,712 posts, read 29,839,573 times
Default Look in Denver

Look at duplexes in the Berkeley neighborhood of Denver.
Look at Highland's Village Garden Highland's Village Garden in West Highland
Look at Midtown New Modern Homes for Sale | Midtown - Denver, CO
These are the closest to Denver theater, events, etc.

Look at Bradburn Bradburn Village | Home
further away

Look at Belmar Lakewood Shopping, Dining, Entertainment & Luxury Living | Belmar

I live in the City & County of Denver and I can tell you that you that you will be welcomed.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:42 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,948,020 times
Boulder really fits your needs, and you can get a condo or townhouse for under $450k. It sounds like you have already checked out Boulder, but I thought I would mention it.

Good luck and Dave's recs above are all great areas too.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:56 PM

599 posts, read 953,778 times
Familiarize yourselves with Colorado's new alimony laws going into effect in January.

You may change your minds.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:19 AM

698 posts, read 2,047,862 times
I can speak to the acceptance of gay couples in Bradburn--you will be accepted and welcomed here. We have several gay families and they are valued and active members of our community. Honestly though, I don't think you would have problems anywhere in the area you are looking as this area close to Boulder tends to be more socially liberal than other areas (the southern suburbs for example, but even there I would think you would be fine). Colorado in general is very live and let live.

Bradburn is very, very social. You will know all your neighbors. Lots of things to walk to if you're interested in that. We're getting a Whole Foods Market within 5-10 minutes walking distance of every home in here. Hasn't broke ground yet, but will soon and should be completed fall of 2014. Bradburn is very different from every other neighborhood around here such as Legacy Ridge. It's designed to be walkable so the garages are all in back, we have small lots, and the houses are closer together. Neo-traditional architecture and some bright colors (not all beige).

Easy distance to downtown from here, about 30 min. Or you can take express bus from close park n ride in same amount of time. We do that a lot to attend events downtown.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:18 AM

Thank you for all the great info. We are excited about our relocation. We have been looking for " month to month" furnished rentals in the area while we look for a place to buy. It has been difficult to do this long distance. We did find a MTM ( unfurnished) in "Village of Legacy Ridge" in Westminster. Anyone know anything about this community? Again it will likely be for 3-6 months only.

Also are there any " negatives" we should be on the lookout for, example, airports ( flight pattern) , expansive soil issues, radon, wind mills ( existing or proposed ) etc??

Any areas of the towns I mentioned that we should be cautious about due to high crime etc?. AGAIN THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP. Bradburn Village does look intersting

Old 08-11-2013, 08:48 AM

698 posts, read 2,047,862 times
Crime in this area is not much of a concern. It's not that there isn't any, there is, but honestly it's very minor. There aren't too many areas in all of Denver I would worry about crime actually, even the in city neighborhoods.

There's a month to month rental in Bradburn also, called Bradburn Row--might be worth a look for you guys.

Expansive soils can be a concern here, especially in Superior. Make sure if you are buying new to ask about this and see the soil report. No problems with flight patterns that I know of. Def no wind mill issues, but there are some areas with gas wells/fracking, for example, in some parts of Erie and I believe Longmont. Radon can be a concern, but many homes have radon mitigation systems. Even without them the relative risk is very small, and mostly affects smokers. However, if the home has a finished basement you will be spending a lot of time in, worth looking into. We don't really have bugs that are a concern, and not many areas in flood zones.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:02 AM

17,712 posts, read 29,839,573 times
Default Beware

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglander62 View Post
are there any " negatives" we should be on the lookout for
1. Never buy next to vacant land. No matter what the zoning is today, it could change tomorrow. This is not Massachusetts.

2. Be very careful (super-duper extra careful) buying in unincorporated county areas. (MA has no such concept of unincorporated). It is way to too easy to "influence" (aka bribe) the 3-5 county commissioners.

3. The ideal structure to purchase is 3-5 years old.
a. modern design
b. expansive soil issues (if any) have shown their ugly face (Again, a somewhat foreign idea in MA. Here in CO, I had a concrete basement floor come up 6 inches in 18 months.)

Old 08-11-2013, 09:20 AM

Really good insight. Yes, I agree, the ' ideal' would be for a place even 2-10 years old, especially for the soil issues. Scary about the rising basement. We are people who like to do our research!

Bradburn1- thanks for he apartment suggestion. They look great. I just emailed them, as we are coming out the first week of September ( our house is sold!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area