Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 01:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times

Advertisements

I would think 80503 is Longmont. 80303 is S. Boulder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 05:26 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,960,237 times
Some of 80503 is in s.w. Longmont but also continues into Niwot.
And yes, a small portion of Gunbarrel is in the St. Vrain District, going to Niwot High:
St Vrain Valley School District

Old 02-05-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Some of 80503 is in s.w. Longmont but also continues into Niwot.
And yes, a small portion of Gunbarrel is in the St. Vrain District, going to Niwot High:
St Vrain Valley School District
Yes, I believe the boundary is Lookout Rd.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:43 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,960,237 times
Really, if you have a very specific school you want your kids to go to, your best bet is to always go to the district website and look at the boundary lines. Don't assume that just because a school is the closest to where you want to move, that that is the school you will be assigned to.
We live within walking distance to Silver Creek High School in Longmont, but are zoned for Niwot, so my son will ride the bus next year. They draw the lines funny - not that I'm complaining.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:46 PM

45 posts, read 170,228 times
Thanks for all the advice! I am going to use the boundary map as a safe bet. The school advised that I must have an address first, so I'll be there in June and have a housing helper or realtor show me apts in the Boulder HS district, don't want to go through open enroll because these schools get so full. Each one is trying to kick people to the other... LOL

Old 02-05-2008, 10:14 PM

Can I ask why you have focused so much on Boulder High? It's a good school, but so is Fairview and many other schools as well.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:54 PM

182 posts, read 668,722 times
I'm not sure about the Valencia apartments. The general neighborhood is good, but at least one of the streets just to the north- Lloyd or Sherwood, (or maybe both) is kind of an island of ick in the midst of a nice neighborhood. Aspen Grove is nice. As would be an individual rental in Winding Trail Village or Palo Park.

There are some pleasant larger complexes in Boulder, but a lot of the complexes are very studenty- not so pleasant for family living, Are you planning to look on Craigslist? Here are a few listings that I found just in glancing through for five minutes. I know that you aren't coming 'til June, but these will give you an idea of what is out there. I think a couple are duplicates, but with different pictures, so you can get a feel for the area.

Amazing Apartment in Boulder (broken link)

Summer/Fall Pre-Leasing: North Boulder Condo (broken link)

Condo for rent - 2br plus loft (broken link)

Boulder Country Club - Mountain Views - 2Bd/2Ba (broken link)

1.5 ba- BEAUTIFUL newly remodeled (broken link)

NORTH BOULDER CONDO (broken link)

I think this might be Valencia:
Apartment near Iris Ave (Jan - Aug) (broken link)

If I have time, I will drive by the Valencia tomorrow.

Light and Bright Condo For Rent in Gunbarrel! #70439 (broken link)

I'm curious about the preference for Boulder High- that's unusual.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:17 PM

45 posts, read 170,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicanaRose View Post
I'm not sure about the Valencia apartments. The general neighborhood is good, but at least one of the streets just to the north- Lloyd or Sherwood, (or maybe both) is kind of an island of ick in the midst of a nice neighborhood. Aspen Grove is nice. As would be an individual rental in Winding Trail Village or Palo Park.

I'm curious about the preference for Boulder High- that's unusual.

Wow! This is great!!! Thanks for that!!
You know I don't know the diff between Boulder HS and Fairview, I hear they're both excelling schools in BV... My daughter is set on it for some reason because she made some penpals over myspace that attend Boulder HS... I don't know... why would you say it's unusual, is one better than the other? Hopefully no drug problems and routy kids... your advise is so appreciated...

Old 02-06-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving2CO View Post
Wow! This is great!!! Thanks for that!!
You know I don't know the diff between Boulder HS and Fairview, I hear they're both excelling schools in BV... My daughter is set on it for some reason because she made some penpals over myspace that attend Boulder HS... I don't know... why would you say it's unusual, is one better than the other? Hopefully no drug problems and routy kids... your advise is so appreciated...
I don't think one is better than the other. My kids went to neither, so I can't comment too much. Both are traditional high schools, with high achieving students, from the University community and the large # of IT workers in the area. NO drug problems or rowdy kids? Can't guarantee that, but I don't think the rates are abnormally high.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:45 PM

2,887 posts, read 7,139,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't think one is better than the other. My kids went to neither, so I can't comment too much. Both are traditional high schools, with high achieving students, from the University community and the large # of IT workers in the area. NO drug problems or rowdy kids? Can't guarantee that, but I don't think the rates are abnormally high.
Among my kids and their friends (all since graduated and on to college and beyond), I know kids who "should" have gone to Fairview, who open enrolled at Boulder. I know kids who "should" have gone to Boulder, who open enrolled at Fairview. I know kids who went to New Vista; kids who went to Monarch; kids who went to Centaurus; kids who went to Broomfield. (some open enrolled, some went to their "assigned" school) Some even switched schools midstream. Individual kids were happier or less happy with their schools/choices, some had more or less trouble, but all the schools offered plenty of opportunities for kids of all types, and none are dangerous or bad schools. However, there are certainly drugs and some rowdy kids at all the schools, including Boulder and Fairview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area