Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 03:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times

Advertisements

My kids went to Monarch in Louisville. Their exeriences, and their frends' experiences, and my friends kids' experiences are similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 04:22 PM

182 posts, read 668,722 times
I don't think that anyone can get away from drugs- they are everywhere- city, country, suburb, farm, housing project, gated community.

Keep in mind that this is Boulder- not LA, NYC, or even Denver. You aren't going to find any school that is as rough as some of the inner city schools- not even close. That said, most people that I know that have a preference prefer Fairview or Niwot High.

I have several family members who are/were teachers here, including one who was at Boulder High. She was pretty horrified with some of the students a few years ago and said that she would never go back. She graduated from Boulder High (as did some of my siblings), but felt that it had become too rough for her. She has very high standards with respect to behavior, dress, etc.

I think your daughter can get a good education at Boulder or Fairview. I would feel uncomfortable with Boulder High (at this point- and it will be a long time before my kids are high school students), and would lean toward Fairview or Niwot as far as a neighborhood high school. Most of the kids at all of the schools are going to be good kids, and all of the schools are going to have some bad apples . For me, the number and degree of rottenness at Boulder High is just too high. But there will be kids headed to the Ivy League and many fine schools out of Boulder High. Competition for teaching jobs is stiff- you will find excellent teachers throughout the area.

Also, you may want to talk to the school district about the possibility of getting into Peak to Peak charter as an entering freshman- it is an incredible school.

I was not able to drive by the Valencia apartments today, but I will give it another try tomorrow.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:44 PM

I just drove by the Valencia apartments, and they looked just fine. I drove in through the Willow Springs townhomes on Juniper. The WS townhomes are a little bigger, nicer, and have more green space. Parkside park is just north and across the street, and is a very pleasant spot. It has a big green space away from the play area. The Valencia apartments looked well kept, and I think if you get one away from 28th and Iris, and closer to the Willow Springs, it will be pretty quiet. It's a great location for easily getting downtown& around, and as you probably already know, is right next to a little shopping center, and very close to a Safeway. The Safeway was redone and is nicer than your typical Safeway. I really hate Safeway, but I know lots of people who like that one.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:00 PM

45 posts, read 170,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicanaRose View Post
I just drove by the Valencia apartments, and they looked just fine. I drove in through the Willow Springs townhomes on Juniper. The WS townhomes are a little bigger, nicer, and have more green space. Parkside park is just north and across the street, and is a very pleasant spot. It has a big green space away from the play area. The Valencia apartments looked well kept, and I think if you get one away from 28th and Iris, and closer to the Willow Springs, it will be pretty quiet. It's a great location for easily getting downtown& around, and as you probably already know, is right next to a little shopping center, and very close to a Safeway. The Safeway was redone and is nicer than your typical Safeway. I really hate Safeway, but I know lots of people who like that one.
Oh you're awesome for doing that, thanks so much!!! I am jealous that you're there and I am here dying to move already!!

I am not a Safeway fan nor mainstream supermarkets... I like health food stores like Whole Foods... I am assuming since Boulderites are aka Granolas that there would be plenty of those out there

Old 02-08-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving2CO View Post
Oh you're awesome for doing that, thanks so much!!! I am jealous that you're there and I am here dying to move already!!

I am not a Safeway fan nor mainstream supermarkets... I like health food stores like Whole Foods... I am assuming since Boulderites are aka Granolas that there would be plenty of those out there
I'm a native- are you even more jealous now?

I had to do an errand over there, so it was not a big deal to drive by.

Safeway actually has an organic department, but I find their prices high. You'll have lots of options. Whole Foods is not far to the south, at 28th and Pearl. In the same complex, you will also find Vitamin Cottage, which often has the best prices. A little further to the south and west, in The Village shopping center, a Sunflower Market is going to open in the spring. They're a discount organic grocer that is Boulder based, but has not had an outlet here.

Closer to downtown, we have what is now a Wild Oats. It's near the library, just a few blocks from the mall. The Wild Oats in South Boulder, in the Basemar shopping center, is going to become essentially a giant deli.

In North Boulder, we have a great local market called Lucky's. You can get there quickly by taking 28th street north "around the horn," and then swinging to the south on Broadway. Lucky's is a smaller market that carries a lot of local and organic products, but has a few regular things too. They have amazing sale prices, and it is a very friendly place.

Ideal Market is a local institution in my neighborhood, at the intersection of Broadway and Alpine. Wild Oats bought it, and did a good job of keeping it special. We're not sure what Whole Foods is going to do. It will still be called Ideal, but we're not sure what it is going to be like.

So, you will have a LOT of options when it comes to food shopping.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:32 AM

7 posts, read 15,446 times
TropicanaRose, you are a testament of why we might move to boulder!! i am so impressed at how heplful the people in your city are to people who might be moving there!! we are coming at the end of april to "investigate". haha. we are planning to move to boulder from biloxi, ms (which is home) so were a little nervous but people like yourself and many others on this forum make me feel more sound in our decision. thanks alot for everything!!!

Old 02-19-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa parker View Post
TropicanaRose, you are a testament of why we might move to boulder!! i am so impressed at how heplful the people in your city are to people who might be moving there!! we are coming at the end of april to "investigate". haha. we are planning to move to boulder from biloxi, ms (which is home) so were a little nervous but people like yourself and many others on this forum make me feel more sound in our decision. thanks alot for everything!!!
Thank you, that is very sweet, but there are many posters here from all over Colorado that I feel contribute amazing information and perspective.

I'm glad that you are coming for a visit, so that you can get a better feel for Boulder in person. I know that Katiana gave you some things to consider in another thread. While I don't agree with everything she posted, she has a lot of great insight, and I think it is very worthwhile considering that no place is perfect! In my younger days I made a couple of sight unseen moves and was very surprised by what found! Even with the wonders of the internet, there is no substitute for visiting in person, so you are very wise to investigate that way. I love your enthusiasm for my hometown, and I hope that you will find it as special as I do. If you decide to settle here, the very best thing that you can do is to have a realistic financial plan *which includes having a good job before you move* to make it happen.

I just noticed that Katiana's post was not to you, but to billeethakid, but it is still worth considering!

Last edited by TropicanaRose; 02-19-2008 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: made a mistake!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area