Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2016, 08:55 AM

2 posts, read 1,693 times

Advertisements

Hi:

We're moving to the Arapahoe Ridge neighborhood (Baseline and Eisenhower) this summer.

Our 11 year old daughter is scheduled to go to Manhattan Middle School. Any thoughts on this school vs. Nevin Platt Middle School (we are zoned for Manhattan but Nevin Platt is more or less the same distance). Any info on the quality of the school (academic and social environment) would be really appreciated. It's hard making a school decision from so far away! Thanks again and enjoy the spring.

Zip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 03:09 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,946,364 times
Manhattan is a nice school. It's not viewed as academically rigorous as Summit or Southern Hills, but I think the advanced classes are fairly close.

Platt has Platt and Platt Choice. Platt Choice is a charter school within the regular school. I have heard good things about Platt Choice, but I don't know anyone from Platt.

If Manhattan is your assigned school, then you have to go through the open enrollment process to attend a different school. That process happens from January-February. If there are unfilled spots at Platt, you might be able to switch schools this summer. I would email BVSD and ask.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:35 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,044,404 times
I don't know much about Manhattan, but I do know a thing or two about Platt.

My son went to Platt for his 8th grade (we moved the summer before). Platt is a good school, it's considered slightly more "academic" than Manhattan, but not as "academic" as Southern Hills. I can tell you it's nowhere near as challenging as Summit (my younger one is a 6th grader at Summit).

Regarding academics: when my older one was at Platt (5 years ago), they had advanced LA class for 8th graders that anyone could apply to. My son did, and loved it! It was his favorite class, and the teacher that taught it then is still there. They also did math assessments for incoming students (6th graders and others) and did a good job of placing you into the correct level of math. They have Advanced Geometry as the highest level of math there, which is great. I think they have all sorts of different levels for incoming 6th graders - regular 6th grade math, 7th grade for advanced kids, condensed 7th/8th math and so on.

My son didn't love the school, however. He came from a private school, and didn't like Platt's climate. It was a little too cliquish for him. He made some friends, all great kids, and he is still friends with some. According to him it was much easier once he went to High School, because it was so big and anyone could find a group for them. But I think that social thing was in part due to the fact that he was a new 8th grader - not having grown up with those kids. Platt has two feeder elementaries - Douglas and Heatherwood, so for those kids who go there, they know about a half of the school the first day they show up.

My overall impression of Platt was that it had great teachers, and some (not all) good counselors. They just hired a new principal this school year, so I can't tell where things are going. I think the demographics was just a little too uniform - overwhelmingly white upper middle class. I think Manhattan is a little more diverse.

Platt Choice is a "Experience based education". They go on lots of field trips and do lots of hands on learning. If you are interested in this, research it further. It is a focus school, and as such, you need to open enroll, no one is assigned to it.

Manhattan supposedly has good band and orchestra program, but I know at least one family who was assigned to Manhattan but open enrolled to Platt because they like Platt's band better.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:38 PM

2 posts, read 1,693 times
Really helpful! Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
View detailed profiles of: