Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 09:10 PM

6 posts, read 19,746 times

Advertisements

My husband and I plan to move to CO this summer and are still deciding where to settle. We'd like to be "near" Boulder. Both Lyons and Longmont are appealing to us for different reasons. I'm interested in knowing the following:

-Political/Social climate - are they more liberal or conservative areas?

-Housing costs

-Alternative options (ex. health food stores, natural health care)

-Pros and cons of living in either place

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2006, 03:38 PM

5 posts, read 35,004 times
My husband was born in Boulder, raised in Longmont until he was 13, then moved to Lyons and graduated from school@ Lyons high school. I know a good deal about both areas although my husband would really be the one to chat with. Lyons is a small town right in the mountains, I love it. Longmont is close to the mountains, but in my opinion just a pretty average town. I think Lyons would probably be more expensive due to it bing a mountain town and more desirable. I'll have my husband check this site later, he can give you th run down on all 3 of these places.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 976 times
Small mountain towns have a little bit of nosiness. But not even close to the amount that small towns on the plains have. There is a lot of outdoor activities and plenty of other things to keep your mind occupied. I would love to move back to the mountains!

Old 08-25-2016, 07:06 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,510,442 times
I lived for a year in Longmont in the Prospect neighborhood that earlier post mentioned. I loved that neighborhood but didn't like Longmont at all. It's feels like your in Wichita or something, a small downtown that is ok and the rest is just suburban sprawl and strip malls. I always went to Denver or Boulder to do anything.

I lived in Lyons for a couple of months and loved it. It's got a real mountain town feel but it's close to Boulder. The only down side was how far it is to Denver. Otherwise I'd move there tomorrow. You might also consider Nederland if you like Lyons.

Old 08-26-2016, 03:46 PM

670 posts, read 1,172,995 times
People! This post is nearly 10 YEARS OLD! The OP moved here years ago.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:34 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,947,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipchik View Post
People! This post is nearly 10 YEARS OLD! The OP moved here years ago.
In the last 10 years both of these towns have been through dramatic changes, so yeah it's a bit wacky to resurrect this thread. Oy! the internet.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:03 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,526,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
In the last 10 years both of these towns have been through dramatic changes, so yeah it's a bit wacky to resurrect this thread. Oy! the internet.
Please describe those changes.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:38 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,947,032 times
Longmont has changed from a blue color working class town to a nice middle to upper class town full of white color workers.

Lyons had significant damage in the floods and a lot of homes were destroyed. This caused a displacement of a lot of residents, and a lot of them did not return because the new prices were so high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area